Requesting recommendations on airbrushes...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Requesting recommendations on airbrushes...

Default Requesting recommendations on airbrushes...

Hello -

I have been painting minis for a while but never really delved into airbrushes at all, since I'm a bit wary of how to use them for some of the more delicate areas, and have never used one before.

Can I please get some recommendations on a good beginner-level airbrush that would be better for learning with, and in an affordable price range?

Thank you!

Iwata eclipse and badger patriot are both good brushes. They are many people workhorses and even good for the more advanced techniques. That said master has a bunch a cheap a brushes that do the job and there is nothing wrong with dipping you toe in with one of those. ebay has lots of cheap ones for $30- 40 that are just as good as any too. i prefer badger for their ease of access to parts and accessories. Hope that helps
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

It does help - thank you very much for the advice!

I would say that most folks would say that any dual action brush will do. And many prefer a gravity feed system,.. but that's up to you
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

One issue to consider is parts availability. Cheap no-names may not have a parts source (although, many are rebranded badgers).
    You will bend needles and cones so get a gun that you can get parts for.

Issue two is what are you trying to do with it?
    Priming and clear coating require a different setup than shooting details.
    Often it can be the same gun but with different needles & nozzles.

Air is another question.
    Lots of threads here about compressors.
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

Quote Originally Posted by airhead View Post
    One issue to consider is parts availability. Cheap no-names may not have a parts source (although, many are rebranded badgers).
    You will bend needles and cones so get a gun that you can get parts for.

Issue two is what are you trying to do with it?
    Priming and clear coating require a different setup than shooting details.
    Often it can be the same gun but with different needles & nozzles.

Air is another question.
    Lots of threads here about compressors.
    Primarily, I'd like to start with the basics - base-coating my husband's Warhammer 40K figures, as well as maybe some priming for the same minis and the Reaper Bones figures we backed on Kickstarter. I would love to eventually be able to work up to doing some of the vehicles and shading effects, but I figure I'll start simple. I have no experience with airbrushes for one, and have no idea whether to get any of the starter airbrushes from a hobby or craft store, or to go with one from Amazon or Ebay - the same with compressors.

I would say that a Grex XG would cover almost everything in minis. It's a classic, proven design. And parts are cheap. You should be able to spray most medium, even primer, if thinned a bit.
    Other alternatives would be the Iwata HP-BR or CR Revolution, or the HP-CS Eclipse. Maybe a bit better at primers and large surfaces, but not as good with detail. The Revolutions have the advantage of being able to retrofit with smaller nozzles, but the Eclipse is easier to work with for the novice.

I just got the Badger 105

http://www.badgerairbrush.com/Patriot_105.asp

and the Aspire air compressor. I had a 40%off coupon at Michaels, so I went for what they had. I have been very happy with both so far!!!! I did a lot of reading and watching youtube before I bought anything.

I found this Video of great help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsW-vN0_lHw
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pi...1630c21290.jpg

They don't make dragons like this any more...

Next question: What part of the world are you in?

Some airbrushes are more available in one side of the ocean or another.

My favs for base coating and priming are fairly simple larger guns.
    For detail, you'll want finer guns with smaller needles and nozzles.

Iwata
    Badger
    Paasche
    Harder & Steenbech
    Vega (discontinued)
    Aztec

In the US:
    www.bearair.com
    www.dixieart.com
    for starters.
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.

Even if Aztec has a small, but loyal group of fans, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone getting into the hobby.
    Also, in my most personal opinion, Paasche seem to have been going downhill fast in the quality control department.

I've been looking to get into airbrushing recently too and this thread had a lot of great advice so far. Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by airhead View Post
    Next question: What part of the world are you in?

Some airbrushes are more available in one side of the ocean or another.

My favs for base coating and priming are fairly simple larger guns.
    For detail, you'll want finer guns with smaller needles and nozzles.

Iwata
    Badger
    Paasche
    Harder & Steenbech
    Vega (discontinued)
    Aztec

In the US:
    www.bearair.com
    www.dixieart.com
    for starters.
    I'm in the US, if it helps. So far, I've checked out Michael's to see what they have (I can't believe I forgot about the 40% coupon!) and they seem to stick to Badger airbrushes. I'll definitely check out the links to the online sites- I have been looking on Amazon as well, but I'm a fan of getting opinions from people who've used them for the same thing I'm looking to try. I also paint with acrylics on canvas, so I thought an airbrush might help basecoat my canvases too.

Thank you all for the information - I feel much better armed and ready to go discuss the options with the hubby

On another thought...is there a good medium recommended for practicing before I get started on miniatures, such as a paper type that will work best for practicing control for when I first get started?
    Last edited by Zarannya; 07-14-2014 at 10:07 AM.

If you are in the states then TCP global is great for selection and parts. Wouldn't buy the compressor there as shipping something that heavy will make it very expensive.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Quote Originally Posted by Zarannya View Post
    ...On another thought...is there a good medium recommended for practicing before I get started on miniatures, such as a paper type that will work best for practicing control for when I first get started?
    I like cheap ink or a drop of paint very diluted with water to practice.
    Get the paper towels with the dots at about an inch apart.
    practice starting at a dot, moving to a dot while maintaining a consistent fine line. Left, then Right, then up then down.
    Repeat with a wide line.
    Repeat with a line from small to large (pulling back on the trigger and moving away).
    Repeat with a line from large to small (dagger stroke, start - immediately pull back then bring the gun closer while pushing forward on the trigger)

Now do diagonals.

OK, now move to a surface that is not absorbent like glossy paper (primed or gessoed canvas). Here, you'll discover spiders - the paint splatters to the side if you use too much paint, or too much pressure or are too close or aren't moving fast enough.
    cuss, have fun, learn, repeat.

There are some good videos out there (most on youtube now...) look for Terry Hill, Createx or Airbrush Action Magazine for finer arts.
    Lots of stuff out there for mini painting as well.
    Last edited by airhead; 07-14-2014 at 11:44 AM.
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.

Ooh - the paper towel with dots does sound like a great idea. Thanks for the tips!

I use an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS. It's been a great airbrush, no complaints. For my compressor, I use a 6 gallon California Air Tools compressor. It's actually the same compressor I use for tools like nailguns. What I like about it, as opposed to smaller compressors, is I can fill it up once and have more than enough air for a painting session. So I don't need to keep hearing the motor go on and off repeatedly.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I bought some airbrush paper to start on when I first got me Airbrush. I watched some videos on YouTube to see what to do and I went from there. Airhead is giving good advice on what to do.

I played with the ab for about an hour before I went right for the minis... The vallejo air color is great to paint with also. I can't believe I have been painting with out this for so many years.
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pi...1630c21290.jpg

They don't make dragons like this any more...

Alright...now that I'm getting my list of stuff to get, I'm trying to find out what I need to get for my setup. I know they talk about regulators, water traps, and the like. I have on my "to get list" a brush, compressor, air hose, water trap - are there any other must haves, so that I don't have to go out and purchase stuff a second time?

Quote Originally Posted by Zarannya View Post
    Alright...now that I'm getting my list of stuff to get, I'm trying to find out what I need to get for my setup. I know they talk about regulators, water traps, and the like. I have on my "to get list" a brush, compressor, air hose, water trap - are there any other must haves, so that I don't have to go out and purchase stuff a second time?
    A cleaning station is good to have (like this one, for example). It also doubles as an airbrush holder.

I second a cleaning station. Ebay or Amazon have some cheap stuff. Cleaning spray jar thingy,some AB cleaner and pick up some q tips (ear cleaner things) for cleaning it and you should be good to go. Also if you will be using it a fair bit I would get some general dish washing gloves keep the paint off your hands, some goggles or general safety glasses and some painters masks for eye and lung protection. If you have the money get a respirator to keep the paint out of your lungs

Oh and a card board box spray booth keeps a bit of paint dust off the walls.