Newbie, please be gentle Simon Moon's Avatar

Default Ice Gem Step by Step Tutorial

Ice Gem Tutorial

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140712_081516-1.jpg 
Views:	3203 
Size:	440.5 KB 
ID:	29418

This will be a little Step by Step Tutorial about how to paint ice gems!

I used the "Sky and Ice Blue Paint Set" by Scale 75 (but you can of course use any other colors as well).

It's very important to know that you will have to work with glazes to archive a nice and clean gradient. So it might be useful to have some kind of thinner or glaze-medium.

Name:	20140707_122848.jpg 
Views:	2134 
Size:	708.6 KB 
ID:	29417

Step 1

First we need to cover the desired surface with the darkest of our colors . Because this will be our darkest shadow the colour should be as dark as possible (almost black ).I used Scale Color "Deep Blue" for this which is ab very deep blue with a pinch of purple.
    No need here for a glaze use your paint as usual.

Name:	20140707_122734.jpg 
Views:	2225 
Size:	670.4 KB 
ID:	29416

Step 2

Next step is to bring some color variation in to the shadow. I have used Scale Color " Violet" and covered up almost the entire surface with glazes but leave a spot of the darkest color at the base and on other shadow parts of the facets!

Name:	20140707_125259-1-1.jpg 
Views:	1980 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	29414

Step 3

For the "brightest shadow" i have used Scale Color "Tesla Blue" applied the same way as the Violet in Step 2. But now leave a little less of the previous layer.

Name:	20140707_130951-1.jpg 
Views:	2037 
Size:	314.5 KB 
ID:	29415

Step 4

Now its time to bring some light into the darkness for that i used Scale Colors "Sky Blue" as Mid / main-tone also applied as Glaze and also leave again just ja little of the previous color. As you can see here the gem begins to look icy.

Name:	20140707_134408-1.jpg 
Views:	2002 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	29413

Step 5

Here we will set the fist of three highlights.
    In this case i was trying to achieve that slightly greenish hue you can find in some blue gems. I've used Scale Colors "Caribbean Blue" ( which is in my opinion a great color for that purpose). Applied as glaze again but this time try to keep this layer very translucent(remember we only want a slightly greenish touch!) and leave more of the color before!

Name:	20140707_141450-1.jpg 
Views:	1930 
Size:	314.9 KB 
ID:	29412

Step 6

Second highlight and first edge highlight. I mixed the first highlight color (Caribbean Blue) 50 /50 with some white(in this case P3 Morrow White). I only highlighted the edges of the facets to let the "crystal form" pop out again.

Name:	20140707_143214-1.jpg 
Views:	1962 
Size:	331.9 KB 
ID:	29411

Step 7

Final highlights. Simply used some pure White to create reflection points(for example by the joints of facets)Last thing to do is to do is a nice coat of gloss varnish and you're done

Name:	20140710_114230-1-1.jpg 
Views:	4700 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	29410

I hope You liked it
    Feel free to Comment & Share
    More cool stuff & tutorials you'll find on my facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/SimonMoonPainting

Name:	20140712_111804(0)-1.jpg 
Views:	1952 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	29409Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140712_111816-1.jpg 
Views:	1899 
Size:	349.5 KB 
ID:	29408Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140712_111836-1.jpg 
Views:	1895 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	29407

Hi Simon welcome to this site and thanks for the tutorial part, will be nice too se the finished model later on.

/K
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

Nice straight forward tutorial. Thanks for posting.

What miniature is this? Who is the manufacturer?
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Quote Originally Posted by BloodFather of Kharnath View Post
    What miniature is this? Who is the manufacturer?
    I believe it is Privateer Press' Mountain King. There are a couple people that have done wips of him fairly recently.

Hi Simon. Out of interest - what are you using to thin your scale 75 paints? Mine are behaving very very strangely with water and water slow dry mixes - they become a bit gummy with extremely poor coverage and don't adhere well to the primer at all

Quote Originally Posted by archreptile View Post
    Hi Simon. Out of interest - what are you using to thin your scale 75 paints? Mine are behaving very very strangely with water and water slow dry mixes - they become a bit gummy with extremely poor coverage and don't adhere well to the primer at all
    Brilliant tutorial. And you're review of the paint set was very informative too.

Newbie, please be gentle Simon Moon's Avatar

Thank you all

Quote Originally Posted by archreptile View Post
    I mostly use "Vallejo-Matt Medium" or "Vallejo-Glaze Medium" and a bit of water and i have no problems with that (sorry for that late response)

Can't believe I missed this. Lovely work, simple and effective!
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Simon,
    Beautiful work. Nice gradients.
    I was a little confused though... in the first part you mentioned you will be using glazes, but then didn't really talk about that in the later descriptions.
    Did you mean an actual glaze, or just the application of thinned down Scale75 paint with the Vallejo media? Also, as far as you can tell, is the Vallejo Matte Medium just a matte version of the Vallejo Glaze Medium?

Thank you.