Painting Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Painting Thread

Finally finished the base set! Entire Gallery HERE.

Nice job NK! I really like Spike, Kanga, and Zazu. You're really good at those fine details! I just did Zazu and Spike this weekend and I skipped the tattoos because it's beyond my skill I believe I did the detailing on Zazu but it doesn't look nearly as clean as yours! Great work.

Great job! Can't wait to get all of mine painted

Nice work really like them all

/K
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

Decided to take a break from my Orc mauraders and worked on this fella today
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hello every body,

I've just receive my box and I am working on the gobs.

Very pleased to paint

All of the heroes except those from Beyond the Grave and the unreleased Yun.

Here are a couple of my figures so far. I've only been painting for less than a year, so be gentle The troll is still WIP, there is still a lot of highlighting to be done, but you get the idea. The orc is done. Mine on the left, War Paint on the right BTW, how do I post pics of a better size? And does it always show the attached images like this?

Had some free time this afternoon, so I decided to try to finish mr. troll

I'm waiting for bases from the CMON kickstarter to base him...so just 6 months or so til he's done...

Quote Originally Posted by gloubib View Post
    Hello every body,

I've just receive my box and I am working on the gobs.

Very pleased to paint
    waouhh i really like the way you painted their eyes, they look like gremlins ^^
    what is your technique for the eyes?

Hi Ahuacatl,

thanks for your comment, I have made a step by step to show you the easiest way to do the grims eyes

1- I paint all the eyes in black
    2- I put some white in the two corners
    3- I round the eyes and adjust their size (they should be at the same seize and centered)
    4- I put two white points at the same positions on the eyes and use blood red on the corners

it was done in five minutes. I hope it will help you on your minis.

I will try to do colored eyes on heroes soon.

Best regards

excellent, thank you. don't hesitate to post your step by step for the colored eyes

These are the first things I have ever painted. Took me forever.

Name:  20150104_163928.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  1.79 MB
    Name:  20141213_174355.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  1.10 MB

Oh God, seeing the pictures so large shows me how bad I am at painting. It also doesn't help that my white I think was old(bad) since it was chunking.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigoras View Post
    Oh God, seeing the pictures so large shows me how bad I am at painting. It also doesn't help that my white I think was old(bad) since it was chunking.
    It's a good start for a first time. I would say that the big thing to do would be to water down your paints, as some of it does look a bit 'chunky'. Also, you can get a look of depth by starting darker and layering lighter colors on top for raised surfaces, such as noses, foreheads, cheekbones, chins, shoulders, muscles, and folds of clothing. Keep it up and you'll get the hang of it!

Thanks, that's great advice. I did prime with black so it does take a few layers of a lighter color to get that color to show. I'll try watering down the paints for the next figures and then if that works out I'll strip these 5 and start them over.

Also, keep in mind that models that are painted nicely can still look bad when blown up that big. So don't get discouraged.

what's the better approach for depth?

1. Layers of dark to light
    2. Light layer with a dark wash

Or do these do different things?

Sometimes, it depends on the model. For smaller models with less detail, I'll use more washes. I didn't like the idea of using washes much for Chibi figures with larger heads and more detail like Super Dungeon Explore and Arcadia Quest. The main reason was that the colors were more vibrant and I really didn't like the idea of dirtying that up with washes. As a result, I went with very minimal washes to certain parts of the mini (with generous brushing off of any excess) and went to more of a dark with lighter highlights and have been very happy with that. I really don't think the grungy looks works well with the Chibi games.

You can use colored washes which give the illusion of layering and highlights so it is not just muddylooking. Of all the techniques... Basecoat, wash, highlight is the easiest way for someone to get a seemingly advanced paintjob with the least amount of skill.