Thread: New Gametype: Capture the Flag

Post New Gametype: Capture the Flag

Maximum Moral

To the Flag!

We’re bored. It’s been weeks of this so called “fighting”. No major offenses planned at all. We need to heat things up. Wait a minute… what if we grabbed the underpants of the enemy’s general and hung it from our flagpole! I betcha we could do it.

Summary: It’s time. Two teams will fight to gain control of the enemy’s flag and bring it back to their own flagpole. Only limited troops are willing to partake in this venture, so spawns are limited. Strategy is big.

Requirements: Rivet Wars: Eastern Front

Special Rules: A flag spawns per faction in play. Use the flag icons. A Cavalry Unit or an Infantry unit may “pick up” the flag. Use a damage marker to indicate the one holding the flag. They must then return the flag to their SO. If the flag holder is killed, the flag automatically gets “passed down” to the next unit in the grid. If there are no more units, the flag is then placed on the grid they died in.

To recover a flag, an enemy unit only needs to enter the grid containing their flag to return it to the flag spawn. Once they make a “score” with a flag, it returns to the flag spawn.

Resources:
    • First round: 1 Cavalry (Rocket Cycle & Monowheel) 4 DPs, 2 Rivets.
    • Second Round: 5 DPs, 1 Rivets

Victory Conditions: 1 Score = 1 VPs. Play to 3 VPs.
    Name:  maximumMoral.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  19.8 KB
    ~Landship Scorpios

Here is the Document
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by comedianmasta; 08-02-2014 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Map settup was wrong
    ~Lieutenant Nathaniel Flint of the Landship Scorpios

This looks like a lot of fun. Can't wait to try it! I'm guessing Secret Missions are out, but what about the action cards?

Interesting. Most definitively Action cards are good. Maybe I should convert SM cards to deployment points to help give an edge in combat? Maybe...

Very cool! Maybe a 2 tile by 4 tile map so that the distance to carry the flag is greater? Good stuff.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by comedianmasta View Post
    Interesting. Most definitively Action cards are good. Maybe I should convert SM cards to deployment points to help give an edge in combat? Maybe...
    I like that. The more units on the board, the more fun we can have!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Terranova View Post
    Very cool! Maybe a 2 tile by 4 tile map so that the distance to carry the flag is greater? Good stuff.

I was considering that, but some of the units have a great deal of range and I envisioned the actual carrying of the flag back to be close to impossible. I figured a great arena like set up would provide more movement and the semi symmetry helps balance slightly. IDK, testing will have to commence in order to see how good this one and the Demolition gametypes work out.

You should check out the Demolition Gametype, Ted. I am the most proud of it and it is what kind of set this gametype up.

Quote Originally Posted by rray
    The more units on the board, the more fun we can have!

Agreed. I shall begin amending the rules. Action Cards can be used as normal. Secret Mission Cards will be converted to 1 VP = 2 DP and if they are DP or Rivet Rewards, use them as normal.

I am interested in any and all feedback of people who play the games and have ideas. Spawns, resources, positioning, tweaking of rules, they can all help these become more fun gametypes. Sadly, I cannot test them like I could've a month ago. So any feedback I can get would be great! Thanks!
    Last edited by comedianmasta; 08-06-2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Replied to RRRAAAAY

Quote Originally Posted by comedianmasta View Post
    I was considering that, but some of the units have a great deal of range and I envisioned the actual carrying of the flag back to be close to impossible. I figured a great arena like set up would provide more movement and the semi symmetry helps balance slightly. IDK, testing will have to commence in order to see how good this one and the Demolition gametypes work out.

You should check out the Demolition Gametype, Ted. I am the most proud of it and it is what kind of set this gametype up.

[/COLOR]Agreed. I shall begin amending the rules. Action Cards can be used as normal. Secret Mission Cards will be converted to 1 VP = 2 DP and if they are DP or Rivet Rewards, use them as normal.

I am interested in any and all feedback of people who play the games and have ideas. Spawns, resources, positioning, tweaking of rules, they can all help these become more fun gametypes. Sadly, I cannot test them like I could've a month ago. So any feedback I can get would be great! Thanks!
    I'll see if I can get my wife to play a game or two of it tonight! If so, I'll let you know. If not, I should be having some friends over next week, and I'll get them in on it!

Blog Entries

Can't wait to try this one out Comedianmasta, I've been thinking about a capture the flag scenario, then presto... you make it.

Ditto. Looking forward to trying this one! We were working on one where you could pass the flag as an action to another infantry in an adjacent grid. The flag return spots were farther apart on ours but we might try it out on your scenario after we play it a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by nitsuD View Post
    Ditto. Looking forward to trying this one! We were working on one where you could pass the flag as an action to another infantry in an adjacent grid. The flag return spots were farther apart on ours but we might try it out on your scenario after we play it a few times.
    PLEASE let me know how this goes, k? My thoughts are that killing a flag carrying unit and/or obstructing getting the flag would make the game incredibly hard. Once you start making a run you can eventually make an unopposed run back. That's why we need testing. "Capturing" the flag could be incredibly tough in rivet wars.

PS: PLEASE let me know how your games go.

• Who Won?
    • How Long?
    • What were the Resources used?
    • How many captures/bomb plants were done?
    • How effective were action and SM cards?
    • Were Tanks or Heroes used?
    • Were tanks/ heroes helpful?
    • Did a strategy work?
    • Helpful notes and or observations

Thanks Guys!