What is the best combo you have seen used so far?

Thread: What is the best combo you have seen used so far?

Default What is the best combo you have seen used so far?

Hey everyone,

I know we are all still playing, and modifying our teams and still getting a feel for the game. I myself am only 3 missions in, but I want to know what are some of the combos you have experienced, whether dealing them or receiving them.

Here is mine.

For me at this moment, I do not have much, but I have a hitch and with a pigsy mule.

Pigsy Holding Twinbolt (4 rng only crits save against hits) and hitch using it to help spam across board some nasty damage for mid game. He also has Dasboots, to help with a little mobility.

Hitch has the boost that take a wound and add 2 dice to bow attack ( sorry I do not remember card). Then I also have the pendant that heals all my allies if I recieve a wound, and Genensis Glass ( allowing at the start of my turn for hitch to heal a wound) so throwing 5 dice that only crits save on ^.^ and I heal my guild 1 wound every turn I use this combo.

I also have a reroll wring on hitch, but it is the level 1 one that only allows 1 reroll, could be better at this point, but I had to buff up spike too

Whats yours???

I can one hit kill anything with nibbles in my current game (we're on the final quest).

Off the top of my head I think Nibbles has +2 dice boost, +3 dice boost, 4 (or 5) attack sword, and staff of clarity (refresh all cards at the cost of one wound). Unless people kill him (his sword has 2 rerolls and 2 defense I think), he'll kill anything and heal to full.

Someone in my group has 18 defense... it's mostly just the item that doubles your defense dice (I think that needs nerfed personally because it + ammy or Spike's power is too powerful).

Another person just has generic +defense + ammy of retribution on Diva(another item I believe needs changed) and he'll kill any monster by just moving past it.

I'm thinking about ammy of retribution only doing wounds on crits. I'm not sure what to do about the double defense item... maybe just allow it and it won't be as bad with ammy of retribution being nerfed.
    Last edited by rrrrupp; 11-20-2014 at 04:36 PM.

I had Hobsbawm with astral strike partnered with Spike with die booten and armor plus rerolls. My third character (Elysia) had the Cloak of Displacement. At the start of my turn I would decide if I wanted Spike to stay where he was or switch places with Elysia. Then I would activate Hobsbawm, move Spike two spaces, use Hobsbawm to attack whatever was now next to Spike, then take a turn with either Spike or Elysia. It doesn't work every turn but it will allow you to grab a quest token after killing a monster in that space.

you can use cloak of displacement even if you're not activating the character equipping it??

Quote Originally Posted by Kangataz View Post
    you can use cloak of displacement even if you're not activating the character equipping it??
    Good catch... no you cannot. You must activate the hero to use the cloak so what Vile is doing is against the rules Sorry Vile.

No, the Cloak of Displacement says "At the start of you turn..." not "When you activate this Hero...".

Based on the ruling for the Genesis Glass, the cloak should work whether or not you activate the Hero that has it equipped.

Quote Originally Posted by VileMcNasty View Post
    No, the Cloak of Displacement says "At the start of you turn..." not "When you activate this Hero...".

Based on the ruling for the Genesis Glass, the cloak should work whether or not you activate the Hero that has it equipped.
    Ah, I didn't have the card in front of me. Yeah, if it says start of your turn then you're probably right.

Small side point to make sure you're playing it correctly (you might be)... you can't pick up quest tokens from the movement from die booten. You only pick up tokens when the hero is activated. If you're picking up the quest tokens with your free activation from hobs ability though it's fair game I love hobs.

I just finished a campaign in which I gave my Lord Fang the Amulet of Retribution and the Moon shield. He also had one piece of armor and a sword, so he ended up with ARM 20, and the amulet meant that he just walked around letting monsters kill themselves left and right.

At the end, I rested and gave him Wind Blast instead of the sword, so that I could push the enemy Lord Fang only my space, then walk in and out of it until LF killed himself. It almost worked, except that he ended up with one hitpoint left, and Nibbles ended up killing enemy Fang.

After the game, we threw out the Amulet of Retribution. It will never play with us again. That one was just too much.

yeah I'm currently rocking a campaign with Wisp with a cloak of displacement, seth with any spell and spike with the amulet of retribution. Needless to say it's pretty much easy mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigoras View Post
    yeah I'm currently rocking a campaign with Wisp with a cloak of displacement, seth with any spell and spike with the amulet of retribution. Needless to say it's pretty much easy mode.
    Ooh- that's three tier 1 characters with the gear that makes them even better.

It's partly your enemies fault for not dazing you. Even if some of the characters that can daze weren't in the game, there are many weapons that can daze close enemies. It's not like there's 0 counter to what you did. That said... the ammy is too powerful imo... we're going to try next campaign to only let it work on crit defense rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by rrrrupp View Post
    It's partly your enemies fault for not dazing you. Even if some of the characters that can daze weren't in the game, there are many weapons that can daze close enemies. It's not like there's 0 counter to what you did. That said... the ammy is too powerful imo... we're going to try next campaign to only let it work on crit defense rolls.
    It was worse than that- we had the top heroes to counter him in the game (Chooloo and Seth- I had Heartless, but one of my opponents had Monkey Queen and could copy abilities). in addition, one of my opponents had the firey sword that disallows defense rolls if you get a crit.

None of them could do enough to him to make it worth while, because I wasn't about charging in after the few things that could hurt him, and my character was clearly more mobile than any of the other guild's characters (who still had to kill monsters by attacking them).

I was also quickly becoming the richest character around- since each step I took was a potential monster death (rather than having to spend attack actions on killing monsters).

I agree that he's not completely invulnerable- he in fact took damage from one of Seth's spells- but there was no way he was going down.

that was broken from the start. [Trigoras' post]

We had a player with Wisp, a quest cloak (rogue's cloak?) that does a damage every time you step into an adjacent square with some boots. not big damage but a cool combo every turn.

Smiley with the spell that does 5 AoE (i just can't remember the name) with Amulet of Rawr gave me 7 dice and 9 rerolls last night and broke the game. After player one walked wisp and his cloak around the last room a couple times Smiley teleported in and blew up the room. Fang had a few points left.

If I wanted to dream up broken it would probably be Lydia with a melee weapon, some bracers and a celery stick. Yeah I know. Those are early items and it would peter out but a good mid game breaker.
    Last edited by Kjelstad; 12-21-2014 at 03:47 PM. Reason: i didn't quote...

I had to deal with the misfortune of a stupid-campaign-ending combo from a friend in the From the Beyond the Grave Expansion:

Reward card - Soulstone
    If this Hero would be killed when his Hero card is unexhausted, he may exhaust it to stay alive, with 2 Wounds less than his total Life.

Level 2 - Celerity Wand
    This Hero may take 1 Wound to unexhaust all of his cards.

Your hero is invincible and NEVER has to rest. Basically, equip these two items to ANY character with 4 HP or more. Then whenever you die, you exhaust your hero to get back up to 2 wounds. Then pay 1 life to unexhaust all your equipment (and hero card to turn Celerity Wand back on). Since there are no rules that say you can't use Bling whenever you are 100% unkillable. You can even do it on other player's turns when they attack you. It really sucks and we just handed him the campaign. Basically if you can get both of these the game is over by the third mission.

If anyone can find a rule to dispute this, I would be very very very happy. Until then, I'm not playing Beyond the Grave

Unless stated otherwise, a Hero needs to be active to use his permanent abilities. While the Soulstone is certainly usable out of turn to keep you alive, you can only take a wound to activate the Celerity Stick when you activate that Hero. So while the Soulstone+Celerity Stick is certainly a powerful combo, the hero can still be killed if two enemies gang up on him in a row, before he gets a chance to unexhaust his Hero card.

I just finished a Beyond the Grave campaign over the weekend.
    Hulking Serum + Book of the Dead + Emberstrike worked very well, especially after my guild had died a couple of times. Rolling 15+ attack dice was amazing. The Book and Serum also worked well with Greensleeves and a Hunter's Crossbow.