My "About Time" Dark Angels Thread

Thread: My "About Time" Dark Angels Thread

Default My "About Time" Dark Angels Thread

Well, it was about time I started a thread about my stalled army project, hoping that it will kick my butt into getting going.

Short(ish) story : Long time lurker on these forums etc etc. I started playing 40K at the end of RT era, and got heavily into it with 2nd Edition, first with Ultramarines, then Dark Angels later due to the circle of players I battled (Space Wolves, 2 x Ultramarines (me and Another), Blood Angels..). This happened around the time the Angels of Death Codex was released, so mid 90's at this point? I moved briefly onto Tyranids, but fell out of love with the game (due to the discovery of girls and alcohol!). A few years ago, I popped into my local GW store and my better half brought me set of 5 SM's and a paint set as a surprise. Soon after, she fell pregnant, and I decided not to take up the hobby until around two months ago, when I decided to dive in feet first, and get the Dark Angel Army I had always wanted as a kid.

So, that's where I am today. Oh, and just to add more mini's, my Wife brought me the Dark Vengeance Boxset for Christmas

First : Army List, then some progress pictures taken today. Hopefully they aren't too bad. I'm pretty shocking when it comes to photography ( and Painting! ), but hopefully some tips from the experts around here would help. I hope to update this list whenever I make some meaningful progress. So, maybe next updated Feb 2016?

So:

Updated : 30/12/2014

Belial - Semi Painted.
    2 Space Marine Captains - 1 Basecoated.
    2 Librarian ( 1 in Terminator Armour ) - 1 Undercoated.
    1 Standard Bearer - Base Coated
    1 Chaplain in Terminator Armour - Undercoated.

4 Tactical Squads (approx 45-50 members) - Various Levels of Basecoating / assembly.
    5 models completed ()

5 Assault Marines - basecoated (bases only arrived in the mail a few days ago)

5 Deathwing Knights - Basecoated
    20 Deathing Terminators - 15 Basecoated

1 Rhino - Painted, awaiting final highlights / details
    1 Dreadnaught - Basecoated
    1 Landraider - Unassembled
    1 Razorback - Unassembled

3 Ravenwing Bikes - Not even glued! (Planning on conversions)

Inbound from the 'net - 1 Venerable Dreadnought, 1 Dreadnought Drop Pod.

Oh, and a CSM army from the DV boxset!

So...onto pictures!

Whole Army (Minus Land Raider and Razorback that are still on sprues!

The only completed Squad!

My in-progress Belial. The base is a few skeletons and some parts of a "Hero Basing" kit from Ebay, some Gravel, and some putty / Jabberwocky to fill in and make it look nice.

Attached Images Attached Images    

My Deathing Knights - undercoated Black when I bought them (I undercoat Grey by preference), so their colours are slightly different. I'm hoping when finished you can't tell.

Deathwing Assault! It's a good job I personally love painting DW!

My 5 Assault Troops, still mounted on Corks, as their bases have only just arrived. I wanted to mount them on scenic bases, larger than normal bases just to be different

Close up of the Assault Squad Sergeant.

Dreadnought. The weapons aren't secured to allow change. The leg armour / Face is missing as I ordered DA specific ones that haven't arrived yet.

Rhino, just waiting on top doors to be painted with a tactical Arrow, and some more details prior to being "dirtied"

The reason everything takes me so long. I'm a slow painter, but I like to make sure all the details that matter are painted.

So, any ideas / Critiques / comments are more than welcome. And if anyone knows how to rotate pictures I would love to know!

Cheers
    -Pho

I'm seeing some mold lines, a long arms and backpacks. I would look at painting the rubber bits at the elbows and knees black. Other then that looking good.
    "Yes, yes, yes. Woman are in awe of his manhood and men swoon in his wake. Truly he is a legend in his own mind."