Blue Table Painting - Review Video - Pls Share!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Table Painting - Review Video - Pls Share!

Default Blue Table Painting - Review Video - Pls Share!

One of our members of Chaos Dwarfs Online forum got ripped off big time by a Painting Company called Blue Table Painting. They seem a pretty big outfit as they claim to have up to 30 staff and post regular videos all the time about how great they are yadda yadda yadda. They have really badly ripped this poor guy off out of thousands of dollars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_06d...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by jmcp; 10-08-2014 at 05:10 AM.

If you search Dakka Dakka, you'll find a lot of posts related to how poorly Blue Table Painting conducts business. Unfortunately, they seem to be that kind of outfit.

Good to know, shows it pays to research a company before you take the plunge

actually just spent 30 mins checking dakka dakka and all I can find is people praising them and saying how great they are.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum...st/239739.page

Somebody else on a Facebook forum I frequent got swindled, too. I pulled up at least half a dozen threads on Blue Thread Painting for him after that. I think they're all buried under a lot of detritus, you just have to dig deep enough.

If I remember right, the worst case was some chap getting conned out of 15K or so. I think he got some of it back, but he was out-of-pocket quite a bit at the end.

yeah, I read about them a few times. Before that I wouldn't want to use them for the bad paintjobs they did, after reading I wouldn't want to use them because of the scams I read about.

Also they had a very dodgy KS: they wanted to get 40k to buy a few 40k armies to paint and sell (nope, backers would get nothing for their 40k). Some suspected, that they needed the money to finish comissions they already have / for refunding those they can't do.

all in all a 'studio' to avoid at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by gohkm View Post
    If I remember right, the worst case was some chap getting conned out of 15K or so. I think he got some of it back, but he was out-of-pocket quite a bit at the end.
    15K!!!!!! Feck me, does anybody want me to paint a few minis for them?........ I give you goooooood price!
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Yeah, the mind boggles. Talk about throwing good money after bad.

Looking at the pictures even of the work that is supposedly good or ok by the clients standarts I think that most of it is atrociously bad in terms of coverage and precision. Frankly, most of the models are ruined by the paintjob and would be better off without it.
    When I was your age, Yuggoth was a planet.

GW cares not from whence the cash flows, only that it flows!

Sadly they are not the only people who've ended up with a bad reputation.
    in this case I suspect "biting off more than they could chew" is their downfall.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Well if you add up the cost my friend paid, at $17 a mini just for the infantry for level 4, you can imagine the whole army must've risen into the many thousands. Feel bad for him. He is currently seeking a partial refund, will keep the thread updated.

It was around 8000 usd he paid I think. So far they keep emailing him every day saying they are working on a response. That Sean guy also tried telling him the Magma Cannon looks exactly like the one in Tamurkhan! Such cheek!

I saw the video earlier in the week... terrible.

It must be very hard to deal with spending so much and getting so little in return.

BTP have replied to the comments section on the video and the whole thing is very public now, may as well follow the comments on that video to see the updates form the guy himself & BTP.

Wow, that really sucks. I agree with Dragonsreach, sounds like between this and other projects that took on more work then they could handle. To do well in army painting you've got to be consistent so your customers will be happy with the product (seems like that failed quite a bit here) and quick so you can make a decent rate for your time. There's a pretty big incentive to put in as little work per figure as you can. But that's why studios offer different levels of quality at different rates. If a customer pays for a higher level then you have to deliver on that.

Its something that really interests me as I aspire to potentially do that one day. I'm currently a VFX artist and the way the industry is heading I'm not sure how much longer it is a viable career. And Painting mini's is something I really love doing. I would never treat someone this way though it honks of greed & unprofessionalism

Yeah, I find the whole idea interesting although I know I'd be a terrible army painter (way to slow to ever turn a profit). Maybe if I ever master using that airbrush... anyway, if you're considering starting up you might find these two articles informative
    http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2013/...ommission.html
    http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/...s-lessons.html

I'VE ADDED WEBCAM LESSONS NOW TOO!
    And a YOUTUBE channel
    Instagram and FaceBook too

I tried to be empathetic, but I couldn't make it through the whiney video.

I understand the frustration, but I had to shut off the video.