Gandalf the Grey WIP - Page 5
Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Gandalf the Grey WIP

Really nice eagle and I like the colour shift in the area below the eye very much (the eye is also very good )
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

Huge thanks everyone
    I have got the troll progressed a little today, some more shading and highlighting to the skin. The scales are done and Ive started on the cloth.

I'm hoping you see a darker figure coming together.

The skin tones are looking good GTG, once you get the dark armour on will darken the whole look
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks for the nod. I was a little concerned that the scales were too dark. I added some cold colours to make them look like dead hard skin, do you think they are ok ?

I think the scales look good, and definitely look hard

I have also ben working on young Thorin Oakenshield.
    Dunerwit gave me some advice on creating my own flames and that was the inspiration behind the base.

Really cool Thorin work. And the base itself looks great too. Any closer pictures of it? I'd be interested in seeing more detail.

Nice wip and the head of that eagle is freakin' awesome. The troll is also coming along nice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf the Grey View Post
    I have also ben working on young Thorin Oakenshield.
    Dunerwit gave me some advice on creating my own flames and that was the inspiration behind the base.

Hey Gandalf, Looking great!

One suggestion I have for you is to try adding some more orange and red to the flames. Just continue the color blending you are doing right up to a nice bright red/orange color. Then add tiny bit of black and grey to the very top of those flames, like smoke coming off.

This is a fun tut on fire:

http://hot-lead.org/advance/fire.htm

I might also be tempted to darken down the base to make the flames pop more but I think you are going for a day-lit scene and if that is the case then just leave it like it is.

Thanks Demihuman.
    to be honest the photos is slightly yellow but my wife said the same to me, it needed more red and like a fool I didn't listen. I will make some extrat touches to bring some red into play.
    also your idea on darkening the base, I think I might try a little shading to make the flames stand out some more as it hasn't quiet achieve the punch I wanted it to have.

I have finished the troll, though if there is anything someone can see then I will be happy to tinker with it.

I have also darkened my young Thorin Oakenshield base and added some more glazing to the flames to make it pop a little more.

Troll looks great, and young Thorins base looks a lot better

Quote Originally Posted by wargamesculptor View Post
    Troll looks great, and young Thorins base looks a lot better
    I agree with WGS. What are you doing for the trolls base?

The troll looks good! Nice job, what will you do with the base?

Then the young Thorin, it is a really nice base, I would add some OSL on the bottom of the clothing and maybe blade, it will be a good exercise.

I plan for a relatively simple base akin to the baron waste of Dagorlad. I'm considering having a section of ground falling away, as with the final battle of the film.
    whether I add an extra Orc or two falling from this section is still in consideration as I don't want to detract from the main point of the diorama, the fight between good and evil.

Here is Aragorn. Not the best of sculpts as the hands didn't fit properly and I had to get the green stuff out.
    I've tried to work on highlighting black a bit better than I previously have and although it's an improvement it still isn't what I would call great.

The final part is upon me now, just the base to work out and put together.

The black actually looks good GTG for a final highlight try using bone to lighten your mix, find it works really well on cloth. Also check out Tenballs latest article where he uses blue

Wargamesculptor - thanks for the comment. I did check out Tenballs excellent article and used it , to an extent.
    the tunic I glazed with some black and then a green glaze, just to set a slightly different hue.
    the cloak used a mix I made to sort of resemble shadow grey and applied black glazes as per Tenballs.

Good start. From the photos the sculpt of the sword looks wonky. Good luck cleaning that up. The main mini looks decently sculpted though.