A very great rarity from me! - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A very great rarity from me!

Nice ones!

Have Thranduil prepped! Only took one replacement to get a fine cast this time around...

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    Way to go oooo mikie babe's great great stuff if there's anybody I was waiting to enjoy a w I p from its papa DR ..guys get on this this is one of the most experienced painters on the site...and although he's only 45 he has a ton of years painting,modelling,and experimenting under his belt...this I'm all about mike yaaaayyyyy...
    45 Ha Ha.........Try 59 next Monday!

Edit:
    Ok so getting the pictures loaded.
    Firstly Let me apologise for the Terrible quality. I'm only able to work at an extremely shallow depth of field with the Macro lens.
    My Main lens just doesn't want to know on this...can't figure out why.

So on to the Meat of the matter, this is the Goblin character that is hiding in the rear of the Hull remains, I primed him Halfords Car Primer grey and then hit him with a touch of Tamiya Fine White (a la "Zenithal" style *) but from the figures right hand side, the pistol side.
    Both the other pieces had been primed with the white going in the opposite direction, but as this one is Au Reverse to the Girl he needed to match the lighting.

Painting, I picked out the eyes in Yellow deliberately to give the contrast.
    The Face, Hands, Belly and Feet were all worked with VMC Medium Olive as the base.
    Initial Shadows were smoothed in with VMC Olive, then adding a tiny touch of V Airbrush Colour BLACK GREEN to the Olive I worked the shadow tones down and around the Face and all the areas which would be shadowed. Rinse and repeat a couple of times to build up the Depth.
    I have this method of working "From the Skin Outward" which I'm more confident with and allows me to have the feeling of control so I then opted to
    do the Shirt.
    This was an Initial coat of VMC Beige as I don't want the Goblin to look all clean and tidy but kinda grubby and sweat stained. (More to come on that later. To the Beige I added a touch of VMC English Uniform in order to make the shadow tones. Going back to the highlights I redefined the upper areas with Beige, took three coats as the dilution seemed to go weird. Then I added tiny amounts of VMC Ivory and commenced Highlighting.
    There are at least 5 levels of highlights on the shirt because of the light placement.

Once I was "happy" that the shirt was at a Good level, I went for the Waistcoat. Werner Klocke just puts too much detail in sometimes!
    I wanted a variation from the red waistcoat I've seen this done up in and thought about it for a while, then opted to use VMC Field Grey a soft Blue Grey which has a "faded look" and would fit in with the concept of an old looted bit of clothing.
    This got some VMC Middle Grey added to it as the first highlight and second highlight stages with a final touch of Ivory as the edge points.

I noticed the hole in the Shirt about this time and spotted that in with middle olive and once dry a drop of diluted Black Green.

The rope across the chest was Plain English Uniform, Shadowed First with VMC Burnt Umber, then the indents picked out with V Airbrush Camo Black Brown. (Bit of an aside here. I have found that the Jackson's art 2/0 spotter is a brilliant brush for this kind of detailing as it has a fine enough point and doesn't hold too much paint...it is much smaller than the W&N Miniature series and about 10% of the price!!!!)
    This is about when I realised that I'd been so busy painting I'd not taken any photos..........Buggar!

So here's the shots at this point.
    FRONT

Yes that is a matchstick he's glued to, which in turn is inserted into a Demi-John Cork.

BACK

So having had a 'wee sweary' over the lack of photos, it was on to some additional work on the face.

The cheeks looked 'off' and too plain once the shirt was done, so I've opted to re-highlight with some dilute touches of VMC Khaki Green, which looks yellow(-er) on the green skin, and on where the light would be more evident the appropriate points got that as well.

And to Finalise the face the Nose, Eyelids, and Bottom Lip got touches of VMC Violet-Red, which is a great colour to add over Green as it darkens nicely.

WHERE I'M AT NOW.

So all being well I'm going to be continuing this during this week.

(* "Zenithal" priming.....Ok this term is an anathema to me. The Zenith is the highest point, Zenithal therefore means vertical.
    So what people really mean is that when they prime Black (or Grey) then hit the figure with a touch of white from 45 degrees they are using Directed Lighting Priming!...........RANT OVER!)
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 12-30-2014 at 12:50 PM.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

This is fabulous and finally glad I can see a DR w I p ..I'm astutely paying attn.and in case I forget happy 4th birthday...)

(could have sworn I replied to this...) Love the step-by-steps! Perfect for us learners, thanks DR!

I got a bit more done on the Goblin today, even finding a very surprising bit of Moulding Flash, first time ever on a Freebooter mini.

So this is where it's at right now.
    I couldn't do any more today as :-
    1 I'm getting tired.
    2 my arthritis is playing up affecting my grip.

AND Yes I remembered to take photo's (this one's via the iPad) so I'll post them up, with a description Next Year...Heh
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    , and proud of it.

I hear there is a cure for arthritis it's a glass full of scotch....it works I use it...lmao anyway justify it by saying it's new years secondly this w I p is great DR and was wondering when somebody was going to get a freebooter with a tiny wee bit flashline...funny thing is your the one who got it and you'll probably never see it again..it's like a 3 headed calf..lol anyways its looking very gipper aka nicely painted thus far.

I hear there is a cure for arthritis it's a glass full of scotch..
    It'll be IRISH tonight, or Ameretto, or Port or Wine, but it will be an Indian Curry.
    Just ordered it.
    I'm thinking on having to try to source some Chilli Oil Massage cream

It works I use it...lmao anyway justify it by saying it's new years secondly this w I p is great DR and was wondering when somebody was going to get a freebooter with a tiny wee bit flashline...funny thing is your the one who got it and you'll probably never see it again..it's like a 3 headed calf..lol anyways its looking very gipper aka nicely painted thus far.
    Quite possible. I've done a few Freebooter figures over the years and this is only the second one with a flaw.

Having fun with this as well.
    , and proud of it.

The Hull is looking fantastic, Love the freebooter too. Super green! I think he would enjoy a glug of grog too :P

Holy crap. I can't believe the level of detail and blending you are getting into the tiny little f**ker!!!! I can only pray I can still hold a brush let alone see something that small when I attain your level of life experience. You need to make a habit of WIPS and gallery posting sir
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

I'll feel very gifted when this little set comes home. The green mottled effected on his skin sets him off just right. Thank you for doing such a wonderful job and for allowing others to see how you do it.

Well to be honest the iPad picture isn't doing the little git justice...and he is little just under 20mm.

Hopefully this WIP won't be the last. I've a special piece planned for 2015.
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 12-31-2014 at 06:12 PM.
    , and proud of it.

Absolutely amazing wip, DR... I'm having trouble speaking since my jaw won't pop back into place after hitting the floor over the detail. Plus, it's really nice seeing the steps you're taking to achieve different details. Captively anticipating further posts.

Catching up with Yesterday's Painting and the amount of Pictures I remembered to take.
    (Oh and I realised what was wrong with the Aperture setting.......I'd left the Camera on Program Mode instead of Aperture .)
    Onward to the starting point of Yesterdays Slapping of paint.
    I did a very quick Google Images for Pirate Trousers and saw a pair of Black and White striped britches I though would work, so TADA.. I digs out the VMC Sliver Grey as the Base coat.
    Then went "Fiddle-de-dee" as I looked at sculpt of the trousers.....They're woman's pantaloons! OKAY life just went easier Fancy Laced Bloomers it is!
    Now as I want the Goblin to look a bit "Grody" in comparison to the Temptress I deliberately wanted to start with a pale gray and the VMC Silver Grey just hits the mark.
    Two Coats later.

As this geezers wearing bloomers I reckon he's not going to be too much into decorum/ettiquette so there's a couple of touches/glazes of VMC German Orange Brown around the "Sweaty Areas". I hit up the highlights again with the VMC Sliver Grey and held it at that, for the moment.
    One of my favorite paints for many uses is VMC Black Glaze this is a soft grey which when diluted and applied tones down without overpowering the underlying colour, so the Gobbo got worked over with it.
    Trousers, Shirt and Waistcoat got touches, not overall as I want the tonality to look "grubby and sweat stained" not just out of a Tar Pit.

Having "Grimed" up his Drawers I picked up highlights once again with VMC Silver Grey and then touches of VMC Ivory mixed in (Memo to Self..Get some more Ivory)
    I looked at the Belt and went "Thanks Werner!" before using VGC Cobra Brown (+ Matt Medium) to put the main tone in then put the shadows in with VMC Chocolate Brown mixed and then pure Chocolate Brown before finalising the depth with some scarily thin lines of VAC German Camo Black Brown.

About here is where I had my What The ... moment as I spotted the Flashing on the Hat. (Picked out in Red for you)

How in blazes did I miss that during preparation? HOW?

Since I was grumbling to myself and had brown paint on the pallete I opted to do the pouches on the back. VMC Beige Brown was the base coat, took three goes to get coverage right. (?) Chocolate Brown mixed in for First Shadow, Pure Chocolate for Second and German Camo Black Brown as Darklining. Final Highlights were Beige Brown with successive touches of Ivory.

The second smaller pouch I opted to Use VMC Flat Brown.....
    (Hint: Shake this like nothing you've ever shaken before, do a Tom Cruise "Cocktail" on it if you have to as it does tend to separate very easily.)
    This is a lovely Reddish Brown and Tones nicely with Ivory for highlights and German Camo Black Brown for shadows and Darklining.
    NOW this is where I had to grit my teeth and trim out the Flashing......Thankfully the metal peeled upright with gentle persuasion from the tweezers and a sharp X-Acto blade pared it away without damage.

It is said that Hat's make the Man! So I wanted this Hat to have a certain statement about it. I didn't want Gold trim so I opted to use VMC Field Grey running arount the trim very carefully so that it didn't catch on any other close part of the figure. Careful wash over of Black Glaze and re-highlight.
    For highlight colouring I opted to mix in VAirbrush Barley Grey as First hit, then more Barley and then finally Ivory.
    And The work just didn't show up on the photo's!!!!

Ah Well, so in keeping with the Faded and grubby look to the Goblin I didn't want to have a Black Hat, so VMC Black Grey was the base coat, Shadows were eased in with Airbrush Black and my 2/0 Raphael (Beautiful brush). Then In order to get the Faded, Grubby and Well Worn look the highlight colour is VMC English Uniform mixed into the Black Grey.
    Each Highlight step is washed over with Black Gaze merging into the shadow areas I lost count of how many highlight mix/applies I did but there were quite a few. When I stopped and took some photo's I looked at the Spilt in the Hat and realised that I hadn't highlighted that enough, so that got touched with Pure English Uniform.

As I was beginning to feel the effects of prolonged painting in my Thumb where the Arthritis is I opted to do the bits of jewellery on the figure before calling it a day.
    Belt Buckle and Hat ring (Look carefully) are picked out with VMC Middlestone Shadow toned with Chocolate Brown Highlighted with Middle stone and Ivory mixed with Highlight Flares of Ivory (This is the almost receipe I use for NMM brass).
    The Earring and finger rings were initially coloured in with Cobra Brown, Darkened with Chocolate Brown then Highlighted with VMC Golden Brown, then further highlighted with Golden Brown/Ivory.
    All the Jewellery was then carefully darklined with Airbrush German Camo Black Brown.

And just to show exactly how small he is:
    Compared to my Thumbnail.

And against a Ruler.

Yeah don't try shooting a Camera One Handed when its a Nikon D300 and you're tired. You will knock something off the table.

My next steps will be completing the Pistol, so it will be lots of wood grain and NMM Steel and Brass, as well as the Gem stone in the Finger ring. If you can see where that is?
    , and proud of it.

Holy shioli DR that piece is super tiny and yet the blending is as smooth as a 90-120 mm model. My hats off to you buddy..like really off !!! On aside note question my fiance loves the UK and loves britain.she lived there while she was doing an exchange as a music student.she's a flutist and loves tea ,karl pilkington etc...the tea conassur and would like me to ask what your fav tea is she loves PA tips any other ideas that we can get?

On aside note question my fiance loves the UK and loves britain.she lived there while she was doing an exchange as a music student.she's a flutist and loves tea ,karl pilkington etc...the tea conassur and would like me to ask what your fav tea is she loves PA tips any other ideas that we can get?
    I've betrayed my English Heritage I'm afraid, as I only drink Rooibos with Vanilla now.(Tetley's Redbush and Vanilla).
    I used to drink Darjeeling, but kinda lost the taste for it.
    If I've been sat in my local Coffee Shop (*) for a long while I'll swap to Peppermint tea to reduce Caffine Shakes.
    I'm not one who likes strong tea, so PG tips, Ringtons, are off the menu......as for Yorkshire Tea, well paint stripper come to mind.

Now Coffee I do like black and flavourful, drinking either Americano, Espresso or Ristretto .

(* I "haunt" a local coffee shop in Bolton Rhode Island Coffee most weekends and Monday's often spending several hours sketching or doing watercolours.)
    , and proud of it.

he yes Americano and espresso my taste has matched yours. Very good references I may try the listed above.and thanks for wonderful explanations on the goblins w I p!! Welldone sir.

Nice! thanks for sharing, I got to admit tho my table is the total opposite then yours

Quote Originally Posted by Teronus View Post
    I got to admit tho my table is the total opposite then yours
    Sorry not getting this, do you mean taste wise or are you saying you're left handed?
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Sorry not getting this, do you mean taste wise or are you saying you're left handed?
    I have difficulties sometimes to express what i mean, I will try to be comprehensible this time, must be the language barrier (first language is french).

I meant that my table is opposite in the sense that i obsessively don't leave anything lying on it that I don't have immediate need of. Oh and yes I am lefty.

Here, another kind of madness, a peak on my table right now.

@dennis, here you can take a nap, that is how I feel mostly when sitting there.

Last edited by Teronus; 01-02-2015 at 05:28 PM.

Ah Teronus I understand.
    My General untidyness springs from an enforced tidiness as a child, not allowed to leave anything out, even to the point of books back on book shelf if I just had to go to the toilet.
    , and proud of it.