oistene's WIP - a mostly dead space - Page 33
Page 33 of 47 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: oistene's WIP - a mostly dead space

By the way, I'm approaching the final touches stage here, so I want some feedback on something: The green Cryx glow, how should I do it? Glazed, for the subtle effect I got on the Leviathan and the eyes of the infantry? Or by airbrush, for the more intense, covering glow I have on Deathjack?

The scheme has come together really well with the battle damage mate. Top job on the rusted chipped areas. One suggestion. Where you have painted streaks of bright silver on the metallic parts they look a little flat and don't read as scratches (esp. with the close photography). If you paint a thin line of dark (black, dark grey, or dark grey green) on the upper edge some of them they will really pop. If you only do it on some then the remaining ones will read much more as scuff marks than they do now.

Thanks Stew - I did exactly that right after posting the pictures, as they were too hard to see. Looks much better now.

Nice job, I really like how you did the rust.

Nice approach Oistene! I find some of the scratches a bit too wide for them being scratches, I think thinner ones will work better, also "blacklining" them seems to be a good idea since it will gave them a little 3D touch.
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

Thanks guys! Maenas, I fixed some of the thicker lines while blacklining, looks a lot better, I'm about to base and put on pigments now so you'll be able to see it in the finished photos. The thicker bits can be turned into dents, but I didn't really figure that out. I think I'll look into that when I'll paint my colossal.

I really like the rust patches on that thing, nicely done looking forward to seeing the end result, by now it may be too late but I think I prefer the intense glow like your death jack

Not too late, about to seal, which I do before glow. I'm changing my mind back and forth here... Might have to do a little of both...

My warjacks are still sitting on my shelf, 98% finished and waiting for me to make up my mind. In the mean time, I cranked out this guy over the weekend:

Name:  2016-03-13 23.39.53.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  1.75 MB

My latest commission is also well on the way:

Name:  2016-03-10 16.21.52.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  1.72 MB

I love these guys; they are both the kind of thing I like to paint, and I'm being paid properly so I get to paint them at a high quality. Eager to get back to them now; however, I have some bookkeeping to do first. Stupid chores getting in the way of my painting....

I am loving these updates my friend. Keep them coming! *pom-pom waving for inspiration and enthusiasm*
    Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. ~ Edgar Degas

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

In that case, Arch, have another. It's leg day!

Name:  2016-03-14 16.56.16.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  1.75 MB

Looks like you are attaching the wings with magnets. If so, how well do the work on those big pieces?

Phew, lots of updates! You're really cranking out some good stuff Oist. Like the armour you've done on this latest one.

Thanks all! Yeah, they'll both be a bit of Nurgle-y. The guy with the scythe is really cool, he came with predrilled holes and magnets - the stumps on his neck can be removed and replaced with wings, so you can run different versions. I'll show you later, I'll start with prettyboy here and do fatty after.

Yay! I have a "pretty boy" sitting in my to-be-painted box waiting for some primer. I'm having to be careful with my time at the moment (assignments are upon me!) so I'm focussing on my sculpting, but painting will draw me back in soon. Wish I could split myself and do both hobbies.
    Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. ~ Edgar Degas

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

My man oist cranking out the awesome, incredible stuff man. I really like the skeleton caster.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Really awesome work...again...

OH! nice advancement! I think I am falling behind with all the work you are putting out lately, still reading all of your posts though.

Did you have problems with the wings staying in place (rotating over themselves)? They look pretty solid attached.
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by oistene View Post
    Thanks guys! Maenas, I fixed some of the thicker lines while blacklining, looks a lot better, I'm about to base and put on pigments now so you'll be able to see it in the finished photos. The thicker bits can be turned into dents, but I didn't really figure that out. I think I'll look into that when I'll paint my colossal.
    One of the things that I found helped with the reducing thicker lines while doing battle damage was to use a sort of two-brush blending approach. I'd lay the line down with one brush, then follow up with a second, bigger, slightly damp brush to move back and forth across the a portion of the painted line to thin it out/soak it up to the point it disappears... It helped me to get in the angular areas too.

Overall though, I think it's a great effect that you've done with the rust, it's just too bad it doesn't have enough contrast with the rest of armor plating