JAHminis: "...and now I'm making your silver pants blue." - Page 15
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: JAHminis: "...and now I'm making your silver pants blue."

thanks guys...

still catching up on the last few months of work...

since my second plastic version of Dante (using the Sanguinary Guard) was finished a while ago, i should probably finish up his step-by-step...
    when i left off, he was at the shading wash stage...
    to recap, i had built up the base color, starting with a basecoat of P3 Battlefield Brown, then a layer of BB and Rhulic Gold at a 1-1 ratio, then a layer of 1-1 Rhulic and P3 Solid Gold, then the shade wash of 1-1 P3 Sanguine Base and P3 Flesh Wash...

to start building up the shadows and highlights i came back in with the 1-1 mix of Rhulic and Solid Gold...

next was a layer of Rhulic Gold and Vallejo Air Metals Gold at a 3-1 ratio, since the VAM Gold is such a strong color...

to finish the highlights, i used a 3-1 mix of VAM Gold and VAM Aluminium...

that's it, my basic standard gold technique...
    i hope this is helpful...

thanks for looking...

cheers
    jah
    Paint like you've got a pair!!!

Hi,

Thanks for the tutorial. Really helpful!!!!!

de nada, aniku...

here is the final result...
    having a second crack at this version of Dante was a nice opportunity to address a few things i thought i could improve over the first version...
    i tried to improve the glow on the axe, and added texture to the feathers...
    switching to the 32mm base, instead of 25mm, was nice...
    the slightly bigger base makes all the difference for the balance of these dynamic jump pack Marines...

now i just need to do one more version, using the Death Company parts, in conjunction with the Sanguinary Guard parts, to really play up the original style of the sculpt with the DC jump pack, and the inferno pistol in the hand, rather than wrist mounted one...
    gotta respect the classics!!!

thanks for looking...
    i hope you like him...

cheers
    jah

hey CMON...

i got the chance to re-base the Sanguinary Priest with the newer 32mm bases...
    this guy was tipping over onto his face all the time, which is not good for a mini that a customer paid a lot of money for...
    he's all better now, and not so tipsy...

i really like the look of Marines on this base size...
    no more overhanging toes, and a little more room to make some cool scenics...

thanks for looking...
    i hope you like him...

cheers
    jah

I love the\texture on the wings. I have recently started trying to texture with little success. This is motivating for me

Smooth, clean and crisp! very nice ^^
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

thanks guys...

i am still getting caught up on the last couple of months work after i slacked on posting for a bit...
    last month was a Legion of the Damned Squad for my client's dirty Strike Force Cassius Ultramarines army, a painting style that works perfectly to hide all of Finecast's flaws...

the warping in Finecast is ridiculous...
    there was no saving this sword, as it was warped in three different directions...
    i replaced it with a lovely crisp plastic one from the Tactical Squad box, and gave him a combi-flamer from the same box...

ironically, after i just posted about how much i like the new 32mm bases, i am back to the dinky 25mm ones...
    the three toppers are from one of the 40K basing kits, one base got a bit from the Grey Knights heavy psilencer, and there is a plain one for a little variety...
    they are painted to match the Ultramarines bases from the previous commissions...

here is the early basecoat and wash stage, on one of the bolter Marines...

the flamer Marine is at the "nearly there" stage...

the heavy flamer is at the "can i have my arms now?" stage...

thanks for looking...
    i hope you like them...

cheers
    jah

Love legion of the damned , your doing a mighty fine job your customer will be very happy
    Proud owner of a Teronus TMM original.
    Carpe Diem Carpe Nocturne

thanks, bud...
    i always aim to exceed my customers' expectations...

here is the first mini from the LotD squad...
    even though this is just a basic standard commission, i had to throw in a little OSL around the eyes to give these guys a ghostly creepiness...
    the green power sword was a nice chance to try out something other than blue for my power weapons, and goes nicely with the eyes...

thanks for looking...
    i hope you like him...

cheers
    jah

hey CMON...

here is the second mini in the Legion of the Damned commission, the heavy flamer trooper...
    i had a lot of fun painting the flame in the brazier, even if it didn't photograph well...
    i am still trying to perfect my realistic flame, but it is something i really enjoy playing with...

thanks for looking...
    i hope you like him...

cheers
    jah

Love the Legion he better watch the flames above his promethium canisters .....well done bud
    Proud owner of a Teronus TMM original.
    Carpe Diem Carpe Nocturne

@Terrafirma: right!?!
    guy's a complete nutter!!!
    he's not the only one, either...

here is the third mini in the first Legion of the Damned Squad, the flamer Marine...
    i like the striding pose of this guy...
    these LotD Marines have a lot of character in their stances...

having two braziers to practice fire on was nice...
    painting these guys has convinced me that i really need to do one for myself, with no deadline to contend with...

thanks for looking...
    i hope you like him...

cheers
    jah

hey CMON...

here is the fourth Legion of the Damned Marine from the flamer armed squad...
    this guy has another nice advancing pose, looking like he is actually striding the battlefield, instead of an awkward squat, ready to poop his power armor...

thanks for looking...
    i hope you like him...

cheers
    jah

hey CMON...

here is the final Marine in the squad...
    unfortunately, he was not glues to the base yet when i took these pics, so he looks a bit wonky...
    i should have taken the pic of the five bases together first...
    oh well, live and learn...

thanks for looking...
    i hope you like him...

cheers
    jah

hey CMON...

here is the group shot of the first LotD squad...
    these ones all have the flamers...
    next up is the melta squad...

i don't usually get a chance to paint squads...
    they look cool all together...
    now i need to paint five more...

thanks for looking...
    i hope you like them...

cheers
    jah

hey CMON...

here is the last mini to get caught up with in the backlog of work to share...
    this is the first character in the 6 mini commission for a Black Crusade 40K RPG group...
    i was stoked to hear that we would be using the Forge World 30K Kakophani miniature for the Slaanesh Noise Marine character...
    this is a great FW sculpt, and was a perfect cast, with just a bit of flash to clean up...
    the Finecast Noise Marine backpack, not so much...
    it is bendy, and had about ten air bubbles where there should have been details...

the resin Dragon Forge Design base was also a beautiful resin cast, and a pleasure to work with...

next up, the step-by-step for the magenta armor...

thanks for looking...

cheers
    jah

hey CMON...

here is the step-by-step of the Noise Marine's magenta armor...
    all paints are P3, as usual...

i started with a base coat of Sanguine Base, and then gave it a wash of my usual red shade mix, Sanguine Base, Coal Black, and Flesh Wash in a 1-1-2 ratio...

next, i layered my midtone with pure Sanguine Highlight, and then a layer of Murderous Magenta, leaving the shading wash in the shadows of the curves...

the edge highlights are a mix of Murderous Magenta and Morrow White at a 3-1 ratio...

quick and simple, but striking, especially against the white, gold, black, and green accents that you will see on the finished body next time...

thanks for looking...
    i hope this was helpful...

cheers
    jah

hey CMON...

here is the main body of the Kakophoni finished...
    i have waited a long time for an excuse to do a snow leopard pattern...
    since i didn't want to go as crazy as the 'Eavy Metal team did on the original Noise Marine mini in the early 90's, a bit of 80's hair band leopard print would suffice...
    this guy was painted up before the LotD from last week, so the green glow on this guy was my experiment to see if i could pull it off for the squad...

if you look at the pics in my last post, you will see that this guy didn't have the bolt pistol and knife until about halfway through the paint job...
    after the armor was done, i decided that the knife needed a strap like the bolt pistol holster has...
    i sculpted that on, and painted it to match the other blue/black leathers...

thanks for looking...
    i hope you like him...

cheers
    jah

The leopard print adds a nice touch of whimsy to the mini.

cheers, KruleBear...
    i enjoyed painting this mini...

here are a few more pieces of the Kakophani...
    Forge World has done a great job with both the sculpting and casting on this guy...
    the gold and magenta is a fun scheme to paint...
    it's nice to finally have an excuse to use P3's Murderous Magenta...
    i really like this color...

the Dragon Forge base is up to Jeff's usual standard...
    very clean cast and crisp details...

thanks for looking...

cheers
    jah