Looking for a very fine brush that can still hold pain.

Thread: Looking for a very fine brush that can still hold pain.

Default Looking for a very fine brush that can still hold pain.

Could anyone recommend a very fine brush that can hold paint for a decent amount of time? Maybe 10+ seconds? And by fine I mean fine enough to paint patterns on capes and such for 28mm range.

I bought a brush by Army Painter called "The Psycho." I found the brush difficult to use because it didn't have many bristles to hold paint, so I ended up having to re-fill my brush every stroke... It's no fun painting if you're spending more time loading paint onto the brush than you are painting a figure. :\

In my experience, my Reaper Kolinsky sable size 1 has just as fine a point as your psycho. The only benefit from using a tiny brush like that is that you can see around the bristles. Large bodied brushes can be difficult to see around when attempting to do pin point tasks, like dotting the hot spot on an eye. But a nice brush of a standard size has about as fine a point as any smaller brush.

windsor and newton series 7. only way to go.i would say a size 1 and 2. maybe a 0 if you like tiddly free hands and eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Countersnipe View Post
    Could anyone recommend a very fine brush that can hold paint for a decent amount of time? Maybe 10+ seconds? And by fine I mean fine enough to paint patterns on capes and such for 28mm range
    Yes, W&N's or Raphael 8404's(2/0).
    I bought a brush by Army Painter called "The Psycho." I found the brush difficult to use because it didn't have many bristles to hold paint, so I ended up having to re-fill my brush every stroke... It's no fun painting if you're spending more time loading paint onto the brush than you are painting a figure. :\
    I've not found the Army Painter brushes to be as good as the repurposed Watercolour brushes we use, but they are, as they are named, basically for Army painting.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Thanks for responses! I think I'll look into the series 7 or the Raphael series, as i've heard good things about both. In all honesty I think the brush I got may have been defective... It really had about 1 or 2 single hairs which composed the brush's "point." I've looked at pictures of the W7 and Raphael brushes and they look completely different than the psycho brush I bought. Thanks again, appreciate it.

I've seen the Psycho. It is supposed to be like a 0000000 size brush, so 1 or 2 synthetic hairs is about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Countersnipe View Post
    Thanks for responses! ...........appreciate it.
    Our pleasure, this is a community and most of the veterans (OK old farts like me) have the experience of making enough mistakes ourselves that we'd rather save people money and time by sharing what we've done 'wrong' so that they don't have as much frustration as we did.
    'Cos let's face it when I first started painting miniatures, GW didn't exist, nor did personal computers and the Web was what Spiders left behind.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.