Blackadder Attempts to build an Emperor Class Titan

Thread: Blackadder Attempts to build an Emperor Class Titan

Default Blackadder Attempts to build an Emperor Class Titan

Okay, never let it be said that sanity is one of The Blackadder's strong points. With so many projects half finished the last thing I need is to start something of this magnetude so here goes.....

First we have to establish a working size for the beast, I know we've all seen these outlandishly huge Emperors and even Warlords in excess of two meters tall but on the practical size fielding a piece twice as big as the average game board has little value; my Luteus Vexant is unplayable on a 1,3 meter square battle board plus it looks ridiculous.

Such constructions are best left to the epic scale.

In the image above, yeah there is something called an 'Apocalypse Class' (at least in someone's imagination) but considering my Warlord is 28 inches tall (the miniature figure third from the left)
    scale-wise the Apocalypse titan is in excess of twenty feet tall.

The Emperor titan scales out at 5 to 6 feet tall and my pitiful Warlord a pipsqueak two feet tall.

This will not do.

I propose my version of a Imperator will max out at 33 to 36 inches tall and that's etched in stone, er, resin as the case may be.

That should be plenty big enough!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "It is easier to deceive people than it is to convince them that they have been deceived."

Sweet Omnissiah!! This should be good!
    Question. Is your max height to the top of the chapel or to it's base? Seems to me 33 to 36 inches will leave you with a Warlord with a castle on it's back. The numbers that I see is 40 to 48 inches, closer to a doubling with every class of Titan, but that's just me. Which also begs the question are you planing a 'castle' or going with a Mars pattern? Either way, this should be good.
    "Yes, yes, yes. Woman are in awe of his manhood and men swoon in his wake. Truly he is a legend in his own mind."

I've decided to attempt to try to make both a Lucius and a Mars Imperator which I believe is the smaller of the Emperor Titans. I will be just adding switchable components to make my Warlord an Imperator at my whim by just switching out the parts.

Something like this:

I used wargamesculptor 's images as they are better than mine of the Warmonger/Imperator titan.

The Mars pattern will be a total build but again the parts that make it a Mars will be detachable so the Lucius parts will also fit, again at my whim. That way I can have a Lucius Warlord and a Lucius or Mars Imperator or I can have a Lucius and a Mars Imperator. How 'bout that?

As for the size my rule of thumb is each progressively larger Titan is 1.5 times taller than the previous so a FW Warhound is 10.5 inches and a FW Reaver is 16.5 inches actually so ballparking that I came up with 25 -26 inches for my scratch Warlord unfortunately the scale of the few bitz I used required the Warlord to be slightly larger so it ultimately came in at 28 inches. That would put the figures you quoted right in my average for the Emperor class titan of 42 inches where the Imperator would be around 36 and the Emperor around 48 inches tall. Lots of fudge factoring going on there but I do not want my Warlord too outclassed.

And no; I categorically, absolutely, positively will not! not! not! be making the big Emperor titan..........

probably.........

Now I only have to figure how to live for another century so I can finish all these projects.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Blackadder; 12-29-2014 at 05:35 PM.
    "It is easier to deceive people than it is to convince them that they have been deceived."

Segmentum Solar Terra Northern Hemisphere

you, sir, are completely insane! but worthy of imitation...
    you found a spelling error up there? you may keep it for your collection!

It should be noted that Emperor is a class of titan, which both Imperator and Warmonger are types. Imperator being the type with the castle on it's back (Mars) or like the one that you've got pictured above (Lucius), and a Warmonger is the one with the big Lascannon and the Deathstrike missiles (see your Reaver thread).
    I'm not sure about the switching out parts on your Warlord, BA. Besides the size differences, your Warlord is a work of art, and as several of my Teachers in College tried to pound into my thick skull; Know when to stop working a piece, cuz that line between perfection and a wreak is hard to see and easily crossed.
    "Yes, yes, yes. Woman are in awe of his manhood and men swoon in his wake. Truly he is a legend in his own mind."

Quote Originally Posted by mud duck View Post
    It should be noted that Emperor is a class of titan, which both Imperator and Warmonger are types. Imperator being the type with the castle on it's back (Mars) or like the one that you've got pictured above (Lucius), and a Warmonger is the one with the big Lascannon and the Deathstrike missiles (see your Reaver thread).
    I'm not sure about the switching out parts on your Warlord, BA. Besides the size differences, your Warlord is a work of art, and as several of my Teachers in College tried to pound into my thick skull; Know when to stop working a piece, cuz that line between perfection and a wreak is hard to see and easily crossed.
    Man I am so confused with these Emperor titans I am ready to chuck the whole project but of course I haven't actually done anything except some reading and gathering images.

The best thing to do is import all the information to this thread and let 'Mud Duck' sort it out for me. So basically there is no Emperor Titan but it is a 'Class' with two variations; an Imperator and a Warmonger each of which can be either Mars or Lucius and differing only by the weapons carried in either pattern?

so assuming the two above are Mars pattern Imperator and Warmonger

and this is a Lucius pattern Warmonger,

what does a Lucius pattern Imperator look like

Now to the "piece of art", I designed the Warlord with the idea of eventually adding on the extra superimposed superstructure and troop carrying greaves and to also have a multitude of weapons as the main armament. I think it would be fun to be able to change the configuration from Lucius Warlord to Lucius Warmonger merely by swapping out a few components. Once that design is completed making the more tubular legs of the Imperator version should be relatively simple especially if I don't commit the folly of articulating it.
    Last edited by Blackadder; 12-31-2014 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackadder View Post
    Man I am so confused with these Emperor titans I am ready to chuck the whole project but of course I haven't actually done anything except some reading and gathering images.

The best thing to do is import all the information to this thread and let 'Mud Duck' sort it out for me. So basically there is no Emperor Titan but it is a 'Class' with two variations; an Imperator and a Warmonger each of which can be either Mars or Lucius and differing only by the weapons carried in either pattern?
    Correct

so assuming the two above are Mars pattern Imperator and Warmonger
    Warmonger (missle and double barreled cannon arms) and Imperator (Gatling and plasma cannon arms)

and this is a Lucius pattern Warmonger,

what does a Lucius pattern Imperator look like
    Lucius pattern Imperator, not sure if Games Workshop ever modeled a Lucius Warmonger. If memory serves Warmongers were a rare titan. I would imagine that design would be fairly close, straight line vs curves and a more military look.

Now to the "piece of art", I designed the Warlord with the idea of eventually adding on the extra superimposed superstructure and troop carrying greaves and to also have a multitude of weapons as the main armament. I think it would be fun to be able to change the configuration from Lucius Warlord to Lucius Warmonger merely by swapping out a few components. Once that design is completed making the more tubular legs of the Imperator version should be relatively simple especially if I don't commit the folly of articulating it.
    In that case, I'll be quite and go back to the peanut gallery.

No no, don't be quiet, input is invaluable and much appreciated. I am dabbling in new ground for me and I need all the help I can get.

Thanks for the update.

Okay so which one has the spires?
    Last edited by Blackadder; 12-31-2014 at 02:14 PM.

In the original Adeptus titanicus there was also a nemisis class which was an upgraded warlord with Imperator weapons
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

Really?!? Thought that was like a bigger titan.

Spires, that's a Mars pattern Imperator.

how can i insert pictures?!?
    found this one on an other forum:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attach...8&d=1380233820

looks like a contemptuous imperator with a "little" different stuff on it

here it is again unpainted (scroll to bottom):
    http://wh40k.lexicanum.de/wiki/Imperator-Titan

sorry for german link...

3rd edit:
    because of the height-chart you made, at http://wh40k.lexicanum.com you can read:

Discrepancies

A number of different sources list different heights for Emperor-class titans. Imperators are said to be at least 50meters in height,[5] although in at least one novel Dies Irae is said to be only 43 meters tall[1] (with an earlier novel pegging the same Titan as being 140 meters tall[6]). Imperator Titans have also been listed as being 60 meters tall,[7] 70 meters tall,[8] at least 90 meters tall,[9] and 100 meters tall.[10]

...perhaps it's inflatable? ^^
    Last edited by face of dark future; 01-01-2015 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by face of dark future View Post
    how can i insert pictures?!?
    I've given up trying to use the inhouse image generator and just bracket the http address with [img] [/img] somehow it works; or you can use a free image provider such as www.imgur.com

found this one on an other forum:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attach...8&d=1380233820

looks like a contemptuous imperator with a "little" different stuff on it

here it is again unpainted (scroll to bottom):
    http://wh40k.lexicanum.de/wiki/Imperator-Titan

sorry for german link...
    No problem, I have 'google translate.' which works amazingly well..............

3rd edit:

because of the height-chart you made, at http://wh40k.lexicanum.com you can read:

Discrepancies

A number of different sources list different heights for Emperor-class titans. Imperators are said to be at least 50meters in height,[5] although in at least one novel Dies Irae is said to be only 43 meters tall[1] (with an earlier novel pegging the same Titan as being 140 meters tall[6]). Imperator Titans have also been listed as being 60 meters tall,[7] 70 meters tall,[8] at least 90 meters tall,[9] and 100 meters tall.[10]

...perhaps it's inflatable? ^^
    My 'Luteus Vexant' Warlord scales out 152 feet tall (46 meters tall) based on the FW model of the Warhound being 10.5 inches tall.

I can readily accept that the Imperator Titan may be 60 meters tall which is 196 feet tall counting the thicker foot pads and the enhanced shoulder weapons array plus the large central tower but anything larger would be excessive.

I think the basic body/legs size is not very much larger than the Warlord and that is what I shall be basing my production on.

Thanks for the great images.
    Last edited by Blackadder; 01-01-2015 at 11:52 AM.

thanks for the imgur-thingy!

i've made a pic from my epic warlord/imperator.
    http://imgur.com/YHZFKqY

imp seems much larger.

have noticed how dusty they are. after only 4 years in the display case ...
    Last edited by face of dark future; 01-01-2015 at 02:32 PM.

Walking Cathedrals, Some Thoughts on the Construction:

Never having taken any courses in art or design I probably have no business making this compilation of what I perceive to be construction errors that seem prevalent in many of the Emperor Titans 'Imperators'.

First of all regarding size there is a limit of practicality where while a two meter tall Emperor Titan may be impressive it is hardly a playable piece unless the titan itself is the game board. Rather it will be relegated to the store window of your local Gamesworkshop where when that one is closed will subsequently be consigned to the dumpster behind the soon to be renovated store.

Because who has the room for such an out-sized monstrosity?

So I set my limit at 33 to 36 inches (0,83820 to 0,91440 meters).

Next problem is the slab sided blockiness of the greaves, hull, carapace, and cathedral appurtenances; with out being specific by showing images of others work I will demonstrate with a minor area of my own construction.

Back in the days of my initial Warlord build I happened to make the rear bulkhead of my Engineering compartment too square.

http://i.imgur.com/nZH84.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hN7XM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/o9kIR.jpg

The subtle tapering of the lower rear panel and the angling of the lower edge of the carapace rear differs from the square lower edge and panel of DS's exceptionally fine 'miniature' and to me is much more aesthetically pleasing.

Next post please............

in my opinion you can be variable in height.
    your works are really inspiring, i think. all my "crazy" plans (twenty times bigger bfg cruiser, inquisitor sized spacecraft just and only for eisenhorn etc) compared to a 40K-sized imperator appear to me as feasible. ^^

Thanks for the reply,

I think before I get into the design/construction a review of the basics I use in my scratch builds is in order in case someone wants to follow along as I build. I don't pretend to have all the answers and there are much better ways to do things that more experienced builders may employ but I can only give you what works for me and the why I do things the way I do starting with what the damned things are made of.............

Materials:

I've seen styrene foam, cardboard, Foam filled posterboard, wood, plastic paneling, & etc. used and I made the mistake of using foam filled posterboard on two of my constructs; the Warhound Lucie and the Thunderhawk and I have to relate I have always regretted not using styrene sheets throughout the construction.

The problem is getting everything to hold together, the different materials require different glues which usually are incompatible with the other surfaces. You spend more time, effort, cost of resins and epoxies plus hours of drying time and sticky residue on everything including fingers, clothing, furniture, computer keyboards, and whatnot than it would be to just bite the bullet, and spend a few more bucks and go full styrene for the whole project. I purchase my sheet styrene from commercial plastic wholesalers usually found in most industrial parks. I buy small 3 foot X 6 foot sheets for about 16 bucks each in 3 thicknesses 0.020, 0.030 and 0.040 because that's what my local supply stocks and they're only a half hour round trip from me. I purchase about three sheets a year give or take.

I find it more economical to not use thicker styrene 0.060 and 0.080 except in special areas where excessive strength is required because it's too hard to cut with your standard utility knife and it's about 3 times more expensive than 2 sheets of thinner styrene sandwiched together but that's your choice.

As a point of fact I only used 2,0 MM sheet styrene on the soles of my Warlord's foot pads and nowhere else in the entire construction.

I do have quite a collection of 'Evergreen styrene strips, tubes, and rods, and i spend about $20 bucks a month on it including glue and paint which when you think about it is pretty cheap for the amount of recreational fun you get from scratch-building. Granted the initial outlay is daunting, probably two to three hundred dollars for everything you need as far as materials but if you keep up with maintaining your inventory that is the only major outlay you will have to make.

In closing a couple of images of my plastic stock mounted with push pins on corrugated cardboard.

http://i.imgur.com/xfbZKCN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/A0MYFTk.jpg

Someday I'll find some cubicle wall dividers and do the set up properly. It saves a lot of time mounting your stock like this instead of rummaging through a couple hundred bags for the strip you need.

Next; Tools of the Trade...............
    Last edited by Blackadder; 01-03-2015 at 01:26 PM.