3D printed Troll. Ready for download from www.Mini2Print.com

Thread: 3D printed Troll. Ready for download from www.Mini2Print.com

Default 3D printed Troll. Ready for download from www.Mini2Print.com

Hi,

I just finished a troll. It has been printed on a FDM printer. You can download the file from www.mini2print.com if you want to give it a try yourself. On the site you can make suggestions for new projects or vote on planned projects. I'm really looking forward to seeing what other people have made of the model.

Let me know what you think and send me some pictures if you print and paint a model.

Regards,

Sander Weernink
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Nice little model. Don't have a printer yet, but I'm working on that.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

Nice looking troll. Hmmmm I might try this. At the University of Leuven they have a 3D-printing and laser-cutting lab/workshop which is open to the general public and free to use, you only pay for the materials used.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Hi Meph,

Sounds like a FabLab. You're right that you don't have to own a 3D printer. I've used 3dHubs and it worked very fast and with good quality results. You can also take a look at Shapeways and I.materialise. And 3d printshops are starting up in every major town.

When you print the model don't worry to much about the rough result you'll get. I have use filler primer as a first layer and painted over that. Let me know what you'll make. I am looking forward to seeing some pictures.

The good part is that you can print as many as you like. When your not happy with the paintjob you have done you can restart with a new print or you can try different color schemes.

Hi,

The print looks good mate. What size is he?

I have a friend with an FDM printer but not sure that the method is the best for our small (in size) hobby. In theory it can do the job but he's not confident. I have a few sculpts in the works and it would be nice to have a cheapish local source to get them printed at just to see if the details I'm working in will transfer to reality.

Hi,

The size is troll size for 28mm miniatures. The base is 40mm and the height 65mm. It has been printed on a Velleman with layer thickness 0,15mm. I printed a test version on a 50mm base first with a 0,2mm layers. That made it look more like a giant. You can scale it to the size you like. If you want to make smaller more detailed minis you can try 3dhubs and see if there is anyone near with a Form1 from Formlabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mini2Print View Post
    Sounds like a FabLab.
    The nail on the head http://www.fablab-leuven.be/
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Got my first print of the troll done. Had a small failure the first time, as it came off the build tape very near the beginning. New tape, and then had no problem. Set to 150 microns for the layers as trying to go to 100 microns threw some build check errors for overhangs >45°.

I did have one small glitch with the tail. Pretty sure that's an issue with my machine and not the downloaded file. This is a picture I did for my WIP thread here and on Reaper's forums, so ignore the writing. Just wanted to show the tail.

"Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006