Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: oistene's WIP - a mostly dead space

Ask, Tero, and you shall receive:

BF already suggested red in the green, and a little blue shouldn't hurt either... thanks! The purple has me skeptical, though! Something greyish puple/violet? I have a long way to go on color theory, using purple on yellow wouldn't even cross my mind.

Thanks for the praise, Zab... I had been hoping to show some progress on the table as well, but it is locked into T's house, and he decided to spend Christmas in Spain. So maybe later.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Purple is great for shading yellow and green! You could pull some of your greens into the deepest recesses of the res too to tie them together, but really so far you should stick to your plane because it's looking great. You can always tweek with glazes and shades later
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Guess I got to give it a shot! What's nice about this guy is that he has lots of hidden spots where I can try things out before I apply it to the whole model. Thanks guys!

Looking at the overall shot I'm seeing good work there, could I suggest that the elbows an heels could take an 'echo' of the pink tone on them, just like ours do.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I'll do that, it's a nice detail, DR. Thanks for the suggestion, and for the praise.

Keep at it oistene you'r doing great I like your transition from the green to the yellow.

Can you see that it changed?

I did a few layers of greyish purple, using a thin juice to make sure it didn't become too dominating. I liked that a lot, finally got the shadows in. Then, I glazed all the beige with the yellow glaze, which muted the purple quite a bit, so I think I need to go over the most important parts once it dries. I didn't add pink as DR suggested yet, once I am completely happy with the yellow/beige parts, I'll add that before finishing up the green.

And also... it is past midnight here, so HAPPY NEW YEAR! I always party on New Year's Eve, but this year my fiance is working, so I get to stay home with the kids. Suits me just fine, since I have a load of stuff I want to paint. Really want to get this guy done now...

Hmmm... I'm hoping to take some advantage of the superior observation skills some of you guys possess. Take a look at these things:

Any idea what they are supposed to be? I was going to paint them up as barnacles, and I can see that some barnacles are present, but there's also some other stuff there so now I am having second thoughts. A miscast? Any good ideas on what I can do with them?

Also, didn't add a picture but the second round of purple worked perfectly. Some minor highlights, and that part is done.

Looks to me it's some kind of moss that lives on the thing since it's mostly spent it's time in a swamp? That's my first idea but like you said let the experts speak. Skin disease?

Maybe seaweed? The morgaur is a salt water creature, not a swamp thing (I should know, I am also a salt water creature, grew up around barnacles), so it isn't moss.

Quote Originally Posted by oistene View Post
    Maybe seaweed? The morgaur is a salt water creature, not a swamp thing (I should know, I am also a salt water creature, grew up around barnacles), so it isn't moss.
    I think you nailed it, anyway something from the flora.

Actually, I think it is a somewhat crappy cast. Look here: http://vesper-on.com/index.php?optio...mid=14&lang=en

Got a good look off the box art there, and there's a lot less stuff there than mine has. Of course, it can *become* seaweed...

Looks like it's part of the piece i can see on them the same thing. Go with you instincts on this, that's what i would do.

Whatever it is supposed to be I'm kinda comfortable that you'll be able to make work as part of the figure.
    Now how are you planning the approach to the barnacles?
    My experience with them (Limited) makes me think that VMC Iraqi Sand would be the 'go to' colour, but with a thin "chocolate" brown tone worked into the IS as shadows.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Trying to paint something without having an idea of what is going to be is a bad plan, so I fooled around with it a bit, then decided to make the whole thing barnacles. Or maybe some coral or shell. Either way, it is all painted the same now, and it looks all right. DR, I think they should be a bit whiter, they are basically chalk. What I've done is this: I made a foundation of VMC Yellow Sand, then covered almost all of this with GW Ushabti Bone, then highlighted with VMC Ivory. Finally I gave it a wash... I was torn between Umber and Sepia, ended up with using Sepia. Either should work, but Sepia gives a bit more pop.

That should be proper dry now, so the plan is to neaten it up and highlight. I wonder if I should first touch it up with Bone or IS, and then drybrush with Ivory and some of the nice white I got as a Halloween freebie from Reaper. That should make it chalky, for once I actually want that effect.

I think I am reaching a state of done here... Still need to do a bit of work on the claws and the face, and I need to make up my mind if I should stipple its shoulders to add a little detail. At one side I think it would look cool, on the other hand I feel that the texture of the skin defeats the purpose of stippling. Any thoughts?

A bit of a close-up on the details... while doing the teeth, I discovered that when part of the support had fallen off, it had fallen on its face and shipped its mouth in two places! I hate it when that happens... fortunately, this was easy enough to fix. I think I need to hit the green once again, and either add a few more highlights, or get soften of some of the ones I made. As it is now, some of the highlights look like faded spots.

I added the pink, as DR suggested - I'd be lying if I said I found it easy to do, but I was pretty pleased with the final result. It is subtle without being invisible, and looks natural. Looks a bit as if it has sore elbows, which is a look I approve of.

I'd really like some input on the face - I added more shadows and highlights here than anywhere else, and I am pretty pleased with the result, but I want a little more ... oomph. I added the blue/purple several people suggested earlier, should I strengthen it?

I'd also love to get some input on how to paint the eyes. The original plan was to to simply leave them black like that of an octopus, and use Reaper Nightmare Black which has a bluish beetle shell black, and cover it with 'Ardcoat when I am done. Now I consider if I'd want them more reptilian... maybe inverse the eye of a 'regular' reptile, and put a colored slit in a black eye. As I said, any input is appreciated.

I like the black for the eyes. Dragon/reptile type eyes would be fun too. I did those on my sleeping chibi and giant squig and it looked great. Black is more disturbing though, actually is you look up my lee's painting blog he had a large scale alien bust that he did a cool look on the eyes where the are black and milky >>>>
    http://mrleespaintingemporium.blogsp...-finished.html
    There is one where he talks about the eyes a bit...Found it!
    http://mrleespaintingemporium.blogsp...ms-monday.html
    Hope that helps
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Okay Zab, you had me at 'dragon'. I didn't consider that reptile eyes were dragon eyes... and I want this to be a fish, not a dragon. So black eyes it is! Love the articles, the use of silver as a glaze is very interesting.

Decided that it was time to mount the beast on the base, since holder had fallen apart. I had been a bit afraid of this bit, since the pins had stuck REALLY well to the holder. But, success, it came loose easy, no damage, I cut the pins and started to place the pieces.

And from there, it all went downhill. The pieces didn't fit very well, probably due to me not dryfitting the pins properly and pinning things unevenly. After much hassle, I got everything together with only a couple of scrapes, nothing I couldn't fix easy, but the right leg insisted on hovering, so I had to press it down. Getting tried of holding it (I used my strong, flexible but unfortunately slow-drying superglue), I gave it a hit with the accelerator. I removed my hand, and...

I won't cry. I promise.
    Attached Images Attached Images