Returning to hobby, some painting questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Returning to hobby, some painting questions

Default Returning to hobby, some painting questions

I just bought a Warhammer Island of Blood boxed set, to return to this hobby after 25 years... I bought the games workshop primer (skull white), glue and brushes... but could I use the large selection of high-quality artist's acrylics I already own, or is there a real advantage to buying the Citadel paints?

You could use your artists acrylics, I've seen instances where quite good results were achieved. You'd need to thin them properly, and adjust for any idiosyncrasies, but that's about it.

However, I think buying GW brushes may not be the best, as they die fairly quickly. If you are serious about painting, suggest you get some good Kolinsky Sable brushes. If not, some good quality synthetics should suffice.

You can also buy glue for cheap. Bear in mind, GW primer isn't primer - it's an undercoat. Proper primer has teeth, and can be had from several cheaper sources - automobile primer like Halfords is better and cheaper than GW. Just be mindful to just dust the model, not saturate it with primer.

Yeah, I would avoid GW paints if possible. They're fine to use if you want, you're just paying a premium for the GW brand and there are plenty of other options out there. If you're looking for dedicated mini paint take a look at Vallejo, Reaper, or P3. But, as gohkm said, you should be fine using the acrylics you already own. I'm not sure what their consistency is, but there's a good chance they'll need to be thinned down a bit.

I've tried "true primer", for me it just comes out too dusty. The GW stuff is still my go-to choice.

As for canvas artist acrylics, I've been told that they usually have a lower pigment concentration, so coverage is usually a tad weaker. Not 100% sure about this though... I've used canvas paints on terrain (but never models) and had good results there. You certainly have to play around with the consistency more than you would with a dedicated miniature paint (such as GW or PP).

Thanks everyone! I will stick with my current acrylics for now. The box was supposed to arrive today but it didn't... :-(

It's going be wierd going from the old days where I had 5 proper figures (not counting the blobs I cast myself) to having two largely complete armies.
    Last edited by Ags; 09-24-2014 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kim View Post
    I've tried "true primer", for me it just comes out too dusty. The GW stuff is still my go-to choice.
    Please take it from experience GW spray paint isn't very good, car primer is far superior. If you think it's too dusty, you are possibly holding the figure too far from the can. Perhaps you might be better off trying Tamiya Fine primer spray.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I've been using some Golden Artist Acrylics for a while now. They work just fine on minis. Though I have had to make some adjustments in how much I dilute. I also have to go over some colours with matte medium as they can dry quite glossy (by design). Its definitely worth investing in some decent brushes and ditching the GW spray for primer/undercoat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    Yeah, I would avoid GW paints if possible. They're fine to use if you want, you're just paying a premium for the GW brand and there are plenty of other options out there. If you're looking for dedicated mini paint take a look at Vallejo, Reaper, or P3.
    +1. If you do opt to go with a miniature-specific paint, anything but GW is far better value for the money.

Checking what I've got... I have 12 regular colors including a couple of tubes of darker blue and brown both with high transparency - I'm thinking these will be useful for washes. I ordered some small 20ml tubes of metallics today - I got bronze and tin for the more functional metal objects and silver and light gold for flourishes (I'm guessing silver is appropriate for my high elves). I don't have many light shades for drybrushing though, and I might need some more shades of green. I also ordered some mat varnish. I did not get any matte medium today, I'll wait and see if I need it.

No idea about your Artists Acrylics, but if I were entering the hobby today I would likely buy all Scale75 paints. I've heard nothing but excellent things about all of their products. So if you do decide to branch out, look here first. You WILL notice the difference if you go from a spray paint (GW) to a genuine primer. And it is far cheaper if you go with an automotive. Personally, I use P3 white primer and it goes on so smooth that you can make mistakes when applying it and it magically seems to even out and go on smooth.
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Quote Originally Posted by BloodFather of Kharnath View Post
    No idea about your Artists Acrylics, but if I were entering the hobby today I would likely buy all Scale75 paints.
    yes and no.
    yes they are good, but I'd still advise against buying ALL in any paint line. About half the colors will never be used. Better get the colors you need and a shade/highlight for that.
    That is of course unless you have money to burn. In that case I'd say get the full scale75 + full P3 + full reaper + full VMC/VAC + some GW

What he said. ^^^ However, depending on how much you paint, there WILL come a time and place to use every paint. I believe I have a larger paint collection than most, and they all get used at one point or another. And scale color set really isn't that large. Certainly not as large as Citadel or VMC. More along the lines of P3 in size. Probably smaller.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

I'm painting up my first four skaven. The only real problem I've had so far has been that white has not gone on very smoothly while drybrushing - my skaven teeth are looking a bit powdery. The other thing is I don't have a black, so I had to mix it. Thinned down my mix is a bit green but it gets black after a few layers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Drybrush tends to look powdery and especially so with lighter colours. Try taking more paint off the brush and using several passes to build up your colour. Other wise try some glazes of thinned colour that is between the base colour and the drybrush colour to smooth out the finish.

Sound advice from Stew thar. Whites tend to chalk up very easily and it can take a very high quality pigment to avoid this. If you DO invest in another white, go with an off white from Vallejo.

Ivory from Vallejo is considered to be a good dry brushing white. I've used it for edge highlighting with reasonable success, and it hasn't looked chalky.

I was thinking of trying preshading with the next batch of skaven, but with the white going on so rough I might not. Is the GW white OK for drybrushing? I have an order for them at the end of the month, I could just add in a white.

Shponglefan is exactly right about VMC Ivory. The best white I have ever used for many purposes. It's my highlight tone, or the color I mix with other colors to highlight. So it gets used a lot, maybe more so than any other paint I own. Also great on its own, for edge highlighting, and even passes the test of watering down a lot for glazing (where most whites chalk over).

Citadel's whites are definitely much better than what you are currently using, though you will still notice they chalk up. So while much better, and though they won't always chalk up if your other properties are set up well, it's best to go with Vellejo Model Color Ivory.

Thanks everyone on this thread for the advice.

Regarding the Vallejo paint, do you mean this one:

http://www.sceneryworkshop.nl/vallej...lor-ivory.html

yes, that's the one.