Wyrmgear

Thread: Wyrmgear

Default Wyrmgear

First of all, this is my first submission here, so if it is in the wrong place, tell me where should I put it.

I am doing it mostly to offer another view of this mini, since I could only find one of it before I bought it.
    I know it is not the best one around, but this was my first real attempt at using an airbrush. I had to go back and fix things with regular brush many times. =)
    Also still have problems diluting the paint and all.

I used Citadel/Games workshop paints, Harder & Steenbeck Evolution airbrush, and the mini is a reaper wyrmgear.

Name:  IMG_0765.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  775.4 KB

Name:  14413232128_cffcb6bf2b_o.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  702.0 KB

Name:  14576819626_245f8eed38_o.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  708.6 KB

Name:  14599838465_2742e3ac1d_o.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  663.9 KB

More pics on flickr.

There are already some known mistakes I made with it, but I hope you guys can point out some more, so I can learn from mistakes I did not even know I made. =)

Wow, dude! That looks amazing. I love the level of detail on the head and at the base of the wing, especially. You sure this is the first time you used an airbrush?

XD
    Not the first time I USED it.
    But the first time I really went for it.
    Actually, I forgot. This was the second model. First one was an Imperial Guard (Astra Militarum?) Sentinel.
    And I did some testing on a rather featureless Necron Overlord too.

Well it looks fantastic! I'm just getting started with airbrush work. Any tips?

Well, I only just begun, so I don't know much myself.

What I can tell thou is:
    1- Citadel paints have different consistencies, so you have to dilute each one with a different amount of diluter.
    2- Try to paint different stuff, with different paint to get a better control of the airbrush. I found out it indeed is possible to make very small and subtle traces, if you are patient and can hold steady.
    3- Don't try to add another layer until the paint is dry, or it will "slide" making ugly blotches and gathering in recesses. (I did this many times when I thought the layer looked too thin, until I finally decided it is best to wait)

This tutorial was great for me
    http://youtu.be/ODqCZEzfdl4

And a hint I read somewhere and I used on the wing of the wyrmgear and a camo pattern was to start with the lightest color and move on to darker tones.
    I am not sure which is actually best, if going from lighter to darker or the opposite.
    I have been using light to dark when supplanting colors on a bigger miniature, and dark to light when I want to make shades on a smaller one.