GenCon Tournament

Thread: GenCon Tournament

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default GenCon Tournament

I'm very disappointed, there were 7 of us sitting around waiting for someone to show up to run the tournament and no one ever showed up.
    I still love this game, and think Ted is great. I'm trying very hard to not join the ranks of those on the kickstarter that have nothing but negative things to say about CmoN. Can't believe that you would have people that love your game sitting around waiting for you to stand them up.

Hmm, lots of people have viewed this thread but no comments.

I know it takes a village to make a game.

So, despite Ted's vision and driving force (his imagery + unique gameplay design is what's attracted me), we do need to hear from others in the village...

Hopefully it was just a minor snafu and free swag was had by all :-)

Well I stopped by the CMoN booth this morning to ask what happened. First guy I asked didn't realize there was a Rivet Wars tournament, asked another gentleman who rolled his eyes. I was then told the Eye roller would find some answers for me. I watched as he walked to the other side of the booth and started selling Kaos Ball to people, never making any attempt to ask any other CMoN employees.

I gave up and walked away feeling very unappreciated as a customer. I guess the several hundred dollars I invested into this game wasn't enough to be treated properly.

There was no free swag to be had for anyone. Just a disappointing end to the day at the Con.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 Wolverine View Post
    Well I stopped by the CMoN booth this morning to ask what happened. First guy I asked didn't realize there was a Rivet Wars tournament, asked another gentleman who rolled his eyes. I was then told the Eye roller would find some answers for me. I watched as he walked to the other side of the booth and started selling Kaos Ball to people, never making any attempt to ask any other CMoN employees.

I gave up and walked away feeling very unappreciated as a customer. I guess the several hundred dollars I invested into this game wasn't enough to be treated properly.

There was no free swag to be had for anyone. Just a disappointing end to the day at the Con.
    I went to dragoncon last year and CMON staff acts like they are somehow above you. I understand there are volunteers etc and there is a lot of activity and all but at the time they had not many people in their booth and I am pretty sure I have seen those same guys in a few of the vids. I was like wow, what jerks. I don't even remember which one but remember thinking at the time, wow that guy was in the videos so he is actually a main staffer.

I have no idea why they are that way but they need to work on their image.

Just wanted to pop in and say that my experience at Adepticon was nothing like what Wolverine and Smoth describe. I don't doubt what they say, just saying maybe it was a fluke or a bad day for communication or what have you. I found the CMoN guys I met to be really down to earth and approachable. There was a little confusion as to who was running the second tournament due to someone having an obligation but it got worked out in a timely manner.

I think we need to remember that these things are pretty crazy and draining and the CMoN guys are only human.

Great response, CMON. You guys are doing a great job. Thank you for supporting this game!

I don't see any Rivet Wars events in the Gencon events list. The only CMON events I see are for Dark Age, Sedition Wars, Wrath of Kings, and Zombicide.
    Last edited by unszene; 08-18-2014 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by unszene View Post
    I don't see any Rivet Wars events in the Gencon events list. The only CMON events I see are for Dark Age, Sedition Wars, Wrath of Kings, and Zombicide.
    There were 7 of us with event tickets so it was listed at some point. Not sure if it was canceled and no one bothered to tell us. I know as we were sitting there waiting we were able to find it on the digital program.

The hall had table space assigned for it as well, so if it was canceled they didn't get notified either.

Looking at my GenCon account those event tickets are no longer listed. Leads me to assume it was a very late cancelation of the event. Or GenCon's system removes events once you have reported the GM was a no show and got your refund.

If it was a late cancelation having that explained to me by CMoN would have been nice, still would have sucked that I set aside that time for the event, but atleast it would have been better then getting blown off.

As an event runner in the Steampunk community this is a nightmare to me, and it enrages me. This kind of blatant... uhm... I guess forgetfulness? It is true you never know what goes on behind the scenes, and I guarantee once Ted catches wind of this he's going to be furious, however something like this would be a nightmare for me at an event I was helping with or running. And for it to be "dealt with" so.... sadly? So unprofessionally? Odds are the comon people at the booth MIGHT have been Legionaires, which means they would have limited information to begin with.

From a player/customer side, I would be enraged. Incredibly enraged. I would get my refund but I would demand compensation from the event coordinators. I mean... it's GENCON! I have paid to go. There could've been so much MORE to do. *sigh*. As a player, this will deter me from planning on participating with any con tournament that I, explicitly, am not running and/or helping with.

Thanks for posting this. I assume that in time you will get a PM and/or a reply to this thread from either Comon or Ted. Understand, however, it'll take time. They need to read this. They need to get mad/concerned, then they will contact the proper authorities and await responses and then figure out what to do.
    ~Lieutenant Nathaniel Flint of the Landship Scorpios