How has wave 2 changed your game?

Thread: How has wave 2 changed your game?

Default How has wave 2 changed your game?

I think the additional stuff changed the way I play with the Blight more than the way I play with the Allies.

As the Allies, I still find myself relying on the Hammer 65 Pounder a lot, with its flat grid attack and unbeatable range. However, I usually play Lt Brasseldun with them. Her ability is very useful in separating and flanking opponent. Atomic Robo is nice, but expensive and his bounty sucks. Otherwise, I save my rivets for the m11 Double Play (if the scenario allows); with a health of 6, it is a juggernaut (literally).

For the Blight. I really like the Trench Raiders (something that the Blight needed) and Lt Rollen's Springboard. Elsa Frost (for her precision buff works great with Konig) and R-100 are also often called into action. I usually pull out the Plague Troops early. They get a lot of attention can stop the opponent from relying on infantry. The Blight's heavy tank, Gryphon's Hammer is powerful and has a great range, but I rarely save up for it.

With the neutral units, I like Rosie the best. She is almost essential when fielding heavy tanks. I am not impressed with most of the other neutrals. Most of the time, Rivets can be better spent otherwise.

Now that wave 2 is out and a lot of people have gotten a chance to play the game with the new units, how has it changed your game?

I must agree, playing psudo battles with my friend last night we ended up using alot of new units. The allies have the vert tank, which ends up becoming a tank version of the hammer pounder. However, the blight can now hold their own very well. With less troops, sure, but they can counter more easily and bring the fight to the allies hard. Still having issues holding SOs. I can't wait to get my blitz in and try them out for real.
    ~Lieutenant Nathaniel Flint of the Landship Scorpios

I've played about 20 games or so since we received Blitzkrieg, so I don't have ALL the units yet.
    I typically play Allied and I'm finding that Terrornova is almost always one of my first heroes.
    His free Rifleman can be huge and he is pure death to Monowheels. I will send him to any objective that is outside the Trench system and where duckboards are not helping me.

I like Atomic Robo and have deployed him several times, He is almost as powerful as a tank AND he can have ablative Riflemen to absorb hits. But him in the same grid as Wolverine and watch your opponent cry

My son has found Dora Rollen to be the go to Blight character to get the early jump on Objectives and a decent foil to Parman.

I gotta say, Edwina has ruined the game for me(Blight) during the last several times my brother(Allies) and I have been able to play. Is she supposed to be that overpowered? It seems insane to me that she can apparently tunnel underground and pop up wherever she wants on the next turn, with one or two other pieces tagging along, attack my side (followed by attacks from her passengers), AND be able to run away in that same turn. Is that right? If I had an equivalent character then it wouldn't be so bad. Maybe I'm missing an obvious anti-Edwina strategy. Regardless, that one character forces me to play the game in a way that I don't find fun at all, and I end up losing anyway.

And another thing I had a question about... is there any obvious reason why my dogs can't use the shield buff? That's such an awesome gameplay mechanic that I don't even get to utilize. This one isn't a major deal, it's just something I've wondered about.

No its not right, she can only appear or tunnel away during the deployment phase, so can't attack and then bugger off. It's all on the card.

Quote Originally Posted by poison_shadow View Post
    I gotta say, Edwina has ruined the game for me(Blight) during the last several times my brother(Allies) and I have been able to play. Is she supposed to be that overpowered? It seems insane to me that she can apparently tunnel underground and pop up wherever she wants on the next turn, with one or two other pieces tagging along, attack my side (followed by attacks from her passengers), AND be able to run away in that same turn. Is that right? If I had an equivalent character then it wouldn't be so bad. Maybe I'm missing an obvious anti-Edwina strategy. Regardless, that one character forces me to play the game in a way that I don't find fun at all, and I end up losing anyway.

And another thing I had a question about... is there any obvious reason why my dogs can't use the shield buff? That's such an awesome gameplay mechanic that I don't even get to utilize. This one isn't a major deal, it's just something I've wondered about.
    Edwina is great but your brother might be playing her wrong.
    When she appears you make a deviation flip to determine her final location. She will always scatter some direction.

Plus every turn she Tunnels she is not available that turn for anything as she is deployed or removed in the deployment phase, she can't do both in 1 turn.

Turn 1 Edwina Tunnels (Removed from the board in the deployment phase)
    Turn 2 Edwina Emerges during Deployment phase, placed in a Grid plus the deviation flip. Unit can fight and be shot at normally.
    Turn 3 Edwina Tunnels (Removed from the board in the deployment phase)
    Turn 4 Edwina Emerges during Deployment phase, placed in a Grid plus the deviation flip. Unit can fight and be shot at normally.
    And so on...

So she can be pretty powerful but for every turn she tunnels you lose her points (plus anyone else with her) from the board.
    She is only a 2 wound, 2 Rivet model so a bad deviation flip into range of Panzerfausts can end her pretty quick.

The Blight Dog is an attack unit, it throws 2 dice at 1 Rivet and 1 die at 2 Rivet units. the Allied Dog is more a support piece with it's shield rule. In attack it only rolls 1 die against 1 Rivet units.

Thanks for the reply!

So you're saying Edwina shouldn't be able to move her two spaces after emerging and attacking? Because that's what has been bothering me. It's been going like this:

Turn 1: tunnels with at least one cohort. (removed from play)
    Turn 2: Emerges, deviates. Attacks, cohorts attack. Moves two spaces back toward Allied side, cohorts either stay put or move their allotted spaces back towards Allied side.
    Turn 3: Still on the way back to deployment zone, moving her 2 squares...

and eventually she gets there and the cycle continues.

She's typically his first deployment, and whatever units I deploy that first turn end up getting decimated by her or her passengers, which are usually at least one clockwork soldier or a Hammer. I've captured maybe one strategic objective since he got Edwina, which wouldn't be a problem, but those darn cards just haven't been on my side lately either. haha.

I don't know if she has the ability to attack air units or not, but the only strategy I've thought up to counter her is to primarily use air units until I can kamikaze and/or shoot her dead. That one will be tested later today.

As for the dogs, that's about what I figured. Still jealous, though.

It's a great ability, but I have not found it overpowering. She is strong against 2 and 3 armor, but fairly week against 1. Drop a couple grids of Panzerfaust in front of a Strumrad around the board. In addition to being armor 1, Panzerfaust strike well against armor 2. Also,use Frost and/or Konig to give them an extra advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by poison_shadow View Post
    Thanks for the reply!

So you're saying Edwina shouldn't be able to move her two spaces after emerging and attacking? Because that's what has been bothering me. It's been going like this:

Turn 1: tunnels with at least one cohort. (removed from play)
    Turn 2: Emerges, deviates. Attacks, cohorts attack. Moves two spaces back toward Allied side, cohorts either stay put or move their allotted spaces back towards Allied side.
    Turn 3: Still on the way back to deployment zone, moving her 2 squares...

and eventually she gets there and the cycle continues.

She's typically his first deployment, and whatever units I deploy that first turn end up getting decimated by her or her passengers, which are usually at least one clockwork soldier or a Hammer. I've captured maybe one strategic objective since he got Edwina, which wouldn't be a problem, but those darn cards just haven't been on my side lately either. haha.

I don't know if she has the ability to attack air units or not, but the only strategy I've thought up to counter her is to primarily use air units until I can kamikaze and/or shoot her dead. That one will be tested later today.

As for the dogs, that's about what I figured. Still jealous, though.
    No, she can still move and shoot normally on the turn she emerges.
    Another thing to note is she only has 1 attack and it's only 1 die against 1 rivet troops. She's worse against blight infantry then Allied Riflemen.

Yeah, and ur panzerfaust should rip her to shreds. PS: why is a hammer being deployed in enemy territory? That seems a poor use of edwina.

PS: I have noticed that there are a great many models, boxes, and settups. The greatest change I can see is in, what? Settup time and pack-away time? What is the average time to set up a game for your guys?
    ~Lieutenant Nathaniel Flint of the Landship Scorpios

Set up time has definitely increased. But, I love every minute of it!

After playing several more games with wave 2, I can definitely say that I NEED more Sturmrads. Three is not enough. Likewise, three Plague Troopers and clockwork soldiers is not enough (glad I have nine! ).