JAHminis: "...and now I'm making your silver pants blue." - Page 7
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: JAHminis: "...and now I'm making your silver pants blue."

thanks guys...
    i'm on the mend, and hard at work...
    i haven't shared my work the last few days, because i wanted to create my Strikeforce Cassius paint scheme without any outside influence...
    i'll finish the Stalker, and then do step-by-step for the Land Raider...

@Zab: i'm not a brushlicker...
    i think my illness was actually caused by stress...
    wierd, as i didn't think i had much, but it's the only thing that makes sense...

@Meph: Ultramarines, mate, Strikeforce Cassius Tyranid Hunters Veteran army...

so, on Facebook, it is popular to put up old photos for Throwback Thursday...
    this week i decided to start doing the same with minis on my JAHminis page...
    i figured i might as well share here, too...

the first mini in this new feature is a custom commission for Grey Knights Supreme Grand Master Lord Kaldor Draigo, from 2012...
    i had a lot of fun building and painting this guy...
    the challenge was to do something different than the first commission i had to build a Grand Master from Marneus Calgar's body...

i hope you enjoy this Throwback...

cheers
    jah
    Last edited by jahminis; 10-23-2014 at 11:06 PM.
    Paint like you've got a pair!!!

OOF! that must have been one hell of a conversion to do - nice work
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

@Zab: this one was a hell of a conversion, since i took it a lot further than my first version of a Grey Knight using this body...
    sculpting the loincloth was a challenge, as i have no sculpting skills...
    the greenstuff chest plate was easy, but took a lot of carving of the metal chest to make it fit...

i enjoyed the first Throwback Thursday...
    it is nice to look back every once in a while, and see what i have done before, and how things progress and evolve with the painting and conversions...

today i got the last of the supplies i was waiting on for this Ultramarines commission...
    now i have 'Nid heads to decorate the tanks, and materials to base the Stormravens...
    yeah!!!
    it only spent two months sitting in customs, stressing me the hell out...

after seeing the horrible state of the Finecast minis in the stores, back in the first year it was released, i am amazed by how perfect all of these casts are...
    everything is straight, and one tiny bubble out of six sprues...
    the material feels stiff, but not brittle, and no details are miscast...
    based on these casts, i have just done a complete 180 on this material, and will eat my words...
    these guys have given me the confidence to buy Farsight and the Commander suit i have had my eye on since their release...

GW also threw in a free hardback Nagash notebook, which will make a perfect paint journal, with my order...
    that's right, GW giving away free stuff!!!
    between this, and perfect Finecast, you could knock me over with a feather right now...
    i am shocked!!!

i hope everyone is having a good weekend...

cheers
    jah

Earlier this year Forge World took over the finecast line and things have improved. I'd be curious to see if they still sag over time though. I had a 25 anniversary marine banner sag under it's own weight after about a year. Same thing with a necron staff so I wonder how that librarians staff will look in a year o_O If they have fixed that too then they might be in the clear.

@Zab: i don't know how these guys will hold up over time, but my client is just happy to have these characters in his army, so i hope, for his sake, that they don't sag...
    luckily, none of the parts on these guys are too long or top heavy...

here is my first product review...

Imperialis Basing Kit...

20 25mm base toppers...
    5 40mm toppers...
    fine grit...
    slate chunks...

since i bought the Urban basing kit in 2008, i was pleased to see that all of the components of this kit are different from that one, which had the same type of parts, but different details, and thicknesses to the slate...

i hope this is helpful...

cheers
    jah

hey CMON...

here is a sneak peek at the first tank in the Strike Force Cassius Ultramarines commission...
    the brief from the client was, " make them dark, and remember that they have been to hell and back"...

this is the most weathered any of the tanks will be...
    some will have a lot less, and some will be in between...
    i threw everything, and the kitchen sink, at this one, and i'm not quite done yet...
    it's been fun to go to town on this Stalker, working from the idea that this army is fighting in the very toxic environment of a Tyranid invasion...

thanks for looking...

cheers
    jah

hey CMON...

it's Throwback Thursday on Ye Olde Facebook again...
    since i shared my version of Kaldor Draigo, built around Marneus Calgar's body in 2012, last week, i figured this week i would share the first Grey Knight i built for a client in 2009, using the same body...
    after i had finished this job, i felt i could have done more to emphasize the Grey Knights armor, so i was happy to get another crack at this conversion...
    the first time around was fun, but i always see things i could have done better, every time i finish a mini...

thanks for looking...

cheers
    jah

It's a lie!!!! there were no silver pants that got painted blue!!!!!

Seriously though,.. very nice work. I appreciate the attention to detail.
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

thanks, Webmonkey...
    i am sure, at some point, there will be blue pants...

almost done with the Stalker tank...
    i just need to paint the Tyranid Hunters symbol, and it is good to go...

the Land Raider should be done in a few days...
    it needs the Hunters symbols, too, and the weapons, cupolas, and a few little details to get finished...

i hope everyone had a happy Halloween, and a feliz Dia de los Muertos...

cheers
    jah

hey CMON...

here is a quick update of the weapons for the Land Raider...
    they are almost ready for assembly...
    a couple of parts, like the Heavy Bolters, still need a bit of clean-up on the black after the heavy rust wash...
    then all the orange will get a wash of Vallejo Smoke to tone it down a bit...
    then a sponging of P3 Pig Iron for the chipped paint, and everything will get glued together...
    by tomorrow nights session, the super glue will be well dry, and ready for touch-ups...

tomorrow night i will finish up the Tyranid Hunter symbols, and both tanks will be ready for varnish...
    then it is on to finishing the Stormraven, and deciding which tank the client wants next...

thanks for looking...

cheers
    jah

hey CMON...

it's Throwback Thursday again, already...
    that week sure flew by...

this week i have my first ever "display quality" commission from back in 2010...
    The Butcher from Privateer Press, from the Khador faction for Warmachine...
    this is the 2010 alternate sculpt of this character, and in my opinion, the coolest version of his four different versions...

the brief from the client was to take the studio scheme to the next level...
    i pushed my red further than ever before, and got to use a display plinth for the first time...
    doing the frost spreading out from his feet was a fun experiment...

thanks for looking...
    i'm off to finish freehanding the Tyranid Hunter symbol on the Stalker and Land Raider now...

cheers
    jah

hey CMON...

the Land Raider is all put together...
    since i took this photo, i have toned down the mud with a darker brown so it doesn't look so much like the rust, finished the lenses and lights, and got about half way through painting the Tyranid Hunter symbols...

now that I have the paint scheme figured out, the rest of the vehicles should go a lot faster...
    i will have to remember to take some step-by-step pics for the next tank i put together...

tonight i will put some finishing touches on this Land Raider, and the Stalker, and then get back to work on the Stormraven...

have a great weekend, everyone...

cheers
    jah

How have i missed thus wip! You are one crazy talented artist with amazing patience. Some very cool stuff. Watching your nmm come alive was awesome.

thanks, KruleBear...

here is the first finished tanks...
    i went with a very angular style on the Tyranid Hunters symbol, to make it easier to recreate across all of the vehicles...

the majority of the tanks will be a bit less beat up, but i wanted to throw everything at this first one, to see what works well, and what can be trimmed from the process...
    the darker blue was at the client's request, and the orange rust was a good way to give it some visual impact rather quickly...
    the metal scratches on the edges are also a simple way to speed up the process, but make it so the eye does not read the lack of edge highlights...
    the whole idea is to come up with a quick process for painting an army...

as i said, there will be much less of the damage on flat surfaces for the rest of the vehicles, but the style will not change...
    i am happy with the rust, battered symbols, and scratched edges, so that will be the main feature of the weathering on the rest of the army...

thanks for looking, and taking the time to comment....

cheers
    jah

The smurfs have never looked better

thanks, Zab...
    i want to get the idea across that the planets that the Tyranids have invaded are very corrosive environments, where the very air is trying to destroy things..

here is the Land Raider, in all its beat-up glory...
    yesterday i talked about the choices i made with the weathering, so today i want to share a bit about the actual color scheme...
    all of the weapons will be painted black, to represent the righteous vengeance of the Chaplain's arsenal...
    the Ultramarines symbol will always be on a blue background, representing the colors of the Chapter...
    the Tyranid Hunter symbol will always be on a black background, to represent that this is Chaplain Cassius' personal army...

thanks for looking...
    i hope you like it...

cheers
    jah

Alrighty, time to get back into things as well, so I dived right into your thread. Good stuff man! You've been busy as well I see, those vehicles are coming along nicely.

One criticism though, the amount of rust seems a bit much in comparison to the relatively light chipping. If I look at the left side of the LR for example; you've got some nice small and subtle chipping going on, in some large patches, but still with small chips in the center. I feel like larger chunks of paint could be missing on some parts. A large area with just very small chipping looks like it's been hit with buck shot instead of paint flaking away either though wear & tear, or heavy weapon impacts. If that makes any sense?

Also, don't forget that those open tracks throw a helluvalot of mud up in the air and even forwards on the track housings, the mud seems to be neatly rimmed around the rims
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

thanks for the critique, Meph...
    this paintjob will definitely be evolving a bit as the commission chugs along...
    to be honest though, the rust is a stylistic choice to add quick contrast versus time consuming shading and highlighting...
    the chipping is actually going to be lessened on the other vehicles, sticking more to the edges as an alternative to line highlights...
    the client wants everything fast...
    that is his main priority...
    this is not even close to being an attempt at realistic military modelling style weathering, but instead a quick beat-up paintjob...

it is Throwback Thursday again...
    today i am winding the clock back to 2009, and sharing my first attempt at battle damage...
    this the White Scars 3rd Company Captain, Kor'sarro Khan...
    i learned a lot on this paintjob, especially where the chipping is concerned...
    the main mistake on this mini was making the white armor so bright that i couldn't highlight the chips, leaving them a bit flat...
    next time i try this scheme, i will stop at a light grey, so i can actually highlight the white armor...

thanks for looking...
    i hope you are all enjoying the little Throwback Thursday interludes...

cheers
    jah

Cool, nice mini. If I'd do a throw-back thursday I'd be stuck with models from '89 to 2001 as I had a 7-year miniature hiatus until 2008.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob