Blending question

Thread: Blending question

Default Blending question

Hello im new one here. I watching a lot of pics of your works guys and im very exciting of effects.
    I have newbie question: It is posssible to get the same airbrush effect of smooth transition one colour to another using only brush?
    Cheers

the same? no, not really. There is a distinct pattern in AB, that can be easily recognised.

But if you mean the same smooth gradiation, then yes it's possible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by glm View Post
    Hello im new one here. I watching a lot of pics of your works guys and im very exciting of effects.
    I have newbie question: It is posssible to get the same airbrush effect of smooth transition one colour to another using only brush?
    Cheers

Yes, totally possible. There are MANY top notch painters that don't use airbrushes. Getting good blends does take technique and practice though. Even with an airbrush it can be a lot of work

Throw up some pictures of your project and I am sure people will be happy to help you get to the "Perfect Blend"

Thanks guys for reply. Your anwsers resolve my doubts, becouse i don't have airbrush yet, and was thought only AB can make some smooth transitions.

Working with brush, to make some nice smooth colours tansitions, what tehniques i need to use? Layering and dry brush?

My journey to the deepest arcanas of wisdom and practice of newbie painter propably start this weekend. If some problems ocuure i will ask for help.
    First project will be Chaos Cultists form Dark Vengance. Cross fingers

Cheers

[quote]Layering and dry brush?[=quote]
    none of those
    altough layering with close colors that are thinned can work.

what I'd suggest:
    - glazing (mostly this)+feathering (helps the other)
    - wet-in-wet / wetblending (for speed at the beginning)

but... it's good to know all at least a bit. drybrush won't help with smooth transitions beyond a certain point (even if it's possible to take it to surprising levels), but it does help a lot with textured surfaces (chainmail, hair, fur)

Blog Entries

Here is a nice blending video from Studio McVey. I think this works really well for those Dark Vengeance Cultists too. Take a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw6QjE2a7A0

There are a lot of high-end painters who do not own an airbrush.
    It does however requires practice and patience, but then again, the airbrush won't work itself either and i'm sure also requires practice, maybe less patience..

Edit: Just realized I almost quoted DemiHuman's post, gotta find something useful to say now...
    Last edited by GreenOne; 01-14-2015 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOne View Post
    ...maybe less patience..
    If you want to keep your airbrush clean and workable, you need quite a bit of patience!
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

Ok, thanks a lot for suggested tehniques, i try them in first ocassion. That yt tutorial rly nice showing how to do this, im greatful for this one.
    But i never heard about feathering tehnique.

Meyby someone can send good tutorial or write clear description?

the airbrush won't work itself either and i'm sure also requires practice, maybe less patience..
    Yup i realize that, but i think need to get AB really quick becouse, read some rummors (don't remember where) that said AB undercoat better stick to minis.
    Thats true ?

Btw, today im going to buy some tools (brushes and paints), decide to buy for start 3-4 of them, numbers 00, 1, 3 and one for drybrush. What do you think guys, it it's enought?

Next question concern matter of paints. In near future i like to use AB and brushes as well.

What paints will be better Vallejo air or normal Vallejo gc paint?
    It is possible to use not Air series paints with AB work or i need to buy dedicated paints for this job?

Cheers

> feathering
    there is an article here on CMON, but basically: after you applied your layer/glaze you wash out the brush (or use a 2nd one) and with it go over the edge of the transition making it thinner and smoother.
    The mcvey video may use it also. It's really a small extra movement done without thinking about it.

>AB undercoat better stick to minis
    Tis a lie . No really, it has nothing to do with how good grip an undercoat gets. It may even be worse with AB as normally the layer is thinner.

> brush
    my advice:
    a good: 0, 1 (or 1, 2)
    a couple of cheap ones for washes/stirring paint/drybrush. For this I usually use a 15 brush for 1€ packages that sometimes I see in local shops like aldi, real, Tesco, etc.

> paint for AB and brush
    perfect: Andrea colors, Scale75, VGC-Air (from these I'd choose Scale75, but that's only because I'm biasd )
    good: VMC(better with brush), GW(better with brush), P3(better with brush), Tamiya (not so good with brush)
    bad (imho): VGC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ritual View Post
    If you want to keep your airbrush clean and workable, you need quite a bit of patience!
    Seriously!

Glm, my advice is to not buy an airbrush for now unless you plan on focusing on painting vehicles. Spray can primer works great. Paint for a while and read every thing you can. Start a WIP on the forums here, and try to attend a painting workshop or go to a show or convention. $100 spent on a painting lesson will make you a much better painter than the same money spent on an airbrush.

If you are really enjoying painting after a while buy an airbrush they are fun and I think can open some doors for intermediate painters.

When you are starting out my opinion is that an airbrush is a distraction. It's pretty hard to get good with one, and they are relatively expensive for the hobby.

What Demi said. Also, forget about "saving time" with and AB - any time made up using it is lost masking other areas, or being careful on details afterwards so you don't mess up the AB work. Then there is maintenance and set up. Learn to play with the bristles first the Air is a whole new learning curve.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

I thought the same about AB, it's not necessary at start for me. I hold on with this purchase. Today i buyed some nice brushes and 12 paints for start. Now i need to wait for weekend.
    Oh and one more question. It's some universal wash colour? Such can fit to most of washing situations. Meyby Citadel Agrax Earthshade?

Thanks for anwsers. Cheers.

best blending is done with strawberries, bananas, and a bit of vanilla ice cream,..
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

yes agrax is a good all-round wash.
    as was the old devlan mud ( Army painter's strong tone ink is the same)

I find myself reaching for my Vallejo Sepia Wash a lot, great wash for browns, beige, tan... even green or red and other colors. It has a richness that really makes the color pop, I see many pros use it too.