This is not a goat

Thread: This is not a goat

Default This is not a goat

Hi y'all

I am pleased to return here after a long absence and present to you my first project of this new year.
    Lots of fun doing fur, bark and other textured object.

Hope you like it, thanks for watching.

Vote thing

All the full size pictures here
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by GreenOne; 01-16-2015 at 10:58 PM.

Sorry for the bump.

So, zero reply, 21 votes, bordering a 7... I know I no longer have network here, and my style is never the flavor of the month, still, anyone sees something bringing it down ?
    CMON painter born and raised, soft seven and proud
    Gblaw studio online
    My latest, thanks for watching

Scores on the voting side are horribly arbitrary. There's also some "snipers" out there who purposefully knock other peoples scores down. But don't let that deter you. My personal style is probably the exact opposite of yours. I tend to paint "clean and cartoony" as opposed to your "gritty and realistic" style. And most of my stuff tends to hover around the 7 point mark as well. Much of it is subjective to personal opinion.

Looking at the piece itself, I like it. If I were to give you the basic critique (and only because you asked) that I think most others would toss your way, it would be this,..

1) push the contrast further: The flesh tones (for example) seem a bit muted. Yes, there is some muscle shading there,.. but if you took the shadow lines darker, and the highlights a bit whiter,.. it would help the piece pop.

2) color palette: You used roughly the same browns on the figure as you did for the trees. A bit of variation in the tones/colors, might help to draw the eye to the central character, instead of letting the eye wander over the entire piece.

3) metals: Your metals could use a bit more tonal variety. They are just sort of one shade of copper, with a black wash over it. Either add some reds/purples/green washes, and then re-glaze the copper color back over to just let a bit of the undertones show through,... or given that this is a wilderness beast, I'd say it's very unlikely that he has bright, shiny new copper axes. Chances are, the would have been scavenged from a battle or something at some point, and over time, the copper would "patina" to a black-ish-brown-ish color, with some blue-green oxidization on it. (google bronze and copper statues to see what I mean)

Hope this helped
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

Thanks Webmonkey. I don't let the score bother me, the site is befittingly called COOL mini or not, and cool is always volatile and arbitrary.
    its more about feedback, yet if the scores stagnate while I feel im improving it might indicate something i'm doing wrong that I don't see. And it's about getting the wheel turning, + feedback, + improvement, + better results, + better scores, +visibility, +feedback, etc.

Worthy pointers, I thought I already did all that, looks like I'll need to do even more of that in the future.
    Like the colors, I actually wanted to use colder tones than I did for the beast, looks like that was too subtle or got lost in the process, oh, well. Also did some oxydation on the blade which is also seemingly too subtle.
    It's hard to really find the sweet spot for striking contrast while keeping the muted, gritty, feeling that I like and am going for; its totally possible and better painters do it consistently so I'll have to try harder.
    Gblaw studio online

The painting is generally good, but I think you might need to revisit your colours, as Webmonkey has suggested. When I threw up this picture, it took me a moment or two to find the actual model - the diorama would benefit from a focus point, whether you do that through height, contrasting colours or some other technique.
    Models completed in 2016 so far: 16
    Models in WIP: 22

tp://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/gohkm

I see what you are getting at with this, both of you. Thanks for taking the moment or two.
    Gblaw studio online

Always happy to give an opinion and try to help. But then again,... take whatever I have to say with the proverbial grain of salt. If you've ever seen my work, I'm a terrible painter, and a total hack

Yeah, I remember your garage kits, I quite like them, nothing to be ashamed of, and less competition (On CMON anyway.). I was wondering what scale are these? Look big to me.
    Gblaw studio online

Typically somewhere in the 1/6th to 1/8th scale. Most pieces end up being roughly 10" tall.

Wonderful piece Greeney. What did you use for the tree?
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Tks BOK, the bark is papier-macher made with toilet paper and white glue, dried hemp stems and Woodland scenic clump foliage was used to fill it up. There are pictures of the process in my blog, but no text yet.
    http://gblawstudio.blogspot.ca/p/blog-page_24.html
    Gblaw studio online

Er....hemp stems, you say??? Genius!!!

Makes me wonder if anyone has ever used marijuana in their bases...could make for a cool fantasy chronic dio...Like Cheech and Chong walking through a weed forest!
    Last edited by BloodFather of Kharnath; 02-13-2015 at 12:16 AM.
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Quote Originally Posted by BloodFather of Kharnath View Post
    Er....hemp stems, you say??? Genius!!!

Makes me wonder if anyone has ever used marijuana in their bases...could make for a cool fantasy chronic dio...Like Cheech and Chong walking through a weed forest!
    I wouldn't push it that far... but dried discarded leaves also can be chopped up to make credible litter for forest bases too, thats recycling
    Gblaw studio online