DMcc's WIP Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DMcc's WIP Thread

Default DMcc's WIP Thread

Hi all. My name is Derek.

I am new to posting here and, well in forums in general. I would like to start posting a WIP threat in hopes of improving my painting. I am hoping feedback on things I am working on will help do that.

I hope these pictures aren't too bad. This is something i am working on. the gap in his waist will be covered by a piece of cloth like loin cloth that will hang between his legs.

So thanks for looking and commenting. I appreciate the review.

That is a good start. Some lighter tones on the fur would help. I like the gold and the skin just a touch more shadow on both. The metal is great too just little more highlight here and there. Mean lookin beast
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Good start. Work more on the skin, add deeper stronger shadows, then more highlight. Darken your base color with some brown or dark brown red, then highlight your base mix with some off white (ivory, Bleached bones, etc...) Try to work on the transitions later with some feathering technique. You have good free videos on Youtube for that!
    Don't hesitate to ask questions!

Thanks Zab, so when you say "a touch more shadow" should I just darken the areas I shaded already or overall?

Just push the contrast a little bit more to define things. Doesn't have to be all the way to black but just a few shades darker than what you have in the deepest recesses to make details pop out more.

Ok cool, I am going to have an updated pic here probably tomorrow. I appreciate the direction and advice!

I added some more shadows to the body and legging armor. I added a few high lights to the metal helmet and shoulder pad and knee. I also glued the loincloth on. The loin cloth was a pain because it didnt really bend right around the body. I had to add some green stuff to it. I have just base coated that.

I think your contrast-boosting has really paid off! His muscles are all muscley and stuff. The helmet's looking good, too, but it's a bit hard to pick out where it ends and where the horns begin. Maybe push the highlights on the horns up to make 'em stand out.

Who makes this miniature, by the way? He's nifty.

Yeah! that's looking nice! Agree with Sionid, I bet all the horns need is a sepia glaze to bring them out in front of the cool tones of metal or even a few very very very light controlled glazes of a bone color on the highest parts. BTW, those metals? STUNNING! I see blue and purple and just WOW!

Thanks Sionid, yes I agree I am glad I followed that advice.

I agree about the horns, I am a little stuck on them at the moment

I picked the figure up at adepticon the sculpter was there and I picked this up, Figone is the company. I also picked up the Non armored version of this monster

http://www.figone.fr/en/gladiataure/

Thanks Zab , and thanks again for your review. Yes the horns I am going to see what I can do with as you suggest.

Now this figure is holding a weapon and shield, I just havent gotten to them yet so you may see those in my next update.

Hi all,

So I added the weapon and shield for a more complete look and tried to define the horns some more. Any comments or suggestions, as always are appreciated.

Also I am not sure what to do for a base so if anyone has any suggestions I am open to that as well.

Thanks!

Lovely! Maybe a rocky sea shore or some kind of ancient ruins?

Thanks Zab. I was thinking ancient ruins myself.

Ill have updates later this week.

thanks for your help

He's looking really nice. The difference between the first and last photo's is frankly amazing.

Maybe now go over the model and pick out some of the finer details. A little colour variation in places like the elbows and knuckles. A little more work on highlighting the sword. All the tiny finishing touches that make painting fun and really bring a miniature to life. Ancient ruin sounds perfect, maybe hint at his Grecian roots with the ruins in the style of King Minos's palace?

Blog Entries

Nice progression on the paint job! I think the sword still needs some more highlights and maybe some rust. Vallejo and Tamiya both make smoke paints that are reall great fro painting rust.

For the base you can pick up "Cake Pillars" for cheap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-wilt...item19f093114c

Quote Originally Posted by Demihuman View Post
    Nice progression on the paint job! I think the sword still needs some more highlights and maybe some rust. Vallejo and Tamiya both make smoke paints that are reall great fro painting rust.

For the base you can pick up "Cake Pillars" for cheap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-wilt...item19f093114c
    I have some of those if you want 'em. Free might be cheaper than eBay. Just PM me if you are interested.

So I did a little more

I added some rust effects to the sword, I used some secret weapon pigments. I wanted to give those a shot. I added some more highlights to area around the fingers hands and knuckles. that was a good call because I tend to neglect those areas. I added a little more highlighting to the cloth piece and added some "dirty" look. I hit the bolts on the inside of the shield too

I will start on the base this week. I probably wont have any updates until this weekend. Work has been crazy.

I really appreciate all the comments and advise. Thank you all

Thanks Demihuman

I appreciate the review. Cake pillars, that's a great idea!

he looks great. Do't be afraid to add more highlights to the sword. It will really benefit.