Gandalf the Grey WIP
Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gandalf the Grey WIP

Default Gandalf the Grey WIP

i have been around here for a while and felt I should do a WIP.
    I work solely on Lord of the Rings figures in 28mm scale and after years of batch painting to a low standard I felt it was time to improve. Having seen some of the work on here I know I have a long way to go but that is the reason for the WIP. I want feedback and tips on taking my abilities forward.
    My interest of late has been on dioramas and that is my current project which is the three trolls.
    I intend to set them on a board that will include their cave, some pine trees, a stream and a waterfall. The hope as always is doing it well.
    Any way, I will update the board photos in due course but for now here are the trolls.

Like I have already mentioned I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks for looking

They're looking really good!

One thing stands out to me: I think the faces could benefit from a little bit of the contrast and some of the ruddiness present in the leg area (deepen the shadows, emphasize the lines, and it touching the areas around the eyes with the red). Might serve to make them look more expressive and crazed. Which is good, right?

Hope you'll be taking some pictures of these guys on the board!

Thanks Sionid, that gives me something to think about. I will have to see what time offers me to do those little things you suggest. This diorama is part of a competition so there is a deadline with loads more to do.
    i will get some pictures of the board up very soon.

Nice to see that you have a WIP thread now, have added so that I follow it now. Will be nice to see the diorama later on to see what the plan is with this figures

Keep up the good work.

/Kretcher
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

Here is the base so far, I have tried to give the impression of a forest floor with plenty of detritus lying about. I have still to add some fallen pine needles.
    What I was wondering or rather hoping, would be for some advise on what else I need to add to help the look. I have included a few different angles to give you the idea.
    First, the overview

And this is a close up of the ground at the front.

I've added a few grasses here that I'm yet to apply paint to.

This is were the waterfall will land, with a further stream.

The top of the rock face

And finally the top left, were the waterfall will start. I have still to put a little foliage on the tree.

They aren't the best photos but i hope the give the idea of what I have done so far. Any ideas will be very appreciated. Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Gandalf the Grey; 04-23-2014 at 04:03 PM.

The "ground" work, it looks really nice and forest like as you want it. the rock is also very nice. Keep up the good work.
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

Thanks Kretcher, your comments are very welcome.
    i know LOTR isn't people's choice on this site for some reason bit I would be interested if there any pointers people can offer me

I've started on another project while I await some deliveries. This is Saruman in his Sharky guise. These are just quick photos and they haven't quiet picked out the detail and highlighting.

I have unashamedly stolen Raffa's idea from his touch of death diorama. The blue is to represent his evil and this will be spread across the base.
    My idea is there will be vegetation in two contrasts, dying next to him but lush away from his presence. Thats the idea anyway and feedback is very welcome.
    Last edited by Gandalf the Grey; 05-12-2014 at 02:19 PM.

Looking very nice. What position is the mini going to be on the base?
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Many thanks tenball.
    He will be standing on the slate and I plan to have the part of the tree nearest him dying and the furthest side full of life.

Looking good gandalf. I love the huge display, it all looks good except for the fire. Not saying that to be mean but there is something about it that is odd to me. Perhaps it's the brightness drawing my attention away from all the other great work you did. Also it might be spot on when the trolls come to town. At any rate looks great and eager to see more.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Nice work so far Gandalf, I think the problem with the fire is its very flat, I'm assuming it came with the kit.
    If your feeling adventurous make some logs using twigs paint it red/orange then drybrush black over and very lightly drybrush a mid grey to give the logs a fiery ember look.
    When dry use some clear silicone sealent (the stuff you use to seal baths in with ) and make little and large peaks off the logs and leave to set and go clear.
    Once clear use inks/washes to colour your flames.
    Hope this helps
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

Great idea. I'm gonna use it later. Not sure for what but I have had some thoughts on a fire scene as of late.
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Quote Originally Posted by wargamesculptor View Post
    Nice work so far Gandalf, I think the problem with the fire is its very flat, I'm assuming it came with the kit.
    If your feeling adventurous make some logs using twigs paint it red/orange then drybrush black over and very lightly drybrush a mid grey to give the logs a fiery ember look.
    When dry use some clear silicone sealent (the stuff you use to seal baths in with ) and make little and large peaks off the logs and leave to set and go clear.
    Once clear use inks/washes to colour your flames.
    Hope this helps
    Many thanks for this.
    yes the fire is from the kit and everything about the sculpt was 'clean' if you see what I mean. The logs on the sculpt are in place but I could add a few extra from my bits box of roots etc, to fill it out and perhaps give it a realistic look.
    I didn't consider adding extra logs and indeed some flames but I can see the advantage of doing this. I'm getting some clear sealant soon to work on the splashes from the waterfall I have made, so I think I will look to having a play with this.
    many thanks again.

Glad you found it useful guys ! Check out ambush in the sewers thread when ready to do the water as there is lots of useful tips on there

Wargamesculptor - I have been viewing your thread and it's fascinating work. Unfortunately it was after my waterfall !!! I'm having an issue with the water clearing at the point it hits the water. I only applied thin layers but it's getting worse as I apply more layers. I have been waiting for each layer to clear before the next but this last layer has taken a week and still cloudy, in fact it's almost white.

Try putting a hairdryer on it on a warm setting, this can sometimes help the silicone cure in the centre. As you build up more layers less air can get to the surface to cause the cure, so by using a hairdryer you can cause a thermic reaction instead.
    Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by wargamesculptor View Post
    Try putting a hairdryer on it on a warm setting, this can sometimes help the silicone cure in the centre. As you build up more layers less air can get to the surface to cause the cure, so by using a hairdryer you can cause a thermic reaction instead.
    Hope this helps
    Thanks a million....once again.

No problem look forward to seeing the results, Don't put the hairdryer too close (depending on the strength of the hairdryer) about 2 to 4 inches away from the surface

Another day saved by the warmaster. He's like a ninja floating around in forums ready to strike prpblems down as they come. Thank you war. Thank you.
    ." -Me-