February - The "I Loathe This Model" Contest
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: February - The "I Loathe This Model" Contest

Default February - The "I Loathe This Model" Contest

(ok,.. this one's a little sadistic, I know. But it should be good fun watching you all curse me as we go. )

Yes kids,.. it's that time again!!

Last time, we didn't have too many people enter the contest, mostly due to money and/or shipping time concerns. This time, we will get around those hurdles by making you paint something that you already own!!!

"But Webmonkey,... how does this work??"

Glad you asked!!! All you have to do is go into the back of your closet/cupboard,.. (or the very bottom of your bin, if you prefer). Are you there yet?? no?,.. keep going then,... further,... further,.. FURTHER!!!
    Now are you finally at the back?? Good! Now look around for that one model that you keep ignoring and pushing to the back. (C'mon,.. you know that you have at least one!)

Maybe you hate it because you think it's ugly. Maybe you think it's too complex. Maybe someone else bought it for you as a gift and you just accepted it, to be nice. Maybe it doesn't fit with the rest of your army,..

But whatever the reason, it's the model that you just never seem to be able to get around to painting. That's the one that you have to paint this time around.

Clear enough?,... Good,.. and welcome aboard!!!

Same rules apply as last time. Most of you have done contests like this before, so I won't bore you guys with all the basic rules. If you're new, and need to know, or just have questions in general,.. feel free to drop me a line, or just post your questions here. I, or one of the other contestants will be happy to fill you in as needed.

As for the rest of you guys,..*rubs hands together evilly*,.. Muhahahahaha!!
    Last edited by Webmonkey; 01-01-2015 at 11:47 PM.
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

when is the finishing date for his one???
    i have a Librarian Tigurius i have to paint...
    i've owned this mini since it was released in about 2005, but could never even think about painting it, as he is the worst Librarian model GW has ever released, in my opinion...
    perfect timing for this theme...

cheers
    jah
    Paint like you've got a pair!!!

It runs from the 1st - 28th. March 1st will start the voting,.. and will go through the 15th or the end of march. Not sure yet. Welcome aboard!! It's nice to see a new face already taking an interest!

A fun idea, that i might join in on.

But as i have just been diagnosed as patient 0, with an alien liquification virus, i might not be here in february...

*cough cough* Is that supposed to be purple and moving?!?
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Hm, I might try and get in on this. I have a Rackham Griffin Inquisitor, all primed up nicely. I love this model, but he's been painted and stripped 3 times now - I simply loathe painting him. Not any definable feature, just a general ickiness.

Just in time as I was starting to go through my models to have a big clear out. If I don't find a model that I've had for more than 5 years and not touched, I'll be going with the FW Keeper of Secrets (she has been stripped too many times) I've got til the beginning of Feb to decide Webmonkey?

Quote Originally Posted by crystella333 View Post
    Just in time as I was starting to go through my models to have a big clear out. If I don't find a model that I've had for more than 5 years and not touched, I'll be going with the FW Keeper of Secrets (she has been stripped too many times) I've got til the beginning of Feb to decide Webmonkey?
    I am doing the same thing. Cleaning out all the acumualted stuff, that will never get touched, to lighten my load and make room for new stuffz.

I am still deciding, but so far i am going for a Tau Riptide, that I have started/stripped/started numerous times.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Yes, you have until the 1st to decide

Ugh, I will have a look through my piles of minis. I'm sure I can find something to hate
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

you made it very very hard this time.
    I have no mini that I loathe, so no real idea what to paint without cheating (by taking one I like and want to paint).
    but a few that I always push back (but no idea which to choose, so please help here):
    - Conf - Cardinal Aerth
    - helldorado - greater dam,ned of wrath
    - Infinity - Marut
    - gw - finecast necron lord
    - kd - 54mm white speaker

Can it be a abandon project already with paint on? I have a bunch of cursed ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Teronus View Post
    Can it be a abandon project already with paint on? I have a bunch of cursed ones.
    Yes. but if you go this route,.. we'll definitely need a pre-work pic,.. and a post-work pic,.. so that we can see the work that you've done for the contest, and that you aren't just turning in something that was already fully pre-painted. If that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post
    Yes. but if you go this route,.. we'll definitely need a pre-work pic,.. and a post-work pic,.. so that we can see the work that you've done for the contest, and that you aren't just turning in something that was already fully pre-painted. If that makes sense.
    Thanks, just to reassure you I am in this for the fun part of it and a chance to get away from serious project. I am honest guy it never even crossed my mind to do those kind of things... Of course you'll get pictures! You will get pictures every time I do a brush stoke LOL

You know what, forget it, I will look for something that hunts me even more and not started, thanks.
    Last edited by Teronus; 01-02-2015 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXxxx View Post
    I have no mini that I loathe, so no real idea what to paint without cheating (by taking one I like and want to paint).
    but a few that I always push back (but no idea which to choose, so please help here):
    - Conf - Cardinal Aerth
    - Infinity - Marut
    It has to be this one: gw - finecast necron lord. Failcast for the win!
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

I got it, I got something that represent more the idea, I have been carrying around that mini for about 20 years, been striped like 4 times and will be striped again for this cool project. If I can ever finish that mini there's my win.

Attached Images Attached Images  

well,.. there's still a month before we start. So you can still change your mind if you like. And if not, spend the time going over the project in your head so that you have a clear vision of what you want to accomplish with this model. I look forward to seeing what you do

Quote Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post
    well,.. there's still a month before we start. So you can still change your mind if you like. And if not, spend the time going over the project in your head so that you have a clear vision of what you want to accomplish with this model. I look forward to seeing what you do
    Everything as never been clearer in my mind, here is my idea: I will paint the Pegasus as a gold trophy and who ever wins this contest will have it. This way I am motivating myself (cause I love doing metallic) and also I motivate the contestants. What do you think all?

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXxxx View Post
    - Conf - Cardinal Aerth
    - Infinity - Marut
    You don't actually have to "loathe" the model,.. The whole point is simply to make people pay some attention to their pile of "forgotten/ignored mini's". So you can still actually like the model,.. just as long as it's one that you've been ignoring forever.

Dragonreach>> Thanks for pinning the thread up top!! As always,.. you're my hero!!!

I got some stuff in my attic... Maybe some minis I've 'saved' from 2002ish...