What annoys you on mini\'s? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What annoys you on mini\'s?

It\'s not good I think to mix hot curry and painting I have done that several times and found that I spent more time lifting my behind to vent exhaust fumes than actually painting, a nice mild korma or medium tikka I find is much better.
    Oh and as for minis I find tiny studs a real bind (back to my eyes again) but when I try to pick them out the end of the brush just becomes a blurr so I end up guessing or spending way to long letting my eyes readjust inbetween doing one or two of them.

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Calavera
    I\'m with you on the skulls.. particularly when people paint them like real skulls, wayyy too much trouble, and for what ? Miniature-miniature skulls ? Silly...

And than I don\'t like mini\'s with sculpted bases on to them, looks like sponge.. :|~
    I\'m with ya on both of those. I mean, if it\'s a skull on a belt-buckle, it\'s not very likely to be bone, but much more likely metal. Ditto for skulls on shields, sword hilts, shoulder pad armor, etc. ;)

And the built-in bases! GRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I really hate those. Not only do they look like ass, but they make it really hard to paint. Plus, if you just mount them on another square or round plastic base (so all of your models have similar basing), they wind up being taller or looking like they\'re standing on a giant mushroom head. :flame:

Originally posted by Duende
    Back banners just look nice and make a mini stand out. Really not neccesary, though. I mean, traditionally, way back in the old days, banners would mark each army or unit on a battlefield, and was usually near the commander or general, that was it was easy for messengers to find them, and to know if that group is still fighting (like if the banner goes down and doesn\'t rise again, that group\'s probably all dead).
    However, I can\'t see as that Space marines would need them since they have things like radio, and other electronic transmition devices. Of course, these are hyped-up, warmongering men, they probably like drawing attention to themselves. Every banner should just say, \"You want me?! Come get some!\"
    :D:rolleyes:
    Yeah, exactly...If the 40k universe was real, and the unit had any sense of self preservation, the 20 foot high banner would be loaded onto the one poor sod of a runty space marine who spelt his name \"Cunnus\" (look it up) insted of \"Cunius\" on his chapter exam paper. In the 40k universe, however, the beefy commanding guys high on the emperors wrath (and healthy doses of bull testosterone) are the ones to carry the flag.

Sorcerer

Originally posted by finn17
    Giant signatures that distort the format of the web page......:innocent:
    Is that me?

What size should I make it to fit in fine?

Default I don\'t know...

I think you might have to experiment.

At the moment it looks bloody enormous and is 802 X 200 pixels.

I would check through the forums and find one the size you like and change yours to suit.

You can get the properties of an image by right-clicking and selecting \'properties\'. You will then be able to see the size.

I just checked Spacemunkies on page 1 and his is 468 X 59. Nelson\'s, on this page, is 375 X 117.

I would guess 600 pixels wide should fit on without making people resize their screen.

There is nothing inherently wrong with having a graphical signature, but at the moment, yours is a little \'in your face\';)

Sturmhalo

It is a whopper!

By the way, I hate those minis that look great on-line or in the catalogue, but when you get them they look shite (older Reaper stuff perhaps!).

Default Heh...

The multi-piece mini that always has a bit left over...:D

You suspect it belongs to another mini entirely...

You desperately look for attachment points and find none..

You wonder whether it isn\'t just a big piece of flash...

Think of it this way: some people might still have monitors set at 640x480. So a sig that\'s over aroung 400 px wide will cause horizontal scrolling for them... which is b.a.d.

Mold lines has got to be first, especially ones that cross over the face of the mini and somehow the mold gets mis-aligned during the casting process. In cases like this I hope the FLGS will take the mini back and replace it. If they won\'t, I hope the manufacturer will.

The second is a mini that is PERFECT for a character or NPC you\'ve got in mind, but has something on it that requires massive conversion because the mini is specific to a certain group (such as spider emblems all over a \"drow elf\" figure or skull faces and mummy wrappings covering what would otherwise be a perfect living priestess).

Orginal gepostet von Ritual
    Originally posted by Mosch
    Mold lines are pretty annoying, but what really pisses me off is a mini that wears a cape or similar that stops close to the base. I can never get the brush under there to at least paint it dark.
    @mosch
    You should paint these areas before you stick the mini on the base.

-Anders
    I dare you to come by and tell me the same thing the next time I paint a Reaper mini.... take Ulern. His *expletice deleted* cape wrapped around his hand is pulled in front of hihs chest and calves. The hand holding the cape is, by the way, not sculpted either. Now paint that..... ARGH!

Origineel geplaatst door G-nome
    some clever git invents some moulding process that doesnt leave any mould lines ever anywhere.
    No, GW doesn\'t have the patents. :) There are several techniques to cast without mouldlines but they are much more expensive in time and money. One is lost wax casting where you sacrifice both the master and the mould.

Originally posted by No Such Agency
    Think of it this way: some people might still have monitors set at 640x480. So a sig that\'s over aroung 400 px wide will cause horizontal scrolling for them... which is b.a.d.
    Wow, monitors still do that size? :P

Sorcerer

Originally posted by No Such Agency
    I have a widescreen laptop and no such problems.

The only problem will be the banner and everything will be \'warped\' if I try and make it smaller, but I\'ll see what I can do tonight.

Hmm, I must be alone on this. OH WELL!

I HATE BAD HAIR!

Things like the hair on the wood elf wardancers drives me NUTS.. I really hate that kind of hair.

Aside from that and GIANT APE HANDS there is little else I hate.

Hi-lite-r

Default sig.

In photoshop you can resize by pixels and not by stretching or shrinking existing pixels. I can do it if you would like.

Sorcerer

That would be great, but before I resize, I plan on re-doing my name. Posted a seperate post on this.

But once that\'s done, I\'ll give you a yell.

Thanks.

Default Just realized i never said what i dislike in a mini

and it\'d have to be overdone bases that draw attention away from the character. Don\'t like that... keep it simple st*p*d is my modo for bases. i really (and i mean really) like painting minis in more showing off style poses, but like *trying* to sculpt minis in action style poses.

Origineel geplaatst door SmothThings like the hair on the wood elf wardancers drives me NUTS.. I really hate that kind of hair.
    Er, do you mean the hairstyle? With the wardancers that is \"mohawks\", \"ponytails sticking in the air\" and \"electrified\". Or do you mean the finish of the sculpting?

it is the electricuted look. The same goes for any of the mohawks, dwarf slayers and clan esher are other examples. I REALLY hate the hair on minis when it is done like this. It is just so agrivating. oh and those confrontation figures... like the redlioness(on her horse) or the Valkyries of Alahan. It just drives me nuts.

Origineel geplaatst door Smothit is the electricuted look. The same goes for any of the mohawks, dwarf slayers and clan esher are other examples.
    Ah good, I don\'t need to hide my female dwarf with ponytail for you. :D

By the way, we\'re discussing this thread on the sculptor\'s list right now. Thanks for the comment everybody, it\'s quite interesting to read. As to mold lines, no way to avoid them for the fime being. Only thing that can be done is to try to make sure they don\'t cross a critical areas (though this will depend on the mouldmaker too).

Bye, Ming-Hua