Questions after first game

Thread: Questions after first game

Default Questions after first game

Really glad the game is totally different than Blood Bowl. Mostly in that it doesn't take 3 hours to play.

Some questions my opponent and I had after playing are below. I read the PDF faq, which is really nice, but I didn't see these questions:

If I lose an attack and take a point of damage, and my opponent has Hate, does he score a point for injuring me?
    If I use Brick against an opponent with Hate, does he score?
    Are Ringers considered Runners and Bruisers for Tactics cards? (Scatter)
    Can you attack knocked down opponents? (I assume this one is in the rules somewhere but we couldn't find it)
    Does Speed Training apply to all moves, or just activations? (Scatter, Zombie team ability, etc)
    How do you apply the effect of the Upset card if it's dead?

"Can you attack knocked down opponents? (I assume this one is in the rules somewhere but we couldn't find it)"

I will say consider you can't until we get official ruling.

"How do you apply the effect of the Upset card if it's dead?"

when i played at the Expo and dragon con last year if we played a dead card nothing happened on the card.

I can't find hate os scatter in the rules.

"
    Are Ringers considered Runners and Bruisers for Tactics cards? (Scatter)"

yes. page 7

Question? the yellow number on the top left of a ringer card. this is the least amount one must bid to get it? I assume it's the same as the upgrades but it doesn't say that in the rules.
    Last edited by Dayminkaynin; 04-16-2014 at 09:39 PM.
    Nos es Legio.

Hi guys, sorry for the delay, but here are some answers:

If I lose an attack and take a point of damage, and my opponent has Hate, does he score a point for injuring me?
    Hate is pretty straightforward: "You score 1 point whenever you injure or kill an opponent's figure." So if you cause damage to a figure, you score 1 point, it doesn't have to necessarily be through an attack that you initiated.

If I use Brick against an opponent with Hate, does he score?
    Using Brick would not give a point to an opponent with Hate because it is not him that is injuring your figure, you're taking 1 damage voluntarily.

Are Ringers considered Runners and Bruisers for Tactics cards? (Scatter)
    Yes, as Dayminkaynin pointed out, it's stated on page 7 "Any game effect from cards, abilities or upgrades that applies to runners or bruisers also applies to ringers."

Can you attack knocked down opponents?
    No, you can't. A space with a knocked-down figure in it is considered unoccupied, so there's nobody to attack.

Does Speed Training apply to all moves, or just activations?
    Speed Training only applies to a figure's normal movement, not to card effects, follow-ups or being pushed back.

How do you apply the effect of the Upset card if it's dead?
    If you have a burned Upset! card, any other Upset! cards you play are dead, and thus have no special effect whatsoever, just like any other dead card.

The yellow number on the top left of a ringer card. this is the least amount one must bid to get it?
    Yes, that number is the minimum bidding amount.

Thanks for the answers!

Quote Originally Posted by Loophole Master View Post
    Hi guys, sorry for the delay, but here are some answers:
    Speed Training only applies to a figure's normal movement, not to card effects, follow-ups or being pushed back.
    Then are Team abilities considered card effects? (Zombies)

Also some questions from our second session: Again, apologies if these are in the rules, we searched and searched and didn't find them.

Are upgrades cumulative? (eg. If I have 2 copies of speed training, can I add 2 to my movement)

Huddle says discard 3, not up to 3. Does a 'do all you can' apply, or can you not play this card if you don't have 3 cards left to discard?

If all players end up bidding all their cash on an upgrade and the bidding is tied, what happens? (neither player has won, and neither has 'dropped out)

Do 'play' and 'burn' mean the same thing? (Can you use Booster Brew to cancel Demon team ability/Does it count as a cheat if you do?)

Can damaged players be substituted at period breaks, or are subs limited to only those players who have been benched or killed?

Does Relay Training extend the killzone one square for hand offs, or can you 'pseudo-diagonal' a hand off by counting 2 squares away from the ball carrier?
    Last edited by locksmith; 04-18-2014 at 09:05 AM.

Going to try and answer everything for you from the rule book or official FAQ answers. Hope this helps you out.

Quote Originally Posted by locksmith View Post
    Then are Team abilities considered card effects? (Zombies)
    In the case of the Zombies team ability Shamble. This fits into the non-normal movement so if you have Speed Training, Shambling will always only get you one movement space for each model.

Are upgrades cumulative? (eg. If I have 2 copies of speed training, can I add 2 to my movement)
    Yes, Page 24 of the rules, "You can put as many as you want if the same slot if they have the same name, in which case their effects stack"

Huddle says discard 3, not up to 3. Does a 'do all you can' apply, or can you not play this card if you don't have 3 cards left to discard?
    I would say that the "all you can" discard applies. Though I find it hard to see where someone would have less than 3 cards and I can only think of one situation where the could be possible.

If all players end up bidding all their cash on an upgrade and the bidding is tied, what happens? (neither player has won, and neither has 'dropped out)
    A bid can not be tied. The bidding is done round robin so if you are unable to bid more than the current player then you have to pass. Check page 26.
    "Each upgrade has a minimum bid printed on it; the first bid has to be for at least that much cash. Afterwards the next player on the left can raise or drop out."

Do 'play' and 'burn' mean the same thing? (Can you use Booster Brew to cancel Demon team ability/Does it count as a cheat if you do?)
    Yes, play and burn are the same thing. According to the card yes, you can use a Booster Brew (it says play as an energy card) to cancel the Daemon team ability. Yes, it still counts as a cheat card if you do.

Can damaged players be substituted at period breaks, or are subs limited to only those players who have been benched or killed?
    The way I read the rules substitution is limited to benched or killed players. (pg 18) Mainly because of the procedure for half-time.

Does Relay Training extend the killzone one square for hand offs, or can you 'pseudo-diagonal' a hand off by counting 2 squares away from the ball carrier?
    Not sure on this one yet.

Thanks a lot mcs1213, your answers above are all 100% correct.

Regarding the last one:

Relay Training effectively extends your killzone for hand-offs by one Space. Since killzones don't go out diagonally, Relay Training does not allow you to create a "pseudo-diagonal" by going "one space out, one space up", for example. It just extends an extra space in a straight line.

(As usual, the Amazons are the exception. Since their killzone includes diagonals, Relay Training allows them to hand-off the ball an extra diagonal away in a straight line.)
    Last edited by Loophole Master; 04-19-2014 at 02:15 AM.

I generally like to play as the rules intended them. But on my table, Shamble is going to be able to benefit from Speed Training (Tactics/Cheats will continue to not be effected)

It may not be "correct", but it sure as heck feels much better thematically. Sorry for being unhelpful here

Edit: As a follow up, it seems odd that Relay Training effects Amazons team ability but Speed Training wont effect Zombies team ability. Feels inconsistent if anything. But that's what house rules are made for
    Last edited by Foote; 05-02-2014 at 04:49 PM.

The thing is that the Amazon's ability affect a characteristic that all figures in the game also posses: a killzone. So the Relay Training upgrade compounds on their ability. The Zombies' ability is completely outside the norm, so it isn't affected by basic upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Loophole Master View Post
    The thing is that the Amazon's ability affect a characteristic that all figures in the game also posses: a killzone. So the Relay Training upgrade compounds on their ability. The Zombies' ability is completely outside the norm, so it isn't affected by basic upgrades.
    I understand and accept the rational behind it. I'm not trying to get the official stance changed or anything. I just think it "feels" better thematically. Whether its OP mechanically remains to be seen as I need more matches, but even if it is your opponent will force you to pay out your butt for a zombie speed training so there is a little balance mechanism built in. Again, just gonna be a house rule for my table.

Other than that, this game has been a pleasant surprise. Didn't think I'd like the simplicity of it, but it really works in the games favor.

Sure, if it makes your gaming experience more fun, all the power to you!