Work in Progress: Ottoman Tank A.P.C. Variant - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Work in Progress: Ottoman Tank A.P.C. Variant

Quote Originally Posted by birchbeer View Post
    Awesome work, Ted!

Will these be part of another Kickstarter? Or is it just expansions from here out?
    He said at GenCon it would be a KS, but that they wanted to wait for delivery of the first KS, before they launched another.

Check this out, Ted's been busy:

Name:  10520634_776243962432746_3662474054930674631_o.jpeg
Views: 395
Size:  53.4 KB
    Rivet Wars Scenario Editor - http://www.tehill.net/RivetWars

Quote Originally Posted by Decar View Post
    WHOA! That is awesome! Looks like there's going to be a lot of water in our future.

Quote Originally Posted by Decar View Post

Name:  10520634_776243962432746_3662474054930674631_o.jpeg
Views: 395
Size:  53.4 KB
    Hm. I'm concerned that the world of Rivets and the World of Rivals might be getting too close to each other:
    Name:  vinyl.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  58.9 KB
    The Pirate Deck - Now on Kickstarter
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...he-pirate-deck

Quote Originally Posted by binarysunrise View Post
    Hm. I'm concerned that the world of Rivets and the World of Rivals might be getting too close to each other:
    Name:  vinyl.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  58.9 KB
    Not familiar with this game. What's the full name?

Well, Ted's are at least referencing something historic, rather than copying/referencing the Rivals art. The super-deformed style was around decades before RW and Rivals.

I'm pretty sure that Rivet Wars predates Rivals anyway... seeing how Ted has been making these for years before the CMoN game.

Not that my opinion matters, but I don't think there's anything for us to worry about.
    Check out more Steam Crow art here!

And yeah, that diver is really terrific. I can imagine a unit of them rising up out of a river, or a sewer system in a ruined city.
    Check out more Steam Crow art here!

Aside from the loop symbol on the forehead and loop glass guard on the faceplate, not seeing it.
    Game one looks like a TF2 Pyro maybe with Zaku air tubes.
    But overall seems like a strait up old school diving suit.

I had a toy one of these as a kid.
    Yo Joe! (all be it AT)

That Rivals figure is really great, but I can't say that it influenced this guy's design. Most of the rivet designs are based in some part on something that existed at some point or something that was at least theorized, drawn up or proposed. On this rivet I pretty much took the historical ref and barely deviated. I did have the old gi-joe toy as a little kid and remembered the weight belt, made of real metal if I recall correctly, and I wanted to capture that, and the weighted shoes. But the mask pattern seemed to be a pretty standard design to protect the glass from cracking? The air tank on the back is not accurate but we couldn't have this guy tethered to a compressor back at the HQ. Hope this gives you guys a little peak into how these guys develop.
    Name:  ruska_water_diver_ref.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  175.0 KB
    Last edited by Ted Terranova; 10-11-2014 at 09:40 PM.

Ooh! I love seeing glimpses into your mind, Ted!

I wasn't trying to imply that either Rivals or Rivet Wars were looking to each other for inspiration. It seems clear that you're looking at the same source material.

That being said, I wonder if Rivals & Rivet Wars *should* be looking at each other in order to maintain/preserve each others unique world. I'm hoping that Rivals turns into a game that's just as good as Rivet Wars (I haven't a clue what the game is going to be, only that there is a game in the works). And if that's the case, I would really love the two to be as different as possible. So this new Rivet really reminded me of Rivals, and the new Rivals figure "Nautilus Trench Runner" really reminded me of the Rivet Trench Raider (in name only, though). Maybe it's a bit naive, maybe it's unavoidable based upon the style/theme/source inspiration, and maybe in the end it doesn't even matter. I just thought I'd share my thoughts upon seeing the new image.
    The Pirate Deck - Now on Kickstarter
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...he-pirate-deck

I was thinking the 3D render is probably the most faithful I've seen compared to the original artwork. All the strapping and details have been captured brilliantly!

I am seeing a great many "Big Daddy" painted ones in the future. Those would look great!!!
    ~Lieutenant Nathaniel Flint of the Landship Scorpios

Ted's posted another piece on the facebook page:
    Name:  10620090_789350674455408_5755799900550519306_o.jpeg
Views: 220
Size:  84.5 KB

awesome stuff

I feel like it needs some wider feet or something. Right now it gives off the impression of pogo'ing down the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosuno View Post
    I feel like it needs some wider feet or something. Right now it gives off the impression of pogo'ing down the field.
    yeah, I thought the same thing. those feet are kinda goat like, which is cool if that's what you're going for but it does stand out. especially thinking of it sinking into the mud on the battlefield.

that said, I don't generally put too much worry over how "realistic" my giant robot models are...

Quote Originally Posted by TedMan View Post
    yeah, I thought the same thing. those feet are kinda goat like, which is cool if that's what you're going for but it does stand out. especially thinking of it sinking into the mud on the battlefield.

that said, I don't generally put too much worry over how "realistic" my giant robot models are...
    Yeah I got the same impression as far as design intent - and I do like the visual gyst of the legs. It just needs... something. Not much, definately want to preserve the uniqueness. Maybe just a bit of a flair out on the foot. It doesn't take much to let the eyes sort of 'fill in' the physics so to speak.

The "feet" are probably a bit small for slogging through the mud. Not much surface area but when I put feet or pads at the bottoms of the legs it just killed the look. Here's the sketch and some early mockups. The leg really didn't change much at all. I did have a driver in it, but opted for a plug so that could be swapped out. It also got armored up a bit with more of a nautical feel.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Great picture!

I prefer the heavy/weighted legs; it looks balanced at least. I doubt any large bi-ped will be able to make it out of a muddy trench!

Shame to see the gatling gun didn't make it though!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Terranova View Post
    The "feet" are probably a bit small for slogging through the mud. Not much surface area but when I put feet or pads at the bottoms of the legs it just killed the look. Here's the sketch and some early mockups. The leg really didn't change much at all. I did have a driver in it, but opted for a plug so that could be swapped out. It also got armored up a bit with more of a nautical feel.

Yeah adding a foot or pad would break the theme. I was more wondering what it would look like if that very bottom portion, the riveted portion already there that is contacting the base - if it gradually flairs out a bit more in a sort of hoof like way (without the cleft of course). I was thinking that, even if the flair was very slight, the brain would interpet the wider bottom contact... crap how do I say this. Lol. Even a slight tapered flair of that last bit might be enough to give off a better sense of stability, without breaking the look?

Anyway, love seeing pics of stuff throughout the design process. Really dig this sort of thing.