Gandalf the Grey WIP - Page 4
Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Gandalf the Grey WIP

Here's my progress on the eagle, the feet and claws haven't been touched yet.
    This one shows the eye, but hasn't picked out the shading around the eye which makes it all look flatter than reality

I have worked on the feathers a bit with picking out individual ones as I felt they just looked too flat without some attention

This one hasn't quiet picked out the detail but gives the idea

Thanks for looking and any comments please.

Nice eagle Gandalf, looking forward to seeing some nice yellow boots on this fello!

Liking all the tones on the feathers, certainly makes them stand out more and adds definition . On the eye don't forget the white glint and careful how you place it before a coat of gloss varnish should really make it pop ! Keep up the great work
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

I will have a go with the white dot though I admit to being a little concerned about getting it right. If you can see the black of the pupil, I will aim for about 2 o' clock on it and the point it joins the iris. Would that be ok ? I also think it would have to be small to not over power the eye?
    i never thought of gloss coating the eye, thanks for that idea.

USA! USA! i like that eagle.

WOW GANDALF where did you come from! I mean your work on the troll diorama was pretty impressive but this eagle really shows how well you paint. Wargamer is right with the dot on the eye but before you try anything maybe play around with the picture in paint/photoshop/gimp and see where you like the white dot the best. Outstanding job my friend.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

About the one, two o'clock area should be perfect but as Digga suggested a trial run is well worthwhile.

That's awesome.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Thanks fellas i will look to adding the white dot and update some photos. So far it seems there is nothing else to work on so I will plough on and get some yellow boots on him.

That is an awesome eagle! great work on the eye, always makes a mini.

Really great work on that eagle. And the eye is great, just lacks that little white dot - but apart from this really splendid already
    Looking forward to the whole diorama together with Aragorn and the troll.

I have got the white dot done for the eye and coated it with gloss. There are also a pair of yellow boots done.

Next up is the troll which I have started. Base coats to the cloth and straps but I have applied the first stages of highlight and shading to the skin.

I am not sure what colour to do the large scales on the skin. I think it needs to be dark but a black would be too much, or I think so anyway. Anybody have any ideas ?
    Last edited by Gandalf the Grey; 06-29-2014 at 03:40 PM.

Now this MAY be over the top, but when you take the gallery pictures of the eagle at least one has to have an American flag background :P

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    Now this MAY be over the top, but when you take the gallery pictures of the eagle at least one has to have an American flag background :P
    Being British I'm afraid I'm right out of Uncle Sam additions.

Great job on the eagle GTG and good start on the troll. You could try really dark brown or dark grey for the scales or even a mix of the two

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf the Grey View Post
    Being British I'm afraid I'm right out of Uncle Sam additions.
    Ah yes well, they aren't as majestic and iconic of the USA as some might think. I once saw a "flock" of them outside a salmon cannery. Big, fat, lazy bastards just living off the waste of the industry around them

Blog Entries

WTF!! WE TAKE PRIDE IN OUR GODAM...Ooh you meant the eagles... pretty sure there aren't any lazy bald eagles. Maybe they were on vacation.

Gandalf, that eagle is looking great. (As a citizen of the USA I think I know what I am talking about) you might have to type up some step by steps for us. I think you are on the right track with the troll color just really take advantage of the sculpt and wash nice dark shadows into the cracks on the scales. I assume the troll armour will be grey so maybe add some more orange to troll skin and some really subtle blue to the armour? A little reflected sky will look nice with that bird.

I have been wanting to ask you for some middle earth advice. I picked up the Andrea Aragon 54mm figure from cfwheeler58. Any tips on painting him up as 'Strider' as opposed to Aragorn? It's for a friend that had long been nicknamed 'Strider'.

Quote Originally Posted by Demihuman View Post
    WTF!! WE TAKE PRIDE IN OUR GODAM...Ooh you meant the eagles... pretty sure there aren't any lazy bald eagles. Maybe they were on vacation.

Gandalf, that eagle is looking great. (As a citizen of the USA I think I know what I am talking about) you might have to type up some step by steps for us. I think you are on the right track with the troll color just really take advantage of the sculpt and wash nice dark shadows into the cracks on the scales. I assume the troll armour will be grey so maybe add some more orange to troll skin and some really subtle blue to the armour? A little reflected sky will look nice with that bird.

I have been wanting to ask you for some middle earth advice. I picked up the Andrea Aragon 54mm figure from cfwheeler58. Any tips on painting him up as 'Strider' as opposed to Aragorn? It's for a friend that had long been nicknamed 'Strider'.
    i like your idea with the colours and will try it.
    As for Strider, he is a ranger, living in the wild for years. He needs to be looking that way, grubby, stubbled face, unwashed, that sort of look.

Freakin awesome! that eagle is tops! the troll is coming along nice too. STRIDER! I love that model.

White dot in the eye is PERFECT!
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-