Smaug...opinions please.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smaug...opinions please.

Default Smaug...opinions please.

You know I'm a committed (OK Comittable) Dracophile, but what does anyone else think of SMAUG?
    (its £295 if you weren't aware and supposedly resin(?))
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Both good hmm first one by a hair
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

I love how it looks, but won't buy because of price (and for being limited + already sold out)

also: http://www-images.theonering.org/tor...riblealrg2.jpg

(sideshow weta, prebuilt, prepainted, only a bit more expensive.)

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXxxx View Post
    I love how it looks, but won't buy because of price (and for being limited + already sold out)

also: http://www-images.theonering.org/tor...riblealrg2.jpg

(sideshow weta, prebuilt, prepainted, only a bit more expensive.)
    I dont think it is actually limited edition. The GW site refers to it is being limited to 200 copies before christmas. Although, even as a GW fanboy, i am getting tired of all of the limited editions with no notice...

As to the mini, i like it. But its Still nothing compared to Andy's dragon at Heresy.... And its a wyvern at the end of the day.

I think it is gorgeous!! I prefer this pose over the Sideshow Weta though I would have loved to have a rougher texture on the body as in the Weta version. But as it is easier to add larger textures afterwards I don't mind that much. Haven't seen the one Gohkm linked before, while similar in sculpting quality, again the pose and just sheer brutality this one radiates is amazing. It just perfectly captures Smaug.

The Heresy dragon is nice, but this dragon is another league all together both in concept (due to the original concept) and sculptwise.

The only dragon I remember getting a similar wow factor from in the last few years is Cang the implacable, but for that one I thought there was actually too much texture. So I might like this one better.

And it's not limited! It's just that they only have 200 before Christmas, that is all.

EDIT. And it's ordinary resin, not Finecast! So maybe it will even come mostly intact...
    Last edited by Avelorn; 12-06-2014 at 11:10 AM.

Exactly what Ozy says. Bloody big wyvern but still not a dragon

In my opinion, It's a trap!

He looks great, for a wyvern. Was disappointed when I seen him for the first time at the movies.

Honestly DR, if you like it, and you find the price ok, then you should do what makes you happy.
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

I think GW nailed this one. Stunning piece.

You can argue that it has four legs, it is just that the wings are attached to the front legs in this design. While dragons are often depicted with six limbs this is not always the case. Look at dragons around all kinds of mythology and you will see how they differ in that respect. Zero, two or four are all common. Wings are not a given either. Two more legs with this "realistic" dragon design looks a bit awkward as we don't have 6 leg vertebrates. Where would the legs go? Generally on the 6 limb versions the wings are put onto the back like how we depict angels. For a static fantasy GW dragon that is nice or in a drawing. But in this case I would go with this version all the way because of the movement. I would never mistake Smaug for a fell beast, which is more the Wyvern type of design for the LOTR/Hobbit movies.

I think this dragon vs wyvern thing (also Harry Potter, elder scroll, how to tame your dragon etc.) is amusing.

im not really a dragon guy but this looks pretty badass to me, wyvern or not.

btw, doesnt it says just "resin" on all the miniatures at the GW site formerly known as finecast? have gw replaced finecast or just abandoned the term?
    Last edited by SkelettetS; 12-08-2014 at 05:28 AM.

Smaug is supposed to be proper resin, not Finecast, last I read (I think on Dakka).

It is ok i guess.

I am not a fan of dragons with only 4 limbs.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Pricey, but it is a really nice sculpt in my opinion. On the website it says it is made with the same resin forgeworld models are.

I don't want to imagine how many times you would have replace this for a acceptable version had it been finecast. The Post Office would think your were building a doomsday machine or something.

Once it's back in stock (I was checking every hour friday evening, but missed it...apparently sold out quick), will get one... already approved it by the wife

And as ppl here know, big resin monsters i want

hmm. maybe get the sideshow one and save it; then resell later. The original balrog's sold for several thousand...

Sanjay

Quote Originally Posted by StarFyre View Post
    Once it's back in stock, will get one... already approved it by the wife
    Sanjay
    Wifely approval, dangerous thing.
    Sanjy, you looked at Meirce miniatures dragon yet.....Very nice!
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Yeah I like it. Tempted to get one.

Personally I hated what they did to Smaug in the new films. They should have made him with four legs as a proper dragon, this is how both Tolkein and John Howe depicted him and losing the front two legs was just lazy animation and a step too far.

My view of Smaug, there are elements I prefer in both sculpts. I like then more dynamic pose of the GW one but not the cartoonyness. I prefer the head on the Geene models one as it has a more natural look.Oh and for Smaug fans who want to remain true to the original artwork there is this one that I saw on eBay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Hobbit...71488590360…
    I initially thought it was just a recast of the weta digital LOTR collectible bronze but there are quite a few subtle differences, so not sure if it was originally scratch built or what. I am quite tempted to take a punt on this myself.
    I see there are already a couple of GW Smaugs up on flea bay..
    Last edited by kittykat23uk; 12-10-2014 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Avelorn View Post
    ... in concept (due to the original concept) and sculptwise...
    If by original you mean the sitting on the big pile of treasure then this most certainly reminds me of Ral Partha's Imperial Dragon from the 1980s. While my gut baulks at the $500 price tag of this GW mini, I suppose the Imperial Dragon was $100+ back in the day (limited edition)... OK, even with inflation this Smaug is still crazy expensive.

Name:  RP-01-500-4.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  201.0 KB