Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rivet Wars Houses (By Landship Scorpios)

Default Rivet Wars Houses (By Landship Scorpios)

Hello everyone. Some of you know that I have been discussing and hinting at trying to make some Rivet Wars-specific buildings for decorations and the like. Well, I have taken it a step further. I am not only working on 3D buildings that can be downloaded and printed by anyone, but I have been attempting to to create a new addition of rules to the Rivet Wars game that will allow building combat to the next level.

Rivet Wars Buildings

Current Version: 1.5

Template:
    Name:  houseTemplate_A.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  33.1 KB
    Building Packs
    1: Neutral House

The first building and design to give to the community.

Name:  houseTemplate_A_neutral.gif
Views: 848
Size:  24.9 KB Name:  houseTemplate_B_neutral.gif
Views: 781
Size:  26.6 KB Name:  houseTemplate_B_neutral_objective_1.gif
Views: 660
Size:  31.4 KB Name:  houseTemplate_B_neutral_bunker_1.gif
Views: 514
Size:  38.7 KB
    2: There's No Place Like Home

The first expansion in the Scorpios Buildings is to take us to the homelands of the two current factions. The allied home front reflects what it is like for the Allies back home, and will reflect a more homely feel. The Blightun Fatherland pack will show us a more elegant side of the war, having not combated on their turf very much. I hope you enjoy these as much as I have designing them. I am open to any and all feedback or ideas.

Homefront

Name:  houseTemplate_A_homefront_1.gif
Views: 516
Size:  25.2 KB Name:  houseTemplate_B_homefront_1.gif
Views: 518
Size:  31.1 KB Name:  houseTemplate_B_homefront_2.gif
Views: 517
Size:  30.9 KB

Fatherland

Name:  houseTemplate_A_fatherland_2.gif
Views: 510
Size:  52.9 KB Name:  houseTemplate_B_fatherland_1.gif
Views: 512
Size:  32.9 KB Name:  houseTemplate_B_fatherland_2.gif
Views: 513
Size:  34.0 KB

Directions

1. Choose an Exterior (Side A)
    2. Choose an Interior (Side B)
    3. Print
    4. Glue Exterior to Interior
    5. Fold and Glue White Flaps to Interior
    6. Enjoy

Disclosure: For a full set of Houses it may take up to 3 Hours of Craft time depending on Quality and glue speed.

Building Rules

Buildings will add a new line of complexity to Rivet Wars, however it will also make for more creative outcomes, scenarios, and play styles. Buildings will add a layer of customization and realizations to the maps and battlefields of Rivet.

Buildings can interact with Terrain pieces. A building item can also be a Bunker, allowing those inside increased protection. A building can also be a Strategic Objective, being a point of interest on the battlefield armies must hold. Buildings do not currently use barbed wire, tank traps, or minefields, as of version 1.5 (Please See Optional Extras Below).

Buildings are a form of decoration for the battlefield which shall now become an integral part of the Rivet War battlefield. They are an infantry-only grid object (as-of Version 1), and they add to the 3D battlefield. Buildings will offer protection to Infantry while sometimes giving them special buffs.
    Buildings are made up of Rooms (single-grid buildings) and adjacent Rooms create Buildings. Rules change for infantry when they enter a building. It is important to understand these rules.

Single Room Buildings (1Grid)

Single room Buildings act just as Bunkers and Strategic Objectives. They provide whatever Buff to the units and act as duckboards. They do not affect range of anyone.

Multiple Room Buildings

Multi Room Buildings change up the rules. These implement new rules like Room to Room Combat and Window Shopping.

Room to Room Combat: When infantry are in a building, they can see out of the building at their normal range. However, they can only see (or their range is depleted) into the adjacent Rooms while indoors. Even if their land range is high, they can only “see” into the next Room, and therefore can only attack adjacent rooms. All buffs are still enacted, however, so infantry combat can get heated inside buildings.

Window Shopping: When outside of a building or room, any unit can easily fire into a grid of a building. However, they cannot “jump” rooms, meaning units can only fire into the exterior rooms. Even if their range allows (say, artillery). If there is a Building or Room (of the same building) between the target and the attacker then the attack is invalid. Think of this as: you can only fire into the first room.

The images provided show this idea. The first one displays a blight attack/movement phase. The exterior Panzerfaust can attack (or move) like normal. However, the interior Panzerfaust are apart of the same building as the allies. They must then attack using Room to Room Combat. The monowheel would also be able to attack the same enemies as the exterior infantry, however since Cavalry cannot enter buildings (As of Version 1) he is held back there. The Tank (if range allowed) is also held in the same rules (Changes pending with testing).

Name:  house examples.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  15.1 KB

In image two, the blight can only attack in one room increments. Therefore, even though range allows, they can only “see” into the next room. If the board allowed, however, they can “see” out of the building at their normal range. They can only move into vacant rooms or rooms with allied units in them.

Name:  houseExample2.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  13.0 KB
    In this image, the Allied Artillery can only shoot into the first rooms of the buildings, unable to hit the protected targets in the back. HOWEVER, they can still hit the exterior troops like normal. I understand it's tricky, but this is version 1 rules before testing.

Movement: Units may only enter one room at a time in multiple roomed buildings. Even if entering from duckboards, they can not move through two rooms at a time. They may also only move on the cardinal directions in houses (up, down, left, right) and not diagonally. This provides a sense of strategy when dealing with buildings. Unless a building or buff says otherwise, consider these building rules final.
    Buildings only act as duckboards when leaving an exterior room out of the building. You may also leave diagonally as well.

Action Cards: Deploying units through action cards or any other means is tricky with houses. After much discussion, we think this is the best way to go about it. Cards like "Tunnel Rat" and secret abilities like "Tunneler" are great for getting into buildings. However: Paratrooping units are not ok. How we eventually ended the discussion was exterior rooms may be dropped into (assuming a door/window was easy to spot) and any sort of "multi storied" building (See Optional Extras Below). Interior rooms, however, would act like grids you cannot enter, therefor requiring you to perform another deviation flip until a suitable room or place was found.
    Additional Spawning: If a unit is able to spawn by another means (Special Ability or "Rally Point") they may spawn like normal inside of a building.

Gas: Gas in buildings acts slightly different. When gas is shot into a room, it is concentrated in the room. First Gas strike gets a +1 dice to its roll. It does not deviate on the next round. Instead, it seeps through the walls and doors, spreading out in the cardinal directions into the next rooms. It does not get the concentration bonus in its second phase. This makes gas extremely deadly in inside use. Gas may not enter a building from the outside. If a deviation would cause it to collide with a building, it does not deviate from its spot.
    Example: The action card, "Gas Gas Gas", would get a bonus of 2 dice rolls inside a building, however: the Baron gets a 3 dice roll attack on his gas.

Building Placement

Building Placement acts just like any terrain element and is decided before the game or by the Scenario you are playing. Without the building rules or extras in-play, they can be used as mere decoration. Otherwise, consider the strategic value they hold by shaping the battlefield, giving character to maps, and giving an edge to an otherwise doomed team.

Building Bonus

Buildings can give bonuses to Infantry residing inside them.
    1. Buildings act as Duckboards
    2. Buildings offer protection- Bolster Defense (1)
    3. Buildings can hold Bunkers or SOs and gain their benefits.

Scenarios
    Here we are! I made some Scenarios that help reinforce the building rules. Go ahead and try them out!

Small Town Values
    http://tehill.net/RivetWars/scenarios/comedianmasta_SmallTownValues.pdf

Count Christoph's Mansion
    http://tehill.net/RivetWars/scenario...ntsMansion.pdf
    Last edited by comedianmasta; 09-17-2014 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Added Houses and Cards
    ~Lieutenant Nathaniel Flint of the Landship Scorpios

Default Optional Extras

Optional Extras

Building Health
    Building health is a fun way to add a dynamic feel to the battlefield, and to change the feel of a map late in the game. Building health adds an armor type and health to buildings, allowing them to be attacked and crushed by heavy artillery or tanks.

They act as a neutral unit on the board, who can be attacked (or healed) by either team. Either go off pre-determined values or use the Building Cards to determine which buildings have which stats. In this base “expansion”, there are a few set types of buildings.

• Bunker

Bunkers are very strong defensive fortifications, built for war. They are hard to destroy, and often offer extra protection to units.

• House

Houses are the normal building type. Often offering extra protection to infantry, they make up the most common building in Rivet

• Shack

Shacks are pitiful buildings. They offer no real protection and they act as duckboards for infantry. They are easily destroyed.

• Springboard

I decided to make springboards a type of building. Buildings like Field Hospitals and Motor Pools will help units get into the fight. They often offer movement based buffs like rappid assault or Runner.

Name:  buildingCard_bunker_1.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  15.6 KB Name:  buildingCard_house_1.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  15.5 KB Name:  buildingCard_shack_1.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  15.8 KB Name:  buildingCard_fieldHospital_1.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  16.2 KB
    Add-On Buildings
    Name:  buildingCard_motorPool_1.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  16.8 KB Name:  buildingCard_pillBox_1.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  17.0 KB Name:  buildingCard_mortarPit_1.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  16.7 KB Name:  buildingCard_tower_1.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  16.3 KB

Units For Buildings

Name:  customUnit_card_demoman_1.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  17.2 KB Name:  customUnit_card_infrainspector_1.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  17.1 KB

When buildings are destroyed, they are removed from the map (like destroyed Barbed Wire). Buildings are destroyed room by room, not by entire houses. Buildings can hold Bunkers and SOs. When the building is destroyed, those objects still stay in their place, just without the added building benefits (ie: Bunkers still offer Bolster Defense and SOs can still be captured, etc.)

Note: Ideas for such buildings as Tunnels and Towers are in the works, but serious testing and balancing of buildings needs to happen first.

Note: Building types can be used without building destruction if you think that will make your scenario more fun. Please consider balancing issues with building positioning.

Interior Terrain Elements

Currently Under construction is the idea of using tank traps, barbed wire, and Minefields in buildings. They will offer different, infantry based obstacles. The ideas are as follows:

• Minefield- Booby Trap: Booby Traps will cause infantry to suffer an attack roll when entering the room.
    • Tank Trap- Fortification: It takes a full turn and attack to just enter a fortification. However, once inside, units get a +1 dice to roll against enemies.
    • Barbed Wire- ???: ???

Note: If a building is destroyed, the terrain element is not and it reverts back to its normal usage.

Updates are to follow the second I finish testing and complete the houses themselves. Feedback is always enjoyed!

House Hold Pets

There is talk about making Dogs have the special "Houehold Pet" or "Small Friend" which will give it bonuses inside of buildings. It will be able to ignore room-to-room combat rules to a degree. They would be able to move their full movement regardless of entering rooms and they would be able to roll their full attack amount.
    Last edited by comedianmasta; 09-18-2014 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Added House Cards

Loving the idea of these, what were you thinking for the damage to the building side of things. I was thinking of something like any successful flat or individual chain grid attack on a unit also automatically damages the surroundings. I thought this would count out most more common infantryb(so the buildings would last longer, but slowly be removed, again reshaping the map) possibly also all tank attacks too. This would stop attacks directly on the buildings themselves but still allow the tanks (and heavier) to be the terrain crushers to do just that. Maybe the super heavy tanks(4 or 5 rivets) can ram a wall- not move into the building, but reduce it's health by one, so if it was say a shack, the tank could bulldoze though it in a turn, whilst still shooting elsewhere, maybe those with tankshock remove 2 health per turn. Love to know what you think. BTW, I reckon you could turn this into a mini kick starter of your own for the rivetwars community, just a thought, I'll happily be the first customer. : )

Actually quick question\request for teaser from ted related to my last post, if Ted is watching this thread. For the superheavies we're getting in heavy metal, do they have a tank shock 2 or maybe the ability to move into a grid occupied by any enemy unit that's smaller. Basically cause I want to yell ramming speed before sitting a huge tank on my brother's rocket bike! The dice don't seem to agree with me shooting them apparently.

Great stuff and nice work with scenario editor!

Cant wait to have some games of this.

did have a thought. When you destroy a building, perhaps depending on the building: rubble remains: eg other units can't enter etc.
    Rivet Wars Scenario Editor - http://www.tehill.net/RivetWars

Quote Originally Posted by daddymaykadarobots View Post
    Actually quick question\request for teaser from ted related to my last post, if Ted is watching this thread. For the superheavies we're getting in heavy metal, do they have a tank shock 2 or maybe the ability to move into a grid occupied by any enemy unit that's smaller. Basically cause I want to yell ramming speed before sitting a huge tank on my brother's rocket bike! The dice don't seem to agree with me shooting them apparently.
    I was considering tank shock being able to be used against an empty room or something, but I was gonna add that later. The buildings change up enough, I'm gonna need to test this as is before changing it up even more.

This would stop attacks directly on the buildings themselves but still allow the tanks (and heavier) to be the terrain crushers to do just that. Maybe the super heavy tanks(4 or 5 rivets) can ram a wall-

The way I set up damage is by giving buildings an armor type and health (as you can see). Most tanks can damage armor 3-4 (and so can most heavy units) so that's how you get buildings.

When you destroy a building, perhaps depending on the building: rubble remains: eg other units can't enter etc

Well, I'm sure you could do something like that, but I wanted to make it as if you destroyed the building then it would be gone. The interior objects (when this is developed) would revert back to their normal purpose. For example: Minefield acting as a booby trapped room. If the house (room) is destroyed, then the room part is removed, and the minefield reverts back to being a normal Rivet Wars Minefield.

Again, that is an advanced idea that needs heavy testing, but if you enjoy the idea for rubble there's no reason why we can't throw together a rubble design and work in some sort of rules to it. House rules always allow you to alter the game to be the most fun. I just want to make sure that when I design some of the Scenarios to help show off these building ideas I want a set, tested ruleset for them.

Very cool stuff, and a lot of thought is going into this. Great job.

I'll have to build some of these once you get the rules hashed out. (A few of these buildings types I already have designed, just need to make them)

Quote Originally Posted by Asatru_Artist View Post
    Very cool stuff, and a lot of thought is going into this. Great job.

I'll have to build some of these once you get the rules hashed out. (A few of these buildings types I already have designed, just need to make them)
    Yeah, I really like your idea for a church. I want to make a few buildings that stretched the length of multiple grids. Kinda with bigger "rooms" so that more battles can take place in the interiors.

One of the scenarios I will reveal deals with a large building. I wanted a ballroom and chapel room so that the room to room combat could be altered slightly. However, at the moment, I think I'll stick with the single grid rooms. I really love the 3D models you are making, Asatru. They look amazing. Unfortunately, these houses won't be that cool, as they are for the less talented and money challenged. However, the building rules should still apply.

Quote Originally Posted by comedianmasta View Post
    Unfortunately, these houses won't be that cool, as they are for the less talented and money challenged. However, the building rules should still apply.
    I think its great you are making these paper buildings available so people that don't have the resources (or time) to make something else.

This is really great stuff. We're planning to introduce some building rules in the future releases, very similar to this, but I love that comedianmasta has taken it to the next level! A lot of creativity is evident in this work. And as Decar pointed out, the use of the editor is really great. Both of you guys are really very generous in giving so much back to the community. This gets me very excited.

@daddy - there is an ability called JUGGERNAUT. It's just like tanks shock but it allows the unit to also push and possibly crush infantry, cav (including rocket bikes) and support type units. Should be fun.

Default Houses are IN!

Thanks, Ted, for your kind words. I feel really passionate for the game, and am really bummed that I missed out to support the Kickstarter.

Anyway, the time is NOW!

House template is up!!!

Name:  houseTemplate_A_neutral.gif
Views: 699
Size:  24.9 KB Name:  houseTemplate_B_neutral.gif
Views: 850
Size:  26.7 KB

This is the first, basic design for the rivet wars buildings I have started. I tried to make it neutral as to faction (as I have plans for faction based ones later) Now what you do is print it out (DO NOT CHANGE THE SIZE) and you now have some awesome Houses. Cut them out, and paste the two sides together. bend them up, and glue the white tabs on side A. That way the patterned side is shown inside. Boom! Simple house.

I will begin designs on more houses (interiors and exteriors) and the idea is they will all be interchangeable.

Name:  IMG_0479.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  1.01 MB Name:  IMG_0480.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  995.6 KB Name:  IMG_0482.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  1.31 MB Name:  IMG_0483.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  1.32 MB

It's not the best buildings on the forums, but for people with as little or less talent as me, it's an easy way to bring character to your maps. I will now finish making about... 9 more of these babies that I can now start testing the building rules.

I might be missing something, but when you paste these together and fold them up, won't the door/windows be misaligned between the inner and outer print? I think just doing a left/right flip on one or the other should fix it.

It is true, it should fix it. I didn't worry too much about aligning the doors because I didn't want it to be too hard to assemble and I would love for interiors and exteriors to be mis-matchable. However, I might end up changing it and just making it where every template has a door and a window in the same places. Sorry guys.

Quote Originally Posted by donnbobhardy View Post
    I might be missing something, but when you paste these together and fold them up, won't the door/windows be misaligned between the inner and outer print? I think just doing a left/right flip on one or the other should fix it.

I decided it was bothering me too. So all you people who were bothered... you were right.

Easy fix, I imagine. So this should make it look closer. Sorry if it still doesn't match up perfectly, but it should match up BETTER now.
    Name:  houseTemplate_B_neutral.gif
Views: 682
Size:  26.6 KB

And if anyone has issues downloading these I can e-mail you the gif images for these houses for easy printing. Hope that helps!!

Always the perfectionist! But now Indy cant escape through the secret passage way!

Roll on game night!

Default Interior Objectives

So, I do have a few scenarios that use my Buildings and building rules, but I am having issues uploading them here just yet. Trying to work around it. HOWEVER!!!!

I thought you guys might like the new interior I made so we can have interior objectives.

Without the Star:
    Name:  houseTemplate_B_neutral_objective_2.gif
Views: 634
Size:  29.6 KB
    With the Objective Star:
    Name:  houseTemplate_B_neutral_objective_1.gif
Views: 639
Size:  31.4 KB

I just whipped them up rather quick. Anyway, be prepared to soon be apart of the grand battle of Count Christoph's Mansion or to Wage Urban Warfare in two more Scenarios which will be updated as soon as I can figure out how to add Documents to the forums.....

Also:

Interior Terrain Elements

I'd like some discussion on these. I like the ideas of the Minefield being used indoors as a "Booby Trap". The idea is they would work the same as a Minefield. Booby trapped rooms would force infantry to suffer an attack roll when moving into it. Also, Tank Traps would be used as a "Barricaded Room" type deal. You may enter the room, but only if you did not attack that turn. On top of that, once inside, you have extra cover. Since rooms themselves already give bolster defense (1), I want barricaded rooms to give you Attack +1. I cannot figure out barbed wire just yet. Anyways, always like some ideas on it.

I am having a big rivet wars building games this week and I will be able to test and finalize much of these rules. I can't wait.

How about: indoor barbed-wire either: reduces movement, or only allows for combat or movement when they start a round in a room with it; because the wire tangled them up?

Hehe! I just noticed the map on the wall; that's a really nice touch, must have taken ages!

Quote Originally Posted by Decar View Post
    Hehe! I just noticed the map on the wall; that's a really nice touch, must have taken ages!
    I want to see it printed. There is more detail then I care to admit for what it is. I was looking at map rooms and I wanted to do a table on the floor and a few other things but in the end it looked odd to add more stuff to the room and on top of it I couldn't have 2D of obvious 3D objects on the walls or floor. Still trying to think of a way to add more stuff to the rooms.

I got something in the works. I have gotten to play many games of the Building rules. It's gonna be great!! We upgraded and detailed out some of them on the original post in case you haven't noticed.

And I just want you to see that I have some awesome stuff on the way. So I just want to tease these....

Name:  houseTemplate_A_homefront_1.gif
Views: 517
Size:  24.2 KB Name:  houseTemplate_A_fatherland_1.gif
Views: 516
Size:  22.9 KB

Are you ready to customize your battlefields? I know we are...