Next CMoN Kickstarter?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next CMoN Kickstarter?

Default Next CMoN Kickstarter?

Sooo, I was wondering... Now that Rum & Bones is over, what'll be the next KS project CMoN launches, and when is the launch planned?

I live down in Dorset with the cider and the combine harvesters yaargh!

Their quality and communication are awful, it's best to avoid coolminiornot kickstarters.

Ooookay... Well, so far I've invested in several of their KSes and haven't been really disappointed. Maybe it's the fact that I understand the concept of patience, that I've had pretty good communications even compared to other KS project creators (seriously, if CMoN is your point of reference then they're actually in the average at worst; you want REALLY crappy comms you should try Palladium with their Robotech RPG Tactics KS), or that from a comparative point of view I get a good bang for the buck (their stuff is from my experience about as good and plentiful box for box as Fantasy Flight's at a comparable price, and that's not counting the extras and freebies from Stretch Goals; what's your quality/price yardstick?). Also, I don't paint minis, I'm mostly interested in playing the games, and while I haven't played as much as I'd want, so far what I've got works pretty well IMO.

Paireon, if you are in the USA then you may have had more joy than the RoW. The amount of no communication/delays/kafuffles has stopped me from backing at least 2 of their projects.
    In comparison, I've been more than happy with the way that Raging Heroes have ran their 1st Kickstarter and more than happy to put my money and faith in their next one coming soon.
    Last edited by crystella333; 01-03-2015 at 02:49 PM.

Can I suggest the "help make me a millionaire" kickstarter,.. where I get you guys to all send me money, for no real reason, then to help make me a millionaire???

'cause I'm ok with that,..
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crystella333 View Post
    Paireon, if you are in the USA then you may have had more joy than the RoW. The amount of no communication/delays/kafuffles has stopped me from backing at least 2 of their projects.
    In comparison, I've been more than happy with the way that Raging Heroes have ran their 1st Kickstarter and more than happy to put my money and faith in their next one coming soon.
    I agre about the Raging heroes kickstarter. Even though it is delayed, the communication has been amazing.

Cant wait for the dark elf and warrior nun kickstarters.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Quote Originally Posted by crystella333 View Post
    Well, I'm in Canada, and everything's been pretty much OK so far with CMoN on my part; not the best, but definitely not the worst. Good for you that Raging Heroes worked out so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post
    Can I suggest the "help make me a millionaire" kickstarter,.. where I get you guys to all send me money, for no real reason, then to help make me a millionaire???

Ha. Ha.
    Protip: If you've ever thought of quitting your day job to become a stand-up comic, don't. You suck at it.

Webmonkey is funnier than you think he is, mate. You may be a fan of CMON, but there's a lot of folks who think CMON is abusing the Kickstarter system, basically turning it into a giant pre-order system. It has been hashed over several times on multiple forums, so there's no point in me chewing stale cud, but nowadays, I blow my Kickstarter funds on the small, boutique companies that I reckon need crowd funding more.

To each his own.

I'm not particularly a fan of CMoN; calling their communications average kinda hinted at it (besides, they're certainly rich enough by now to hire one or two PR guys if they feel like they need White Knighting). I can be a fan of games, but not of the companies that make them, just like being a fan of a movie doesn't make you a fan of the studio that made/released it (case in point Fantasy Flight - I may love their Lovecraftian games, but I'm pretty pissed at them for their mishandling/discontinuing of Tannhaüser). Also, I don't mind that Webmonkey or anyone else disses on CMoN (as you said, to each his own), it's that his reply was pretty implicitely condescending towards people like me IMO. You and everybody else who replied to the thread didn't seem to feel the need to be that way, which is why my replies to you and them are more courteous.

OK everyone please be polite.

Paireon,
    humour doesn't always translate to the written word and Webmonkey wasn't having a go at you about your desire to use Kickstarter, just expressing a humorous desire to be rich.

Webmonkey might be helpful to drop a smiley in a jokey comment in future.

I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Thought that I clicked the smiley,.. but I guess not. But yes, it was intended as my (albeit rather poor) attempt at humor. But that's ok,.. I didn't take what Pai said as personal. And even if it was meant as such, that's ok,.. I'm a big boy, and I can take it with a little grace and good nature.

'Ergo,... no harm-no foul,....
    Last edited by Webmonkey; 01-04-2015 at 01:36 PM.
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

From what I've seen if it's a kick starter that's pretty much owned by CMON then it tends to be good. Also if it's to supporters in the USA then shipping is quick and efficient. So if your US based then go all the way with them. On the flip side if your Europe based the consensus is don't touch em with a ten foot barge pole! Very very poor shipping and no communication worth speaking of. I've been following their KS carefully but have been put off projects I've been very interested in as I am Europe based and their service to Europe seems to suck a**!
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

I have yet to get any Kickstarter goods from CMoN yet - but this surprises me a little, since I get excellent service on all orders I do from their webstore. They arrive quickly, if there are problems they are sorted out right away.

I live down in Dorset with the cider and the combine harvesters yaargh!

Let me see

1) they do not inform about delays until after product should have shipped.
    2) they lie about production status saying items have been produced/packed then backtrack saying they haven't.
    3) printed materials are substandard.
    4) material used for minis not fit for purpose (see sedition wars)
    5) false stretch goals (items held out of aim box to be added later as stretch goals)
    6) they use a sock puppet account on dakka to shout down naysayers

Shall I go on?

With respect to CMON only, I think they are purely publishers - design, manufacturing, etc. are out of their control. That's probably why their webstore orders are processed so fast, but Kickstarters are slow.

It really should be restated that CMON Kickstarters tend to be okay generally if one is on the States.

Quote Originally Posted by noneedforaname View Post
    Let me see

1) they do not inform about delays until after product should have shipped.
    2) they lie about production status saying items have been produced/packed then backtrack saying they haven't.
    3) printed materials are substandard.
    4) material used for minis not fit for purpose (see sedition wars)
    5) false stretch goals (items held out of aim box to be added later as stretch goals)
    6) they use a sock puppet account on dakka to shout down naysayers

Shall I go on?
    Just for the record - we've delivered 10+ Kickstarters. We're not perfect certainly, but I'd like to think at least decent if you consider the number of repeat Kickstarter backers we have.

1/2 - Outside the USA, we rely on 3rd party logistics companies, from packing, container transport, to last mile delivery. Every step has opportunities for miscommunication and mishap as we receive information from different parts of the supply chain and sometimes this leads to incorrect information passed to backers. Some projects are smoother than others - we changed logistics providers for Europe late 2013 from the UK to Germany, and also added hubs in Australia and Canada. Outside the USA, there is a cheap, good and fast. Unfortunately, we need to pick two as far as shipping is concerned and are very upfront about shipping delays between hubs.

3 - This is news to me. Our product components, including printed material, are highly praised on Boardgamegeek and other review sites. Check out reviews for Zombicide, Rivet Wars, Arcadia Quest etc. Besides Sedition Wars, what other games have you backed that have substandard printed materials?

4 - Sedition Wars was our second foray into PVC miniatures after Super Dungeon Explore (with very well received miniatures) but I think, still fit for the purpose of a boardgame. We've improved over time, as is true for everyone else in the industry. Most people will be very pleased at the quality of figures for Wrath of Kings and the Others. Privateer Press uses the same material, and it is ideally suited for organic shapes.

5/6 - Are you making baseless allegations and passing them off as fact, or are you repeating this because you've seen this rubbish somewhere else? While the rest I can accept as your opinion, misunderstanding, or fair comment, these last two statements are hard not to take personally. Please take this garbage elsewhere if you must express yourself in this way.

In general, nothing is static and as a small company we are evolving rapidly - we've shipped nearly half a million board games since 2012 with a relatively small team of 15 to 20 people at any given time. We've got one of the most generous refund policies of any tabletop games company using Kickstarter (full refund, no questions asked within 60 days; refund less Kickstarter and Amazon fees at any time before your pledge is packed).

Quote Originally Posted by gohkm View Post
    With respect to CMON only, I think they are purely publishers - design, manufacturing, etc. are out of their control. That's probably why their webstore orders are processed so fast, but Kickstarters are slow.

It really should be restated that CMON Kickstarters tend to be okay generally if one is on the States.
    Our customer service is the same for the webstore and Kickstarter. Our webstore processes about 30 orders per day, but when Kickstarters ship this increases to hundreds or thousands, so communications slowdown while we work through the backlog. We're working on improving communication, but somethings still fall through the cracks - it's especially challenging when we can't get a hold of people via email until they start wondering where their stuff is, or try to contact us everywhere except our published support address, which needs to be routed to the correct parties. Our European backers on Kaosball, Arcadia Quest and Rivet Wars have benefited from far cheaper shipping rates without VAT but suffered from longer leadtimes - as we progress in training our logistics provider in China (and also being more careful about how we structure our rewards to lower complexity), I think this will reduce to be on par with North America.

We've also expanded our production, design and oversight capabilities with very experienced industry professionals and can now afford to be very picky about who we work with - from designers to manufacturers and everything in between.

Back to the OP:

Quote Originally Posted by Paireon View Post
    Sooo, I was wondering... Now that Rum & Bones is over, what'll be the next KS project CMoN launches, and when is the launch planned?
    We've got stuff pencilled into begin February/March - some stuff might need to move around based on how ready the games are. Nothing set in stone yet.
    Last edited by Chern Ann; 01-04-2015 at 08:30 PM.
    I like it firm and fruity!

Ah, so it's a backlog issue then. Thanks for the clarification, Chern Ann. Was this expressed in any shape or form to the Kickstarter backers, though? There seems to be a high level of unhappiness, particularly from non-States based backers. Surely, a statement from the CMON owner, such as your post above, could do much to alleviate the unhappiness?

In my experience, creating multiple updates where there isn't any "news" just creates a huge amount of confusion, especially when support tickets are within 1 or 2 business days of being sorted - "But I thought I already got my stuff/completed my survey/paid for shipping! Why are you sending me these extra emails?". There's literally no upside to doing that, it just generates more support tickets - and once issues are resolved it is a rare backer that goes back and publicly comments its been fixed. We'd need to hire another person just to update everyone about the status of XXX's order - "oh he forgot to pay for shipping, and missed all his emails", even if it were not highly inappropriate.
    I like it firm and fruity!

Fair enough.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post

For the low, low, price of 2.5M USD, you can purchase my support for this! Paypal, Credit Card, check and of course cash, all accepted!

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang