Broken Mini... and it\'s a good one. HELP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Mini... and it\'s a good one. HELP!

Ninja-to

Default Broken Mini... and it\'s a good one. HELP!

I bought a new mini, the \"Dark Heaven\" Blackguard Talarand (02789) and I made a link to it so you can see it.

http://www.reapermini.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=802&cat=0&page=1

It broke, right at where the sword meets the hand. I bought it from the store, liked it, got it home, and after taking a much closer look realized the sword was bent up on a very sharp angle. I did my very best to slowly, slowly bend it back into shape, and felt it going weaker. Finally, it broke right off.
    :(

I tried some glue, but it was too weak. I tried to use \'green stuff\', but that didn\'t work either. The part where the sword meets the hand isn\'t very big as you can imagine, and the sword is very long, so it just needs a bit of a touch to break free again.

I\'m out here in Japan, and paid about $10 for this figure and I don\'t want to throw it away. What can I do?? I really want to use it as I think it would look great fully painted.

I\'m sure this has happened to a lot of people, and frankly I\'m tired of small parts of figures snapping off so easily. There must be a good way to make small parts \'stay\' where they\'re supposed to.

Can you take it back to the shop and ask them if they will exchnge it as it was badly bent when bought? If that isn\'t an option you could find a figure with a similarly sized sword and hand, take the hand off it and pin it to the blackguard after removing his hand.

Shaz

Ninja-to

I\'ve been painting for years but never realized there was so much info on the web etc about paining minis... so this question is going to sound lame...

Could you direct me somewhere where I can find out in basic step by step detail on how to properly pin minis...?:rolleyes:

I\'m hoping the sword itself could be somehow pinned, as the hand/wrist is about the same size as the sword/hand

Ok, try these:

Heresy How to

or this thread......Thread on pinning

Hope these help,

Shaz

Default Pinning

If you look at Dr Fausts
    Painting Clinic there is a good article on pinning larger miniature pieces. The same would apply to the sword you\'re trying to pin but only on a smaller scale. You\'ll need a pin vice or twist drill as they\'re sometimes called. I use paper clips or something similar, cut it to the desired length, and glue it into the hand. Line up the sword and see where the hole should be made in the hilt. To help it line up you could put a blob of paint on the pin and touch it on the sword, it will leave a mark where the new hole should be made. Then simply glue the pin inside the sword hole you just made. Just remeber to be gentle and use appropriate sized pins/drills to fix it.

Hope this was some help. If not just type \"Pinning Miniatures\" into Google and you shall see examples of how to do it!

Ninja-to

Thanks a lot guys. I\'ll try these suggestions. I have hope for this mini yet...

You know love em or hate em GW do some excellent write ups on painting minis you can get the info off the web or if you want to be able to refer directly to something then the book How To Paint Citadel Miniatures is a good buy.
    Only don\'t take their explanations too literally and try experimenting. Also there are some great articles here and as Fizl said try the Heresy link.
    The guys there are very helpful and they do some cool minis as well.

Welcome to the forums Ninja-to:

I\'d definitley go for the pinning. It seems hard at first but it is definitley worth it, I hated to do it at first but it is now a critical and obligatory step in preparing any competition figures.

Couple of tips;
    Drill slowly as this will give you better control.
    Take the drill tip out of the hole occasionally to remove the waste materials.
    Use any spare figure sponge to rest the body of the mini on when drilling into it, helps to protect the details.
    Keep the first aid kit handy! I\'ve lost count of the number of times I\'ve slipped and skewered myself when drilling a fiddly bit.

Welcome to the site!

I\'ll look forward to seeing your black guard.:D

Ninja-to

Default Excellent site and forum...!

Very new here as you can see. Thanks for both the advice and the nice welcome!

I tried the pinning. Amazingly, I didn\'t skewer myself in the hand (or head) and the sword is now on nice and tight! Thanks so much. I had to buy some hellah expensive \'Pin Vise\' + bits but it was well worth it. I got carried away with some of those links and I\'ve convinced myself I\'m going to start trying to do conversions. All after visiting here. This place is such a cool inspiriation.

I\'d love to post a picture of this Blackguard when I\'m done but frankly I\'d be embarrassed! There are just too many fantastic painters out here. It would be like trying to show Bruce Lee how well you can do a jump kick... :bouncy:

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Ninja, you might try sending Reaper an email. I have had great service from them. Once had a dragon with 2 left feet. They send the correct feet, got it in two days. Cannot beat that.

Try questions@reapermini.com

Ninja-to

Originally posted by airhead
    Ninja, you might try sending Reaper an email. I have had great service from them. Once had a dragon with 2 left feet. They send the correct feet, got it in two days. Cannot beat that.

Try questions@reapermini.com
    HAHAH! Two left feet! That\'s classic! Sounds like some sort of play on words. I guess he wouldn\'t be good at marching in an army. That was a lame azz joke, but the image is where the fun is... ;)

I already managed to pin the sword in. I think it\'s stronger now than if it was brand new and in perfect shape! But it\'s good to know they\'re (Reaper) are reliable. Problem is though, I live in Japan right now. Not sure they\'d be able to help me much...

As a side note, I bought the Familiars II pack and had a bonus little wyrmling/pseudodragon inside. Not going to complain about that ;)

Originally posted by Ninja-to

I\'d love to post a picture of this Blackguard when I\'m done but frankly I\'d be embarrassed! There are just too many fantastic painters out here. It would be like trying to show Bruce Lee how well you can do a jump kick... :bouncy:
    i feel the same way...\"ipaintminis\" not \"ipostminis\" and for very good reason too...

i stink :bouncy:

Ninja-to

It\'s ok your avatar is cute, you\'re allowed.:]

@ipaintminis & Ninja-to:

To quote a reasonable movie:

\"Aim Small, Miss Small\"

Take the small steps to painting and do post figures. Don\'t forget we all started somewhere and Yes my earlier stuff on here (and not !) looks like something the dog\'s coughed up. But I am getting better!
    One day I hope to win something at a Golden Deamon, but I still think that\'s a way off.
    You two have an advantage over me in that you are younger (easily and have more time to perfect your skills than I.)
    So start now and you\'ll find that there are some people who will give good advice.
    Mind you there are also some evil buggers on here as well (Me for one ;) !)

G-nome

I imagine bruce lee is the ideal candidate to show your side kick to. (\"G\'day Bruce, wanna see my sidekick?\"\"Yes of course.\" \"Come on in Moth Kid meet Bruce.\")
    Damn it was Jump Kick my whole joke is ruined. How arse. And hes dead anyway. Its been that sort of day. At least we havent had an earthquake today. Yet. .....any minute now....

My original point was that showing the experts what you can do is a good idea when they are willing to help you out. Theres a bunch of people willing to comment and give great advice to you here even if you do have to talk loudly and repeat everything you say. I hear slices of battenberg help too. If all else fails offer beer.

Ninja-to

Never thought of it that (those) way(s). I suppose you\'re right everyone needs to start somewhere and the best advice would come from people who have been there/done that.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Ninja-to, yes it is slightly intimidating to post here. You have some seriously great painters / artists on this site.

BUT, the way to get better is to have them tell you where you went wrong. Next mini, fix it, get better and post another mini. The comments here are mostly meant to help someone improve. I have gone from a 4+ painter to a 6+ painter here. And if my old eyes and shakey hands can do it, anybody can.

Same for you IPM.:P - Post em.

Tirnan

Ninja-to I point you to boltgun (on www.bolter&chainsword.com) who in a 9 month period went from first mini to winning a golden demon award.

I think what holds most folks back is two parts... time (includes effort) and knowledge. The knowledge is out there and this is a great site for much of it. Even reviewing the homesites of many of the top painters will produce many more tutorials for you to look at. You have to be the one to decide to put in the time though.

A well trained mini painter only willing to put 1 hour effort into a ten man unit is going to produce sub par work. An untrained painter putting in 20 hours per fig is going to produce something reasonably nice.

Unless you get to me... 20 hour dog piles and I scratch my head. I suppose soon I\'ll need to start putting up pics to get specific advice.

Good luck, and what part of Japan are you in? I was stationed in Misawa for 3 years from 89 to 92.

Tirnan

Ninja-to

Wow sounds amazing. Only 9 months. But I bet he was already a killer artist in another medium. By the way the link doesn\'t work.

I\'m very close to Tokyo by train. About 30 minutes.

I\'ll keep at it. Right now I\'m spending anywhere from 3 to 12 hours on one figure. The hardest one I\'ve ever painted was recently. An air elemental. I was shocked. I thought it would be a simple case of highlighting from a light grey up, but it ended up being the most tedious twisty tornado like thingy in the universe. I had to go back so many times and eventually I was literally painting every thin line by hand. Drybrushing just wasn\'t working. Grrr. Anyway it was a learning experience.

My next experiments will be very simple weapon conversions and a first attempt at NMM (non-metal-*somesuch*) painting a sword.:flip: