Showing my newest works before I get into things! - Page 14
Page 14 of 523 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114514 ... LastLast

Thread: Showing my newest works before I get into things!

Yeah thanks Denny I'm starting to paint more space marines and really loving the ultras took it on really to help my freehand get better as I'm not adept at writing names drawing etc. but very happy with the blue overall and ill cont to practice my freehand with each model. I love the semigloss what it does to this model the camera just isn't capturing how it looks in real life. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  779.8 KB should be up in an hr or so. Don't forget to leave feedback and vote. Always willing to take on all constructive criticism! Thanks den and BFOK !!!

Looksrealnice Blood and congrats on the GW recognition.

I still default to gloss cote followed by DullCote as my brain thinks i will be gaming again and they will see some heavy handling. But it does tweak the colors a bit and can see why it could be better not to put a protective coat on display only minis.

W00h00 Congratz on the Vision,white dwarf thingy! And on the fact that you found a girl that will lovingly hold your head while being passed-out-drunk (or so it seems) ànd supportive of such a geeky hobby. That one's a keeper for sure!

Oh, yeah, and the smurf looks good, but y'know, red wunz go fasta....
    Last edited by Meph; 08-21-2014 at 10:50 AM.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KruleBear View Post
    Looksrealnice Blood and congrats on the GW recognition.

I still default to gloss cote followed by DullCote as my brain thinks i will be gaming again and they will see some heavy handling. But it does tweak the colors a bit and can see why it could be better not to put a protective coat on display only minis.
    This seems to be the option. I'm in the process of sourcing good uv protection and a matte (not matt) finish for my paintings (as opposed to minis). Liquitex recommend a single gloss coat of varnish prior to 2 uber thin coats of matte ( and have a disclaimer that the matte will reduce the vibrancy, in my case, of oil paint ) . I'll try a bit of this on an old mini and post the results.
    Last edited by dennis.; 08-21-2014 at 10:06 AM.

Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. Edgar Degas.

Lol that's exactly what happened I was blasted.. I'm talking 3 sheets to the wind. Meph I live you man your the only one who picked up on it.. Lol I was wrecked!! Lol Jameson mixed with vodka collins!

I personally avoid any type of varnish, since I've not heard of anything that can be used that won't impact the color of the mini in some form or fashion. Although I do use a matt (not matte) medium to dilute my Citadel washes, because it tends to neutralize the glossiness inherent in them. But if someone discovers a protective coat of some sorts that won't spoil a paint job, hook a brotha up!

Spelling of matt:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

As I said BFOK I always want a richer color on my metallics only or space marine armor so I immediately fell in love with semi gloss varnish but again ill also use Lahmian medium yo dilute paints/washes as it has a beautiful Matt property also the citadel washes if diluted with water make them pool so ill use diff things for diff things 1) Lahmian medium it has a Matt property and is the only thing to dilute citadel washes just like your acrylic medium . Inks/ washes 2) must be thinned with my favorite Lahmian medium . But 3 when I paint , for metals ill either use no varnish or semi gloss which I found deepens my tones and give that slightly glossed finish for my metallic flecks not to be disturbed. Things I won't use : citadel purity seal. Remember to 5) shake your mediums 6) DO NOT THIN THE WASHES WITH WATER INLY MEDIUM(Matt like what your using and or Lahmian medium (which also needs to be shaken not stirred! All artists have their tricks of the trade but I'm sure when me and 15 others sit down with " FIELDARCHY "- meg maples on oct 17th she's a studio painter for privateer press and has all kinds of trucks that once learned I will pass on to all. But it's really all preference mate. These little differences is what makes a Dennis , BAM , a BFOK a Demihuman and or a DRAGONSREACH.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  964.7 KB Again folks another example of subtle contrast where and how my painting style evolved. Just look at this pic from eavy metal artist to windstone : again the only contrast that was pushed was the contrast between colors of the color scheme. Another example when I work on a piece unless your doing nmm I personally don't favor shadows being pushed to black. In this example the white skin was pushed only to a light grey. (Under the armpit u see the bicep . It's very subtle it's what I term shadows being "pushed just enough" to give the model a very realistic look and not some places being left black where in my opinion looks as if that part of the model looks unfinished iow looks as if the black undercoat was never addressed , no base color no highlights no shade. This is what avelorn was talking about. It's the greatest example I can show. Btw this does not mean or apply to NMM . Nmm can only be achieved through shades down to black and HL up to white. Other than that this eavy metal style of clean precise painting is what I favor. Oh and btw it's also the style they want to push in visions : dans words in the email were .. Yeah we need to get these in its a mirror of skills held by our eavy metal team, and would look great along side em!" Lol Chica Chica YAAAAAYyaaa! (Fogel -Superbad ref)

lol "3 sheets to the wind"... You'll have to explain that mental image to me. The best I can come up with is a kilted, flatulent frenchman standing on top of a mountain.

As for varnishes & inks. I thin my inks with a mix of Johnsons Klear and for the most part with demineralized water (the cheap kind used for ironing). The Klear strengthens the consistency and the demin. water mixes easier, keeps the colours cleaner, and is kinder on the ol' airbrush. Any glossiness I fix later on with a finishing satin coat.
    For satin varnish I moved away from water-based (too frequent frosting woes), and went with an alcalyde-based one from the brand 'Motip'. It does take several hours to dry but it is so much clearer than water-based, and it leaves a much nice and more subtle satin finish. I'm not going back on that one.
    And in between painting layers I'm now only airbrushing a layer of Johnsons Klear, which is not tóó glossy and provides a nice smooth surface to work on. But it's just that bit too glossy as a final protective layer. Matte dulls the colours too much for my taste and satin is, for my taste, the perfect compromise.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Semi gloss, eh? Sounds like a satin to me. I think I'll pick some up to be used on cloaks or tabards or items that need to look silky, regal, gaudy, etc. would probably look great for that.

BTW I only showed that pic of matt medium to show that it CAN be spell without the 'e.' That and I do use with washes. Also, be sure not to make the mistake of mixing up a varnish with a medium. Two totally different properties that I didn't consider when I was starting out...lol. I do own a can of matt varnish, but it is for when I get good at freehanding banners and such--I think these would benefit from a varnish.

I go through 1-2 pots of Lahmian per mini. I know that sounds excessive, but I tend to do my best blends when I layer with glazes. And I find that a glaze medium like lahmian makes all painting, whether bases highlights or shadows, a lot easier. Also, to me it doesn't leave a matt finish. If anything, when you use too much it leaves a glossy appearance in my experience. Anyway I love the stuff and swear by it.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Hell no 1-2 bottles of LM sounds about what in at as well. I buy it by the case. And self have mixed the two and suffered greatly!! It was terrible ..Matt finishe did no one proof read the printing! Lol

Blog Entries

It's a bit confusing the matt and matte finish, they differ in that matte is basically a not so matt matt, so don't be buying matte and expect a matt finish Two different products, not a different way to spell the same thing.......

...it's not OED correct of course, it's just something that has been adopted in art materials
    Last edited by dennis.; 08-21-2014 at 05:48 PM.

Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. Edgar Degas.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis. View Post
    It's a bit confusing the matt and matte finish, they differ in that matte is basically a not so matt matt, so don't be buying matte and expect a matt finish Two different products, not a different way to spell the same thing.......

...it's not OED correct of course, it's just something that has been adopted in art materials

Hmm...this is the first I've heard of this. Could you be more specific, with particular brands or a source that shows the difference? I am asking out of an interest for discovering a not so matt matte. But my internet machine seems to think the difference is purely preferential. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Now i'm confused lol... i hope i'm not crossing my profession with my hobby. In making varnishes, something most oil painters do, we would refer to a proper matt finish as a mix of damar resin and beeswax, in the right quantity it should provide a completely non reflective surface, however it is not transparent, whereas with more dammar you get a slightly more transparent varnish but with a slight sheen, we just refer to this as a matte finish.

Correctly matte is just french for matt but you'll find different brands will have differing levels of sheen on their varnish, some matte being so poor they are almost satin. Spectrum made a particularly poor matte varnish whereas i like robersons. Totally useless for mini painting though. There is also confusion as to how matt is used across the pond, doesn't help our convo, but for now i'll hang my hat and try this new W&N stuff i have and give a wee review... soz BOK

Okay my mind has been officially blown once again by that psychotic expert Dennis ! You my friend know too much about too much. And I'm the madman! Can anybody say "Dennis is OCD about painting" your a maniac. This is why I love you Denny !

Matte vs matt, probably told by someone named Matt...
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Lolololololololol meph your crazy!! One things for sure don't let women treat us like doormattes! Think I'm gonna take in a movie .. Maybe see a matte-inae.

Views: 226
Size:  1.45 MB Name:  image.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  1.08 MB yes folks I have been finishing up my ork Stormboys! This was mostly finished bout 1.5 years ago I just finished up a full unit of 7 more warm colored "my original recipe" of a yellow/ slightly grn glaze and shadows done with blue/rhinox hide. So it's my old recipe. But still has the rust checks and dirt you've all know from me. Also is a plethora of space marine display pieces I call:" heroes of the imperium"Name:  image.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  1.03 MB Name:  image.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  1,014.2 KB
Views: 226
Size:  1.37 MB

A long long time ago , In a sick sick twisted twisted in a gallery far far away , a friend friend gave me me a mini mini!!! Lol it was from a small co that is called: KINDOM DEATH! Besides their preoccupied fascination of big penises and very buxom breasted things(I say things and not women with ,"their NIGHTMARE RAM IN MIND," I was given a very peculiar model called " WETNURSE" . Now before I give the image let me just say that I was worried about the subject matter being passed during pending . That was until I saw "alien god's" version of the model. ALIEN GODS VERSION OS THE BEST IVE SEEN FOR THIS MODEL. It's painted to standard that 1) is very technically perfect and2) the high standard accentuates the gruesome yet motherly traits of this very unnerving miniature. So I'm going to try to paint this model and really try to be the second best rendition of the mini!! So w/o further ado here is my next project which I will work in a lol at a time but in between whatever else catches my eye in the interim!:
    Attached Images Attached Images   

That's the love-child of Nurgle and Tzeentch, that is.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project