MANollette's WIP Log

Thread: MANollette's WIP Log

Default MANollette's WIP Log (Warhammer 40k)

Hi all! Been painting miniatures for a while now, and I like to think of myself as a beginner + to intermediate painter. I primarily paint WH40k (as it's the only tabletop game I play), but I did a short stint where I painted a lot of other stuff after leaving a post on Craigslist saying I'd basically paint for the cost of supplies. Gotta get experience somewhere, right? Anyways, I'm posting here as an additional place to keep track of my projects, as well as to get advice from some more seasoned painters. Always more to learn :-) Anyways, here's some of my work, from oldest on top to most recent on bottom (the Alpha Legionnaire's about 2-hours-recent).

Oh, and if anyone could help me out with how to remove the attachments so that every image isn't shown twice, 'twould be much appreciated. Haven't had that one happen before with the 'insert image' option. Trying to figure it out now.

Knights of the Eclipse (Space Marines w/inquisitorial allies)

Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by MANollette; 06-05-2015 at 07:51 AM.

'Commission' work:

Alpha Legion:

Since my Alpha Legionnaires are my guinea pigs for techniques I haven't tried before, here's my first attempt at NMM gold on the sergeant, along with the squad.

Good work. I ont understand the green splits on the miniatures. You want a light effect?

I love seeing the improvement from your worst work to your best.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothskin View Post
    Good work. I ont understand the green splits on the miniatures. You want a light effect?
    Thanks! And yeah, I'm going for a lighting effect from the eyes; I've done it before with good results on plasma guns, but it doesn't seem to be working quite as I'd intended here.

Quote Originally Posted by oistene View Post
    I love seeing the improvement from your worst work to your best.
    And thank you as well. The first models I ever painted (except WFB empire when I was like 13) are in the Space Marine army. There's a reason I didn't take any detailed pics of my tactical marines ;-)

Nice work, he only problem with the light effect is the colour. Maybe do like this:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/article...-eyes-by-cyril

Quote Originally Posted by Rothskin View Post
    Nice work, he only problem with the light effect is the colour. Maybe do like this:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/article...-eyes-by-cyril
    That...actually looks damn good. I'll give it a try with the other 5 and post pics when they're finished.

Oh, and thanks. I usually have a pretty hard time finding good tutorials for the stuff I try to do. Every now and then I'll snag a good one that ups one aspect of my paint jobs for good though, and this looks like it might be one of 'em.

Looks like your havin fun. Two pointers real fast. Consider a painting hit and run. First taking photos of red minis on a red table cloth made it hurt my brain a bit. Second, the NMM gold is great as far as mid tones and highlights. Great placement of the glare points and highest whites. Deepen with shadows tho. You can shade in many ways, but I'd glaze it black then in the darkest spots put small amount of either a purple or green glaze. Cheers!
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Quote Originally Posted by BloodFather of Kharnath View Post
    Looks like your havin fun. Two pointers real fast. Consider a painting hit and run. First taking photos of red minis on a red table cloth made it hurt my brain a bit. Second, the NMM gold is great as far as mid tones and highlights. Great placement of the glare points and highest whites. Deepen with shadows tho. You can shade in many ways, but I'd glaze it black then in the darkest spots put small amount of either a purple or green glaze. Cheers!
    Hah sorry about that. I realized my mistake with the red on red a bit too late, and by then I wasn't too keen on setting the whole army up again just for pics. I usually do a purple wash for my red or blue guys, and either an earthshade or a nuln oil for anything else. I'll see about varying the quantity and consistency of the washes I use in different recesses. Thanks for the tip!

Alright, so I gave my chaos Alpha Legion Marines a bit of a break in favor of some of the heresy stuff I ordered. Got some cataphractii terminators and a couple squads of Mk III and IV armor. After Three base coats and strip jobs (REALLY wanted to find a version of the FW metallic color that I liked), I finally found a color scheme (and battle damage formula!) that I liked. I'm happy with the appearance overall, and below are pics of the Legionnaire before and after I applied rust and grime to the model.

From those willing to provide them, I'm looking for opinions on the before and after, which looks better, and any suggestions for alternative rust formulas. I'm using the ryza rust right now, which makes it difficult to apply in recesses, though my inspiration (and the weathering look I'm going for) are these guys right here. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/399835273139248068/

Obviously as always any other advice or comments are welcome too :-)

Alright, so I've got the first squad done. *heavily* adjusted the color scheme, and changed my rust technique over to some of the super weapon pigments instead of ryza rust.