Best paint for oil washes?

Thread: Best paint for oil washes?

Default Best paint for oil washes?

Does the brand of oil paint matter for oil washes? I've been using Windsor & Newton oil paints. One issue I've been dealing with is pigment separation if I thin out the wash too much. I'm wondering if different oil paint brands have finer pigments.

Alternatively, I'm wondering if water-colour washes would be better to thin out the mix more?

This is a classic "Horses for courses" issue.
    Oil washes are best IMO for specific types of work, such as larger scale figures where the blending and shading they allow can be used for subtle effects and for Scenic effects as I've done demo's with Water Soluble oil paints to get great stained rock results.
    On 28mm I'm not convinced I get the best results with them! but there are others out there who blow holes in walls by using them.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I haven't tried them on 28mm minis (yet). I'm using oil washes on bigger models.

I'll probably give water colour a washes a go and see if the results are any better.

Shponglefan , it's Water Soluble OILS, not water colours.
    The oils I've got from W&N you can thin with odour free solvent as well as water and you can end up with very fine glazes.
    Sorry if I've confused you.

Water colours I've never tried to use as on a mini but now you've got me thinking.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    , and proud of it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shponglefan View Post
    Does the brand of oil paint matter for oil washes? I've been using Windsor & Newton oil paints. One issue I've been dealing with is pigment separation if I thin out the wash too much. I'm wondering if different oil paint brands have finer pigments.

Alternatively, I'm wondering if water-colour washes would be better to thin out the mix more?
    Yes. There are a multitude of brands varying in quality. W&N paints would not be my recommended source for fine work or glazing, you may come across particles of pigment. What are you using for a glaze medium? If only turpentine the pigment will separate from the oil. Cheaper paints tend to have less oil/pigment and are bulked out with driers and all sorts of unwanted stuff. If you want to go 28mm with oil i'd suggest a true artists paint, hand ground if poss and use a fine detail glaze medium. W&N Liquin comes in a fine detail form for miniature painting (eg little cameo things n all that), as for paint it would be Michael Harding for me, or Old Holland

Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. Edgar Degas.

Michael Harding.......really good quality Oils, perhaps a bit too good for just washes.
    , and proud of it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Michael Harding.......really good quality Oils, perhaps a bit too good for just washes.
    Umm, yip, i do get a wee bit carried away with oils.... just i need them... as for just washes, well it's the medium u need, if the pigment is a bit gritty, push it aside. Lukas studio are a fine student paint i would recommend, the synthetic pigments are really good too... oh aye, and Blockx oil paints, great price and probably no pigment issues, synthetic also... good luck

Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. Edgar Degas.

In the fine arts world Winsor & Newton oil paints are considered mediocre.

There are far better brands available, including Holbein, Williamsburg, Rembrandt, and BlockX. I have used all of them and consider them better handling and better textured than Winsor and Newton.

I'm using the Daler Rowny graduate oils... is that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Oboe Concerto View Post
    I'm using the Daler Rowny graduate oils... is that bad?
    For the use we put them to, No not at all.
    , and proud of it.