JAHminis: "...and now I'm making your silver pants blue." - Page 8
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: JAHminis: "...and now I'm making your silver pants blue."

thanks, guys...

i'm not quite ready to show the Stormraven yet, so here is a little look at my new paint journal...
    GW sent this out with the last order for the Ultramarines commission...
    i'm not going to argue with a free Nagash notebook...
    it is definitely an improvement over the loose sheets of paper i have kept my notes on for years now...

i needed to work out the freehand design for the vehicles...
    the actual Tyranid Hunter Veteran models have a more organic looking Tyranid Warrior head on their shoulder pads, but i wanted something that would be a little bit easier to draw on a lot of vehicles, and keep it symetrical...
    this is pretty stylized, maybe even a bit too much, but the customer is cool with it...

first i did a little sketch to get a feel for what i didn't like, and then a line drawing of the next idea, which i did like...
    a little graffiti style 'Nid...

it's one thing to make a little sketch in a book, but it is a whole other ball game when you go to fit the ideas in to space you have on a mini, and deal with the tiny size...
    i find freehand to be the hardest part of mini painting, and always have to psych myself up when it comes time execute it...
    i do enjoy the challenge, though...

thanks for looking...

cheers
    jah
    Paint like you've got a pair!!!

freehand can be a little troublesome I not done it so often but as people say you need to do it and practice and practice to get better at it. Looking forward to see the end result on the figure later on.

/K
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

That is a nice little notebook from GW...be careful that it doesn't steal your soul though! Lol

@Kretcher: you can see the painted symbol on the side of the Stalker and Land Raider on the previous page...
    it turned out nice, but i'm not sure if is a little bit too graffiti style, or not...

@KruleBear: GW already stole my soul 30 years ago, when i bought my first Citadel Miniatures blister pack...

here is the start of the first Stormraven...
    at this point i am cleaning up all of the blue (P3 Exile Blue) and black (P3 Thamar Black)...
    after everything is tidied up, i will tone down the orange rust (P3 Khador Red Highlight) with a heavy wash of Vallejo Smoke...
    then it will be ready for decals, freehand, and battle damage...

thanks for looking...

cheers
    jah

Hmmm... for the icon, I kinda feel you're stuck between two possible designs.
    Either incorporate the 'nid head more into the hand guard of the zword, like it's meant to be a hand guard flowing over into a blade. (But then they might get a visit from the Ordo Xenos)
    Or make it more clear that it's a stylized 'nid head with a sword stuck through it, as a battle trophy. (And get a pat on the back from the Ordo Xenos)
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

@Meph: i hear you, man...
    unfortunately, the first two tanks have alteady gone out to the client, so i'm kinda stuck with my design...
    the client is happy, though, so it's all good...

it's Throwback Thursday again...
    since i showed off my first attempt at battle damage last week, i'll share my second attempt this time...
    this is Logan Grimnar, from 2009, which was a year where my painting took a big leap forward...
    working with more mixes for the transitions of my layers, and trying a few more advanced techniques...
    it was fun to see how detailed i could make the chipped armor...

thanks for looking...
    i hope you like it...

cheers
    jah

Yup, if a client wants an apple-bue-sea-green design with pink polkadots... been there mate.
    And that chipping is indeed wonderful. For me, I discovered whilst painting my two HQ units for the BA's, that I'm consciously avoiding that amount of manual detailing and layering. My painting rhytmn is so glacially slow that I'd never finish anything.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Blog Entries

Oh I really like the battle damage on this guy. I always love the more crisp "cartoony" paint jobs, especially with space marines and most 40k stuff for that matter. Probably because that is what I have the most trouble with

@Meph: too right...
    i paint pretty slow, as this WIP shows, but i am doing things pretty rough here, as quick painting is the client's first request...
    now that I look at the logo painted on the first two tanks, i can see that i did extend the blade up a little further to make it look more like a Warrior head with a gladius through it...

@Demihuman: thanks, man...
    i had a lot of fun painting Logan...
    it is nice to look back and remember those particular mini that not only upped my game, but also seemed to paint itself...
    i work hard to get a cartoony style, that still showcases dificult techniques...
    this guy was a leap forward in that style...

i got the blue and black cleaned up, and rust toned down on the Stormraven...
    then i went crazy with a sponge and some P3 Pig Iron...
    now it is time for decals, freehand, and then dirty streaks for the leading edges...
    next i need to build the base, and paint the weapons...

thanks for looking...
    i hope you like it...

cheers
    jah

hey CMON...

i got the base built for the Stormraven, and started with the paint...

this is the first time i've had the chance to use the bigger base...
    it's nice to have a little more space to work with, and be able to get more vertical...
    i like these ruined walls 40k walls...

there is a purple and green undertone to the rubble that the camera is not really picking up...
    the green is concentrated around the plastic walls, and resin base toppers, that will be verdigrised bronze...
    the purple and green are more noticeable in hand, and make for a much more pleasing look than just grey rubble...

thanks for looking...
    i hope you like it...

cheers
    jah
    Last edited by jahminis; 11-24-2014 at 11:55 PM.

Good stuff, mate! I'm curious to see what you'll do with the base.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

thanks, Meph...
    finished pics of the base will be up tomorrow...

Happy Thanksgiving, for those who celebrate the day...
    i hope you all had a great day watching football, and stuffing your face...

since it is Thursday, here is a special edition of Thanksgiving Throwback Thursday (that's some nice alliteration)...
    as this is a day to celebrate what we are thankful to have in our lives, i am thankful for clients that allow me to make cool new versions of old static characters...
    this is my favorite piece out of my portfolio...
    Blood Angels Death Company Tycho, from 2012, built from the Sanguinary Guard and Death Company boxes, with a bit of Greenstuff work to complete the look...
    the pose is based on a really cool piece of Adrian Smith artwork...

thanks for looking...
    i hope you like him...

cheers
    jah

Looks great, man! A milliontimes better than the old Tycho-2D.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

the chipping is acely done! however, i feel it might be a bit over the top, making it look like a pattern instead of signs of wear. remember less is more but great work nontheless

thanks, guys...
    this was a challenging piece to build and paint, but well worth it in the end...
    definitely my favorite mini...

@SkelettetS: thanks for taking the time to comment...
    i had hoped that i made the chips random enough that it doesn't look too much like a pattern...
    maybe next time...
    the idea was, of course, that if anyone's armour would be beat to hell, it's the Death Company...
    JRN did his version of a DC Marine more elegantly, for sure...
    i will have to try a version like his style...

i got the Stormraven's base finished...
    my biggest base yet, and hopefully not too bare...
    i had fun experimenting a bit here...
    i've never painted so much bronze...
    i'm enjoying my new verdigris color, a 2-1 mix of P3 Meridius Blue and Iosan Green...

thanks for looking...
    i hope you like it...

cheers
    jah

hey CMON...

the Stormraven is done!!!
    my biggest miniature yet, and a lot of fun to paint...

since this is a rush job, i had to reach a happy medium between speed and a cool paintjob...
    i feel like the rust in the crevices, and the chipped metal edges work as a great cheat to save the time of shading and edge highlighting...
    the rust is done with washes, and the edges with a sponge, making for a fast technique to get a visually interesting model...

in the same vein, instead of working out a realistic shade and highlight for the cockpit canopies, i just put down a solid color, and then painted in detailed reflections of the 'Nid invasion...
    hopefully, this draws the eye away from the fact that there is no shading and highlighting...
    it was a really fun little experiment...
    while it could be refined a lot for a competition piece, i think it works for a tabletop piece...

thanks for looking...
    i hope you like it...

cheers
    jah
    Last edited by jahminis; 12-02-2014 at 07:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Looks great! I think you could have added some quick shading at the beginning to modulate the blue a little. that combined with some blue edge 'lighting might have been some good quick options for this piece. Looks a lot like my termies from a few months ago:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/354777

I love how you painted flying tyranids and tyranid ground troops on the "glass" of the cockpit and gunner; truly masterful!

That's awesome, the canopy especially
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

thanks, everybody...
    it is nice to do something a bit original, since it often feels like everything we do as mini painters is derivative, or influenced by someone else's ideas, since before we even get our hands on a mini, it has already been painted by someone in a studio...
    this is even more pronounced with Space Marine Chapters, since we are working in the constraints of predetermined schemes...
    with my Mephiston and Tycho conversions, Calgar Grey Knight conversions, Heralds of Light Captain, my Salamanders Captain's flames, and now these canopies, i feel like i have been able to do something we don't see every day, which is a good feeling...

@Demihuman: i hear you, bro...
    i wish i had the timeframe to do some proper highlighting and shading, but the customer wants speed over everything else...
    keep in mind, this is all painted with a brush and sponge, so getting a solid basecoat is the main priority...
    each time i send pics for approval, the reply is, "Looks awesome! Paint faster!", so that is what i'm doing...
    can't argue with the client...
    all i can do is my best, with the time i have...

it's Throwback Thursday again...
    this week i have my Golden Bolter Silver medal, and People's Choice award, winner...
    this is the Games Day 2008 Space Marine Captain, painted as a Salamanders Chapter Marine...
    i wanted to try my hand at realistic flames ever since i saw them painted on a car on Overhaulin'...
    when the Bolter and Chainsword painting contest came up in 2010, i knew i had found my chance to give it a whirl...

given the chance to try this scheme again, i would like to refine the flames a little more, but i was pretty happy with the result the first time around...

thanks for looking, and taking the time to comment...
    i always appreciate it...

cheers
    jah