Contraversial Ultramarine Terminator GD

Thread: Contraversial Ultramarine Terminator GD

Default Contraversial Ultramarine Terminator GD

Heya,

I'm trying to find out who painted and also links with pictures, the Ultramarine Terminator that won a GD a few years back.

It was controversial as the base wasn't painted at all, but the painting of the marine was technically faultless.

Anyone able to help me find pictures of it and the artist?
    " This site is cake, the scoring is icing. Scrape it off if you don't like it, the cake is still delicious!! " - Supervike

My Website - http://www.miniature-studio.com/

Found it! Still not sure who the artist is though.

" This site is cake, the scoring is icing. Scrape it off if you don't like it, the cake is still delicious!! " - Supervike

My Website - http://www.miniature-studio.com/

*speechless* That won a GD?

When did that win? It's not bad for an early 90's PJ.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Gold in 40k single Spanish GD 2012.
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

What?! No. The place with all the world class painters? No. I... No.

I'd give just about anything I have to know why he decided to leave the base in its raw state.

Technically it looks very well done. Very precise and smooth blending. Mike McVeys mid 90's pieces still hold their own, very precise painter. Style and technical proficiency are two different things.

I think it was painted by a top painter who is taking the piss out of of GD.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

That sounds about right. I could see a top painter being like "i'll throw in one of my test minis and see what happens"

I like the plain base. The stark simplicity is actually refreshing, especially in contrast to the generic gravel + tuff of grass bases you see on so many miniatures.

Yeah, I'm going to agree with the no-base. I know it's not "complete", but it does seem to make the focus the figure.

So what base would have gone on there to make it look "better"? I wouldn't do just flock, or grassy. Diamond steel plate maybe. Something flat. And dark.

Shoot, I just described the blank base, didn't I?

Expanded steel, diamond plate, some flat grid. Scorched earth. Just pondering.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by PegaZus View Post
    Yeah, I'm going to agree with the no-base. I know it's not "complete", but it does seem to make the focus the figure.

So what base would have gone on there to make it look "better"? I wouldn't do just flock, or grassy. Diamond steel plate maybe. Something flat. And dark.

Shoot, I just described the blank base, didn't I?

Expanded steel, diamond plate, some flat grid. Scorched earth. Just pondering.
    I think the base is painted - black. This is a miniature that I think would have to be seen up-close to appreciate how good it really looks, there are a lot of exceptionally talented painters in Spain so I'm putting my initial reaction of "but it looks so 1990's" on hold. That may be exactly what the artist had in mind. Very bold, bright colours, no dirtying or wear/damage effects, not even a trace of metallics - the gun is "red period" style. It's something unusual.

what i heard the winner returned the demon (?).

it IS very well painted. but with the absence of base, well...

Try google if you want to know who painted it

I did a 2-minute google and apparently it's painted by a certain "Javier Soravilla"

Grts
    N

Fine, the base comes out though, there's a small fault on the head in white without my glasses on but I need this in BA style for futher painting of said army.
    For my portfolio see : http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Master Splinter, Private Message me for commissions or if you want to buy something. I'm still studying artistry, shipping from Belgium (Europe) to the rest of the world.

At some points the rules stated that the base would not be considered in the judging, this would fit with that ruling.
    The model looks technically excellent, even blown up big (although the silver NMM doesn't quite work for me).