The Great Cool Mini Collaboration

Thread: The Great Cool Mini Collaboration

Default The Great Cool Mini Collaboration

I've been wanting to do a big collaboration project with some of you fellas for a long time now. Everyone is welcome to provide input and join in if interested. We can always vote on ideas. I was thinking that we could treat it as a sort of paint-a-long where each artist displays there progress. In the end we put the work together in great diorama or another creative idea. A volunteer could do the base work, or it could even be done in sections as well.

Think along the lines of Matt Cexwish's Wizard diorama. He collaborated with another artist and represented all of the 8 schools of Magic for the Empire, each standing in a pie shaped section of a giant rock.

I guess I don't have much else to add until I see if any of you are interested in this. By all means, throw your hat in and/or any suggestions and we will kick this off!!! Please, serious artists only
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Oooh. I hadn't seen that diorama, it's awesome!

I was just gonna be like "I'm interested but I don't have any cool ideas," which is probably still true, but how about some brainstorming?

-It's on the line between cliche and classic, but a good old-fashioned RPG adventuring party/mercenary company with a mix of classes and races could be fun? Models would be ridiculously easy to find, with lots of variety to choose from, and the number of figures could be easily tailored to however many people show interest. Plus, there could be a tavern. Or mangled enemies. Or both!

-Actually, you could probably make a bangin' mercenary party out of just human minis. In a scifi or fantasy setting. Scifi bounty-hunter diorama could be neat. Again, plentiful miniature options there.

-Something elemental? Could be the tradish fire-water-earth-wind or any further breakdowns. Or...major alchemical elements + associations?

-Mythological sets, like the Four Horsemen (imagine doing a modern set straight out of Good Omens! Or with horses. Horses are still cool, and there are loads of nifty mounted minis to pick from), or bits of the Norse or Greek/Roman or Mesopotamian pantheons? There are loads of sets-within-sets there.

There are five billion other things that could be done but I can't think of any of them right now. *passes the ball*

Is this just a paint thing? or a sculpt thing? and how would we do this? everyone paint a fig and send it to you to be placed in the diorama? Guess we'd have to settle on theme,.. fantasy, sci-fi, western,.. etc,..

Maybe do some "mash-ups"?? you know,.. pick 2 things that don't go together and see if people can pull 'em off. (ie,.. your D&D party,.. painted up in a "tron" theme,.. or some other such thing)

Just tossing stupid, random ideas out and seeing what sticks,...
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

You are thinking exactly along the same lines as me. I love both the traditional old school adventuring party, and the space wilderness bounty hunter theme. This is what I was looking for. Keep em coming...
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Quote Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post
    Is this just a paint thing? or a sculpt thing? and how would we do this? everyone paint a fig and send it to you to be placed in the diorama? Guess we'd have to settle on theme,.. fantasy, sci-fi, western,.. etc,..

Maybe do some "mash-ups"?? you know,.. pick 2 things that don't go together and see if people can pull 'em off. (ie,.. your D&D party,.. painted up in a "tron" theme,.. or some other such thing)

Just tossing stupid, random ideas out and seeing what sticks,...
    I like that too. It would force some really creative themes. Not limited to anything. So if someone wanted to sculpt something and everyone else wanted to paint, we could somehow incorporate the sculpt as a central figure in the piece.

Id id be fine with others sending their contributions to me, but I don't want to mandate that so we can figure that out in stage three of this brainstorm process. I think first we figure a theme. Second we find people who will definitely contribute over, say, a 4-6 month period (that way it doesn't interfere with anything else the artist is doing) and then finally
    we figure out the details. Great ideas webmonkey. I'll compile all ideas for a vote later.

- adventuring party with dark sword minis would be great
    - Or even the "Thief of Hearts" / Fallen Angels from DS. (they have 7 + 2 or 3 so far)
    - Mercenary party from Freebooter's Fate ?

Please, serious artists only
    ooo, you ruled me out

-Something elemental? Could be the tradish fire-water-earth-wind or any further breakdowns. Or...major alchemical elements + associations?
    - Mythological sets, like the Four Horsemen
    Elementals are nice, now I remembered, why I collected all 6 Elementals from Rackham.
    4 Horsemen in modern... damn you, you just gave me an idea based on models from infinity... all with bikes.

Some ideas that I have:

o Steampunk Wizard of Oz. Each artist picks a character to paint. Dio would be on the yellow brick road!

o Epic Warhammer battle scene between two sides. Example: An Empire general and his retinue of bodyguards are surrounded by Ogres and swamp trolls. Conversions would have to take place with careful planning to make it look like a fluid battle scene. Corpses needed.

o ISAF v Taliban: Great figures from Warlord (I think) would allow a very dynamic and realistic scene of the modern battlefield.

o Arrrrgh!!!! Pirates!!!! Either air pirates or traditional types. Everyone picks a pirate to contribute, possibly from Andrea. Important thing with all of these is that we get the sizes right.

I got more ideas but I'll just put them here over time. I am assuming that you guys that are commenting would participate if it was a topic to your preference, and so that's why I think it's necessary to find the idea and THEN the participants.

Cheers!

Steampunk Pirates vs Ninjas!!!

What are you going to do with it afterwards ? It could be auctioned off for a deserving charity maybe ? As for the topic why not do a poll where you have to pick one from section A and one from section B and see what you end up with, willing to throw in the scenery/ display board for this and if the muse decends a sculptor and or painted bit
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

WGS, now that's the spirit! Love the idea of a charity! And love the idea of a column a and column b. do you mean something along the line of column a is orcs and column b is dwarfs so we would do orcs vs dwarfs? Or something more along the lines of column a is steampunk or horror or Sci Fi and column b is pirates or vampires etc??? I really dig this idea but need some specifics.

Would be be great to have you on board WGS. Furthermore, would love to hear your ideas for a charity thing. Of course I am biased but I think a US/UK/Aussie military vs Taliban diorama would be awesome. Donate it to the Wounded Warrior Project (of which I am a part of). But I think regardless, we should try to make the charity appropriate to the theme of the diorama if possible.

why not column a,b, and c???

a) Theme (ie: fantasy, sci-fi, western, gothic, steampunk,..etc)

b) group #1 (whatever type creatures you want to list)

c) group #2 (whatever type creatures you want to list)

This way, both the groups and the theme are up for vote

Although, depending on the votes,.. this could lead to some really weird combinations,.. like sci-fi-flying-zombie-ninja-monkeys,.. or some such. I'm just saying,.. be prepared for something odd,...
    Last edited by Webmonkey; 10-24-2014 at 03:03 PM.

Odd but original Webmonkey and like the three column idea, BFoK we have something in the UK called help for heroes which is probably similar. I would suggest that whoevers in gets to make a suggestion and then do a poll to get the groups vote on it or even split it between several. Just a suggestion
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

Agree with your suggestion on voting WGS.

We can't get too crazy with strange categories that may result, because we are going to be limited by what is actually produced in any quantity or variety. For instance, if we get orc ninjas or some such theme, there may be one or two of those out there, but not enough to give 5-10 artists something unique to paint. This is my only reluctance for making it too random.

Another way to do it would be via a succession of votes. First everyone votes on a theme. Once we know for a fact what the theme is, everyone votes on a more specific part of the theme, like races involved, or how the dio should be composed, etc. This way voters are armed with the knowledge of the outcome of the last vote before moving onto something else. This would help avoid strange or impossible categories, like biker elves vs dwarven ballerinas (and it doesn't have to be a versus thing at all, just an example). While there's nothing wrong with diminutive and hairy dancers, I've a feeling there isn't much of a market for them.

And then lastly, we can vote on the charity

PS-By serious painters, I meant painters that will seriously take part in the project. This wasn't meant as a remark on skill level. Just to be clear so nobody is dissuaded.

good,.. 'cause i never take anything seriously,.. least of all, myself,...

The charity idea is great! And yeah, I think it's unavoidable that miniature variety and availability have to be considered no matter what the theme is.

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXxxx View Post
    4 Horsemen in modern... damn you, you just gave me an idea based on models from infinity... all with bikes.
    That...would be amazing. So would air pirates aboard a certain beautiful Ian McQue monstrosity ...

You have my attention. I have been wanting to do something along these lines as well BFK. So I think I would be down for it...count me in.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Good to hear ur on board Diggy. I'll give a few more days of suggestions before putting the first round of voting together.

First round will be theme. So ideas like Steampunk, fantasy, Sci fi, historical etc are appropriate. I'll include all I can think of but any additional ideas are appreciated.

Fantasy, Scifi, Historical, Chibi, Steampunk, Superhero, Horror, Anime, maybe holiday (like a halloween or xmas thing)
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

*poke poke nudge nudge*
    ." -Me-