Miniature Mistress's WIP - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Miniature Mistress's WIP

Hey everyone, happy Monday! I have some useful videos I'd like to share with those of you that check out this thread and also anyone that drops by. During the Arcadia Quest kickstarter, I had many backers request a painting tutorial in the form of video. At the time, it was backer only, but I would like to share it now since it's been almost a year since I made them. Each video is broken up by subject and is about 20-30 minutes long.

THANK YOU! Those will be great for when I get around to my chibi primarches! I have dabbled in chibi painting on my Sleeping Chibi diorama. I found it shockingly hard to get them looking clean and cartoony.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

https://linktr.ee/AlmostPerftec

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    THANK YOU! Those will be great for when I get around to my chibi primarches! I have dabbled in chibi painting on my Sleeping Chibi diorama. I found it shockingly hard to get them looking clean and cartoony.
    No problem! I'm glad people find them useful.

Well, they're well made instruction video's, with a nice steady camera showing the 'action' close up and consistently, kudos for that. Also, you keep your commentary functional and minimal, well done. Easily among the better instruction videos out there.

But on a personal note, I've never understood the appeal of an instructional video when a good written explanation and some detail photos are so much easier to fall back on. You can re-read or tripple-read a section or a phrase at will and scrutinize the pictures in detail without having to perform an action to pause it. Maybe some short clips or gifs would be handy to show a particular motion or posture. To me, showing of every brush stroke from start to finish is, well, not useless, but superfluous.
    In genereal whenever I see someone start a thread with: "I painted this, here's a youtube video om me babbling on while filming shaky footage", I tend to immediately ignore that thread. I love letting an image seep into the mind, absorbing details, any video removes that joy.

But as said, it's only my humble, tiny, personal opinion.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Meph, I can agree with that thought. I usually like articles and pictures to learn small techniques, but say, wet blending, I had to take a class and watch someone (jeremie) paint the model. This is much more helpful
    than an article or even a video. I find myself usually looking up articles when I want to learn something and have written more tutorials than filmed them, so I have to agree with you. I can also see the other side of this, which is "what way do you best learn" question. For some, it's easier to watch instruction than read.

I figured I would include both in my WIP thread

will you make other videos too in the future?
    so far for KS-s I saw: 1 for WoK, these 4 for AQ.

I'd really love to see some vid for the Hadross (especially the big octopus-figure), not necessary display/studio level, but a high quality one, that's fast enough to replicate through a whole 'army'. What would be really interesting is seeing where and how can we "cut corners" to paint faster, but still good looking minis.

Thank you much for the vids. I haven't got to see them yet but can't wait to get home and view them.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXxxx View Post
    will you make other videos too in the future?
    so far for KS-s I saw: 1 for WoK, these 4 for AQ.

I'd really love to see some vid for the Hadross (especially the big octopus-figure), not necessary display/studio level, but a high quality one, that's fast enough to replicate through a whole 'army'. What would be really interesting is seeing where and how can we "cut corners" to paint faster, but still good looking minis.
    For now I've done most of my tutorials for Ravage Magazine. I would like to make more videos, but they're pretty time consuming. I do like the idea of a simpler tutorial explaining tabletop painting and some ways to make painting faster, I will keep that in mind and see if I can post some step-by-step here.

I just got through the first video. I like to see how different artists tackle a topic. Video helps with a few thing like paint thickness, seeing the actual glaze technique, and even something as simple as how you use your fingers to steady the brush. Thee are things that do not translate as well from photo sbs's. Nice work and it is appreciated.

It's been a busy week, but here is what I've been working on for work. Tallmen from Darkage, studio painting. I'm glad everyone likes the video links I posted
    Name:  tallman1.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  300.7 KBName:  tallman2.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  1.80 MB

Blog Entries

Great painting on the figures. Have you ever been to the Atlanta figure show they hold in February?

Awesome job on the videos. They were fun and helped teach me a few things. Also your latest work as usual...awesome.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Oh wow, these are looking very nice.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

'Thanks guys, they're the first "robot" miniatures I've painted, so they're testing me.

Milosh- Jen Haley and I plan on being there to participate in the painting contest and see all the cool historical models.