StuartH s wip thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: StuartH s wip thread

Default StuartH s wip thread

Hi there, I've been out of painting for a looooong time and thought I'd have a go and pic up the brushes again

sorry if the pic is awful, it's taken with an iPhone and I'm struggling as much with painting the thing as taking a phot of it!

please help me build up enough confidence to keep on going and not throw the paints in the bin

He looks good, especially the face and hands.

The chain mail could benefit from some black and/or coloured washes or glazes to create some shadow and emphasize the shape. I like the way you have done the base but would suggest adding something more to the flat area on top as it currently looks unnatural and is drawing my eye there instead of to the mini.

Nice start! i like the base
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    Nice start! i like the base
    Yup and i like the dirty finger nails.

Well you ain't forgotten which end does the wet work that's for sure.
    You may be a little "out of practise" Stuart but that's not going to last long.
    Welcome back.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

So some more painting got done tonight. Usual poor photos but the kind of show how it's going. It's a struggle but a fun one.

and this one shows the colour a bit better.....well how I see them this evening

Blog Entries

Luvin' it sorta into these ol' oop's atm... n TMM, yessir, that blades gonna be big fun, good luck and Hello...

Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. Edgar Degas.

The older models are just easier to get into, they have a strong frontal pose and the edges are raised to come out of the mould so are great for edge highlighting.

the down side is that they are a little wobbly in places and some areas the sculptor just forgot about!

Yes! YES! Great palette! MOAR PLEASE
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Right I'm calling him done. I've blasted him with some varnish and going to get on with the next one.
    any suggestions about how I could've gone about him better?

Thanks Sven, are Sanjay and Cedric still lurking about here somewhere?

I like the purple worked into the rock.

Quote Originally Posted by StuartH View Post
    Thanks Sven, are Sanjay and Cedric still lurking about here somewhere?
    Not really, Sanjay occasionally pop in to sell some stuff or look at the GD pics, Cedrick, last I heard was enjoying the delights of being a father.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Glad to hear about it. I'm somewhat enjoying being a father more my two are growing up and getting interested in what their parents are about.

anyway on to the next project....

So some more work tonight and I'm actually starting to enjoy painting again. I had an email chat with Jakob Nielsen and he was sharing his experiences of just enjoying the hobby and painting for yourself and your own enjoyment.
    im not aiming for golden demon standard, just a painted miniature that 'works'

heres an updated pic and let me have some ideas for what to do with the base.

Aye! That's my main motivator for painting as well, my own enjoyment and inner peace.
    But that dwarf is looking awesome. For the base, I'd say, keep it relatively simple to keep the forcus on the mini. A puddle of blood, perhaps a corner of some ruin or rock sticking through the ground, some moss.
    Last edited by Meph; 10-22-2014 at 04:48 AM.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Looks great! I agree with Meph, keep it simple. The head is already in a way part of the base decor, so you won't need much more.

Ok so here's the little bugger done for now. Really need to get some basing materials and grass that actually looks like grass.....

Wow! You're off to a flying start I say!

I still have contact with Cedric! But no he's not an active cmon forum member anymore.