Returning to hobby, some painting questions - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Returning to hobby, some painting questions

Quote Originally Posted by Ags View Post
    Thanks everyone on this thread for the advice.

Regarding the Vallejo paint, do you mean this one:

http://www.sceneryworkshop.nl/vallej...lor-ivory.html
    Yep that's the baby!
    I use a companion paint VMC Iraqi Sand as a slightly darker tone, which has proved very handy in my usage for cream or bone colours.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

^^^I have more than one paint in my collection because this guy said it would be superior, and so far they've all worked just as advertised. Looks like I'll be picking up VMC Iraqi Sand this week. Seriously, when he recommends a paint, go buy it!! Dude should have a blog where he reviews products or something. I know I heard about VMC Ivory because I'd heard from someone else that DR thought it was the stuff. Haven't looked at any other white since.
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

I've just returned from a much too long break. What I would say is go with what you know for now. I got the GW starter set and the limited amount of colours made me think about what I had and how to use it.
    it kickstarted a whole load of memories and the reduced palette kept the whole thing together.
    im going to keep going with my starter set and until I get really stuck I'm not going to get any more paints

I'm really pleased with my artist's acrylics so far. I confess I am doing army painting with washes and drybrushing, but the results have been good (for me). I've been able to mix a range of subtle shades with my current colors, and I've been able to achieve some nice effects like rusty steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ags View Post
    I'm really pleased with my artist's acrylics so far. I confess I am doing army painting with washes and drybrushing, but the results have been good (for me). I've been able to mix a range of subtle shades with my current colors, and I've been able to achieve some nice effects like rusty steel.
    Good to hear that this has worked for you. I have considered getting a white from AA because they are normally a very bright white from what I've heard.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Regarding the Vallejo paints, what would be a good black? I currently have no black, and while I can mix an OK black, I can't concoct a neutral grey.

I was in the UK last week and I picked up a couple of GW metallics (dark bronze and gunmetal) as I'm finding the Amsterdam brand metallics quite tricky - I need 4 undiluted coats to get sufficient coverage. But I suppose such weak coverage has its advantages for blending.

Citadel is known to make some good metallics. Their last range was even better, apparently. That gunmetal is a very versatile paint for steels. Scale75 is known to make the premiere metallic range at this time. It is actually modeled as an improved version of the old citadel range of metallics. Or so their co- creator claims this is the case. Vallejo model air is also known to have awesome metallics. Stay away from all other companies, IMO.

Furthermore, a good black from VMC is likely VMC Matt Black, I believe it is called. Not sure entirely tho. I use GW Abbadon Black, tho this is known as an inferior black. Again, Scale75 makes a superior black range. Golden Acrylics has a superior matt black as well. Not too sure about the Vallejo blacks. I have the black glaze but have yet to use it.

Vallejo Air Black. Just super. I like it way more than the black from the VMC range even though it's much thinner and all.

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXxxx View Post
    Vallejo Air Black. Just super. I like it way more than the black from the VMC range even though it's much thinner and all.
    Great. Now I have to buy this to try it out....is it super matt?

A note on primer...

My favourite is Tamiya Light Grey... Lots of people say white, many say black... I like the middle ground, it's light enough to let the colours shine through and dark enough to pop the detail.

Just remember paint is not primer and primer is not paint.

Be young, have fun, drink Coke!

Quote Originally Posted by MPJ View Post
    Be young, have fun, drink Coke!
    I find coke to be a bit chalky and it doesn't blend very well and will separate on the pallet. I prefer to drink Secret Weapons Crushed Glass. Or Pepsi would be my number 2.

Yes, you can go for acrylic paints because they are plastic paints that are water soluble and have good adhesive qualities. They are very stable and dry quickly. Heavy paper and canvas are the suitable surfaces for them.