A very great rarity from me! - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: A very great rarity from me!

Oh yes, I'm so happy with her. You've done a fantastic job on her and can't wait to see her in the flesh so to speak

I had intended to do some work on this little Tableux yesterday (and today), but a little something got in the way and took a little longer than expected.

Fran and I are now mortgage free, having just sorted out and paid off the balance.
    So it looks more and more possible that I may be able to take a retirement option next year.

AND Fran just treated me to two each of size 00, 0, and 1 Winsor & Newton Series 7's (plus some watercolour stuff) from KenBromley's art shop. (I only went in to get a replacement Kneadabe eraser as well!).
    So unless work demands that I attend this coming weekend....(yeah like I'm going to do that!) I'll be doing the tweaks I have seen that it needs.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Blog Entries

Looking good DR! I just picked up some new brushes too.

Big congrats on paying off the mortgage! We just got one, well a couple of years ago anyways. Retirement sounds like a dream come true! My mother in-law recently retired and is having a lot of trouble adjusting to it. I don't think you will have that problem. Maybe I should try and get her to start painting minis.

Looking great DR, and I have to say I really like the wood effect you've created, nice attention to detail. Also congrats on paying off the mortgage!

Congrats DR! Mighty nice of Fran, you should make her dinner
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

But the drawback to retirement is model painting which is more friggin work oh well time for a career change I hear a few companies are hiring mini painters go get em!!!

DR, as usual I am late to the party. A pleasure watching you at work. Love the tiny goblin pirate, nice blends on such a small piece. Your base is wonderful, especially like the rust stains left from the nails. Nice touch!

Regarding a wet pallet, I had the advantage of finding this website before becoming a serious painter, so I had the benefit of wonderful advice before investing too deeply in poor or less than optimal habits. So I had a wet pallet from the beginning. A few quick notes. If you are using a plastic container of some type, use the lid as the pallet so you don't have to reach inside to wet your brush. The deep body of the container becomes the lid then. Also, I've steadily been getting larger containers. I've found that, since the paints last so long-sometimes longer than a week-I like to put down a ton of different colors at once. Therefore, it's been nice having a larger than normal pallet. I think I am currently working with a massive 18" by 12 inches. I also find that reusable paper towels work best.

My work station very often looks the same as yours. In fact, I have so many paints that I cannot lay them out on a table. I keep them in a large box and just dig through it to find the needed paints at the start of each session. This normally isn't as much as a pain as you'd think, except when I paint skin and use about 18 different colors.

A pleasure to follow you.
    Last edited by BloodFather of Kharnath; 02-11-2015 at 10:31 PM.
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Finally putting this baby back on Track for Crystella.

So Here are the Closing stages of the Goblin.
    All I had left to do was the Pistol, so that was a simple (?) case of following my usual recipe of NMM Steel.
    VMC Intermediate Blue with a tiny and I mean tiny wash of Black before reinforcing the blue.
    Then Highlights by adding tiny amounts of white until I was at a Point I was happy that I had the highlights right.
    That included an edge highlight on the Muzzle.
    Then the Brass work, VMC Midstone highlighted with VMC Ivory, and edge toned with VMC Blue-Green.
    Gently Shadowed with a Glaze of VMC Burnt Umber.
    The woodwork of the pistol was VMC German Camoflage Brown Mid, Darkened in places with Burnt Umber and with touches of Ivory to create Highlights.

So I spent a few minutes looking at him and then realised, the little buggers finished!
    Whoo Hoo onto the Girl.

The Completed Gobbo!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    , and proud of it.

Default Now the Floosy!

Having secured the Goblin in a very safe spot (Yes I didn't forget where I put him, Thank You) it was time to start on the Honey in this Honey Trap Tableaux.
    So first of she fell off the Bl**dy matchstick.
    Several swearwords and cautious superglue and she was back ready to go.
    Now my standard Skintone runs from VMC Brown Sand through Ivory with touches of Violet Red to increase shadow definition.
    NOW I wanted to be a little more careful as Being female and "Piratical" she'd have a more seasoned skintone.
    First Off the eyes as always I use VMC Ivory rather than white as White can make the eyes too Stark.
    Pupils were VMC Mid Olive.
    So a mix of Brown Sand with a small proportion of VMC Beige Red was the base coat of the skin, next stage was the Brown Sand.
    The Brown Sand/Violet Red was next but that only went on the shadowed side of her face.
    The Light directed side (Righthand side facing the viewer) was strengthened with VMC Light Brown.
    Highlights were worked using Ivory and Pale Flesh. (And somewhere in this process I managed to blur the Shadow side eye and didn't notice. (!)

Now as you can see there is a fair amount of Skin showing but it all got the same treatment and colours so that there was a continuous consistency throughout the figure.
    When it came to the Decolletage I worked thin glazes of VMC Light Brown into the valley being careful not to overdo it.

The same treatment had to be applied to the thighs as this Floozy is Flashing a bit of skin there.
    I didn't want it to be too 'Cartoonish' so it had carefully glazed again with the Light Brown.

Now the hands needed an emphasis line around them which was Light Brown and a touch of Violet Red, segregating the fingers and around the wrist at the shirt cuff.
    Happy that I'm at a "comfortable point" with the flesh it was onto the hair.........And this is where I forgot to take a few pictures until it was too late!

The hair is a Starting point of VMC English Uniform (keeping a tonal balance with the Wood of the hull) with a striping wash of Burnt Umber applied.
    Then Re-did the English Uniform following the Hairlines with the Raphael 8404 and holding my breath.
    Now in order to get the highlights right I added a touch of VMC GoldBrown to the English Uniform and thought about the placement. Top of the Head and a proportion of the ends of her hair. Now in order to get that Silky Sheen beloved of Hair adverts it was a case of adding Ivory to the mix and reducing the highlight areas with careful touches. So I did that a few times until I was happy with the result and then realized I'd been too preoccupied to Photograph her. (Grumbles!)

and that was the point I quit for that particular day.
    , and proud of it.

I really should take notes ... step by step guide, always nice!

So this is where things are chugging along nicely and I have to start on her Shirt.
    And this is when I noticed the Blurred EYE.

Unlike the Goblin I wanted her to look more "appealing" and not so grungy, so I started off with a thin coat of VMC OffWhite.
    Three dilute coats to get the smooth look. First shadows were Light Grey again in thin washes applied to the creases and curve definitions.
    And the photo's don't show it very well.

So a second highlight run of Offwhite still wasn't enough to get proper definition so the Shadows needed to get an increase.
    (Paging VMC DECK TAN!)
    This is a soft Beige Grey and careful application was done to the deeper shadows and eased out with water. Please note that this is not proper Wetblending or a Two Brush technique, more an adoption of what I do with Watercolours.

And it's still not showing in the pictures.
    Re-highlighted with off white and white mixed then Pure white (Vallejo Airbrush White.)

Finally a gentle coat of VMC White Glaze.

Now I moved on to the Corset.
    I wanted to keep the thematic colour harmony so rather than go for a Red as I had initially intended, I started off with a VMC Olive.
    This I highlighted with Golden Olive and shadowed with the Dark Olive.
    The creases in between the panels didn't take much of a definition with these colours so I opted to add a touch of VAC Black Green to the Dark Olive and using the Raphael again eased in those lines.

Now in order to highlight properly (I though) I added a touch od Ice Yellow to make spot Highlights, Oh Crap! did that not look right.
    Thankfully I'd only touched one panel so I was able to rescue the effort by adding Green Sky to the Golden Olive and then when dry glazing over with transparent Green.

In this last picture you can just see the Shadows on the shirt.
    , and proud of it.

AND THIS IS WHERE I HAD A Minor DISASTER.

The camera battery died and I put a fresh one in....Dead!
    Weird, I thought I charged that.
    Get's the other one (I have three) also Flat...Bugger!
    Puts the one I thought I'd charged on Charge.......Nothing, Nada, Zip, Bupkuss!, No Lights no reaction.
    OK Swaps over to Second Battery on charge, that too dead.
    Puts the one I've just taken out on charge TADA that one works.... BUT that's three hours painting I can't take any pictures of.

So I'm still painting but it's the stockings I'm working on, again I stuck to the harmonisation of colours and used a VMC Mid Camouflage brown with VMC Interior Green Stripes. Shadows on this were worked using Burnt Umber into the Thigh Creases and Highlights just touches of Brown Sand added to the Base colour.
    The green stripes were a mix of the Interior green and Olive.
    I edge lined the green stripes with Black Green just for a bit of emphasis.
    Then it was onto the Leatherwork.
    Straps and Pouch were Flat Earth again shadowed with Burnt Umber and with Brown Sand as highlights.
    The boots were Flat Earth on the Thigh cuffs, then VGC Cobra Brown for the leg section.
    The Cuffs were shadowed with Mixed in Burnt Umber, but the Leg section I mixed VMC Chocolate Brown and worked the shadows downward and into the folds adding touched of the Chocolate Brown as each level got closed to the cross of the legs.
    As a Final Shadow where her legs cross I added VMC German Camo Black Brown to give greater depth and separation.
    Then I moved onto the Metals around the figure.
    The Boot buckles are VMC Blue Grey Toned with minute touch of Intermediate Blue and Highlighted with White.
    The Sword is the usual STeel NMM Intermediate Blue with Glazes of Field Blue and Mid Blue and Highlight glazes of white added to the Intermediate Blue.
    Brass is again the Midstone I always use, highlighted by adding Ivory.
    PICTURES AT LAST!

Now this was the point I stopped for the night.

Next Time I picked up the figures I looked at the boots and realised they were very shiny due to the Cobra Brown.
    So I carefully glazed the boots with VMC Black Glaze which had the effect of Really enriching the Leather effect.

Now this is just the point where it's minor touchups..Fixing the eye, giving the forehead a Gentle wipe with White Glaze.
    Enhancing the Threads on the cuff........And I realised she was done. OH WOW.

So it was time for the Assembly.
    The Gobbo got glued in position first after checking the fit to make sure his feet plugs didn't show. Needed an addition touch of dark brown to hide them a bit more, then he was in place.
    I carefully eased the girl off the matchstick and then removed all superglue residue off her rear, brought a touch of Brown Sand to provide a "cover" than glued her on in place.
    and that was the initial completion shots I shared a couple of weeks ago.

, and proud of it.

Now since I put those initial completed pictures up, I've done a little bit of tweaking.
    The Decolletage has been strengthened very slightly, The shadows on the wood have been enhanced and additional green toning has been added to the hull area close to her boots.
    I spotted a Crab sculpted on the base less than 2 MM in size so that got picked out in Orange tones.
    The Ground got a gentle touch of additional shadows and Green tones, very sparing and then additional Highlights.
    So now the whole assemblage looks like this.

So Hopefully Crystella likes the finished version.
    , and proud of it.

Very nice DR enjoyed reading the SBS, great gift !
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

I am very fond of her boots, highly realistic!

Nicely done. The Lady Inquisitor wants to know if those boots come in normal size o_O
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

good work .nice to see the mini's progress and the finished result looks great. particularly like the goblin

This really was a treat...I love the goblin and the fact it's a two sided miniature a whole panoramicjoy...really lovely....I guess this is going to lead to more sbs project..it was great seeing in the mind of the "master of the flying guillotine" wow remember that one mikie with the one armed boxer vs the blind master with that thing he threw at people's heads and when it lands he tugs on the chain and the bladed tighten and decapitate some poor bastard....you gotta remember this..

Nice work and the final set of pics looks pro, well lit and in focus.

Nice work DR. This is a great piece.
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland