Robot Witch needs some votes and feed back

Thread: Robot Witch needs some votes and feed back

Blog Entries

Default Robot Witch needs some votes and feed back

Painted for teh CMON contest so obviously would like votes. But also I tried a lot of different stuff on the is mini and I would like to hear what works for people and what doesn't. Sort of a sideways project for me.

I am particulary interested in what people think of:

The overall color composition of the figure and base.

The gears on the staff/wand she is holding

The freehand on the white robes

The base in general

The mesh on the base

Thanks, I love you!

http://www.coolminiornot.com/372696

Good to see her finished, a real beauty you should be proud.
    I fear the obvious focus issue will hurt your score tho. On a 'sprawling' piece like that you need to amp the F setting, and then compensate exposure or sharpness issues.
    Even the zoom ins to show the pretty freehand would be better if you cropped the blurry parts out. Would be a shame to have her let down by photography, so close to home.
    CMON painter born and raised, soft seven and proud
    Gblaw studio online
    My latest, thanks for watching

I think you have a truly original mini here and the basing really show cases your creative process
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

voted, and if I'm there on all the other entries too. You have some competition there. I found another 5 or so that I think is about the same as your mini or better looking.

on your questions:
    I find the composition about good, but the next one will need a bit more work, I can't decide on a focus point and the base doesn't help here either.

gears and staff: love them. altough staff looks a bit bent, but no idea if it was possible to fix it.

freehand: really faint, almost invisible. Shade them too, and if they are supposed to be even width, then you need to work on that too.

base: me like. Especially the gears

mesh on base: if you mean the little stips with holes, then they are the weakest part of the base. They mess up the composition/direction (the lines defined by them draw the eyes away from the figure). And hard to figure out what they represent (again because of the directions they are going they don't look like they were part of the 'walls' or something like that.)
    Last edited by MAXXxxx; 01-24-2015 at 03:13 PM.

Super different and a great imagination, thats what makes this mini so awesome. your painting is getting better buy the mini.

Blog Entries

Thanks Guys,

Maxx, I will try to be more confidant with the freehand. I think the lightness of the robes pull away from the face too much too and then the top of the plinth sort of defaults as the focus of the composition.

Green One, the camera focus was on purpose. I feel like having parts out of focus give the bigger minis more depth. I have been taking pictures that way lately, certainly haven't mastered it yet

It is common in photography, but I'm not aware that this is something thats appreciated for a miniature presentation, even if well done, but suit yourself.
    Doesn't work for me anyway, I prefer crispy crisp details.
    CMON painter born and raised, soft seven and proud
    Gblaw studio online
    My latest, thanks for watching