So I got back into painting...

Thread: So I got back into painting...

Default So I got back into painting...

Alright so I've been thinking about getting back into painting minis for a while. Mostly stopped because I had a lot of things going on and couldn't find the time, but always had a part of me that though it was somewhat sad not to do it anymore. So when I was asked to move to Germany I though that would be the perfect place to start painting again as I didn't know anyone, don't speak the language, etc.

Turns out that was not so true, life has a way of keeping you busy, and was more busy trying to figure out the right ay to get back in, right brush to buy, paints, etc.
    So one month and a half in, last week-end, I decided to just launch myself and see how much time I could set aside - so took the car on impulse, drove to the local Games workshop, bough a bunch of paints, brushes and a mini to celebrate the new start (Despite having a huge amount of them leftover from my painting days). One week later I have a mini painted to show for it

On a side note, for the folks who where kind enough to recommend paints in the other thread, fear not I stil plan to check them out as soon as I figure a mean of payement online in this country! And never, never, buy GW brushes, those things are worst than my ten year old W&N. They split right out of the box, seriously can't use them. On the plus side, quality of the mini was really good for plastic!

It's nothing special, main objective for me was to finish something, get the paint in the right places, and not worry too much about making it perfect.
    I still need to figure out the photo part of it, and need to re-install PhotoShop on my computer (background, nothing fancy!) - but did what I could in the mean time with Lightroom, so here's a first look while I read some articles on here about photo taking as Macro is not something I've been doing!

Let me know what you think (and thanks for reading this huge text!)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by frenchkid; 07-20-2014 at 01:14 PM.

We all come back to it, eventually, don't we?

The mini looks great for a quick first job after a long break. How long has it been, by the way?

Welcome back!
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

Thanks Ritual!!

Would say it's been roughly 8 years, did some painting on and off a couple of years after that, but really minor, so at least 8 years since I've done a mini form start to finish :P Time flies!

I kind of paused my painting too, a couple of years ago. There were about three years when I didn't do anyhting much. I am slowly, but surely getting my mojo back and I've done a couple of minis in the last year.

I guess you're not a french kid anymore, are you?
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

Nice comeback
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Quote Originally Posted by Ritual View Post
    I guess you're not a french kid anymore, are you?
    He always will be a kid to me.

He's grown up to be a rather handsome man......and yes I'm comfortable saying that.
    Welcome back to being a paint slapper, Arthur.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Blog Entries

Similar story mate, i don't think you can ever stop for good unless you do a 12 step programme Good luck on your return, mini looks mighty

Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. Edgar Degas.

Ha ha, thanks guys - I would consider changing it, but frenchman just doesn't sound the same. I'll just be comfortable being one of those guys who refuses to acknowledge that he is growing up!

And Mike, I'm still undecided on whether to be flattered or scared

Be both..............works for me.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Welcome back... Painting always come back... I believe that most of these forum members shared the same story, painting when young then stopped and now just starting again!

very nice come back mini welcome back to the hobby
    more pics here if you want a squiz http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/jason

Good to see you haven't lost the knack, frenchkid

I just got back into it after a break of about 5 years and decided to join CMON (So hi all ). Going back into Games Workshop to buy new paints and brushes made me remember what I didn't enjoy about the experience - they are all about the up-sell in there (at least in my branch); at least 1/2 my time talking to the shop guy was him attempting to persuade me that what I really wanted was to get back into the GW hobby (noooooo - money-sucking! I think they've re-written the 40K rules 3 times since I stopped playing)... But anyway, I've been having a lot of fun painting the Zombicide miniatures, and it's been good to get some feedback - maybe I'll get back up to my previous standard soon, but I am definitely still re-learning a lot of techniques and tricks. Gaming-wise I have been mainly playing boardgames with a recent dabble into RPG territory.

Thanks LPtD, welcome to the hobby as well!
    Now you have to get some pics to show us those new minis

Quote Originally Posted by frenchkid View Post
    Thanks LPtD, welcome to the hobby as well!
    Now you have to get some pics to show us those new minis
    Thanks - I'm gradually building up my gallery - the Zombicide minis are getting 4.5 - 4.9 in voting, which seems a fair reflection given that I have been 'away' for a few years, and they are pretty much table-top standard.

Welcome back Arthur. You haven't even gotten rusty.

Very nice and smooth!

That's pretty good work. I used to do enamel painting on models namely WWII planes back in the day. Left that hobby for 10 years then was told that you can use acrylics on models. Too me a bit of time to wrap my head around, and to unlearn all my past painting techniques.