Epic's WIPs
Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Epic's WIPs

Default Eps Wipless Wip of Coffee and Cake

So I'm creating a WIP list to allow ppl to see what work I'm doing, comment so I can improve.

I've been working on a Necon Barge which is magnetised to have lord or the gun.

I wanted to try and replicate the special quantum shields that the Necrons are well known for but also I wanted to depict that the barge has been dug up after a few centuries.

Here is the result so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by EpicMiniArt; 08-10-2015 at 10:03 AM.
    Regards

David

Now that is quite a paintjob. The weathering looks fantastic and the color choices are spot on . Very nice follow up to the orks.. He's painting well now m8!! Papa blood is proud!!

you know that only you made this possible lol... I'm up to the parts on the colour theory book to start mixing paints but but I need to buy some paints, which I still do the basics are very good to learn.

I'm really happy with the rust result.

I wanted a more red hue to the rust so I used

two washes of thinned down Reikland flesh shade,
    I use a sponge and dabbed on some Rhinox Hide.
    I used Beasty brown in ramdom areas and Parasite brown on top of those random areas.
    I put Dark Red Ocre on the random areas and dusted the metal parts in Burnt umber.
    I applied a water down glaze of Reikland flesh shade

and that is the result.

for the quantum shielding, I used my airbrush and various shades of green and yellow to build up the layers and darkened the model with transparent green.

the bright green lines was a achieved by using thinned down oil yellow-green paint(which I applied a satin varnish before hand to protect the model)

and I think the red rust is a nice contrasting effect with the green parts of the model
    Last edited by EpicMiniArt; 02-01-2015 at 07:04 PM.
    Regards

David

Wonderful. Good subtle OSL Like it's just warming up to start sh** with the lesser races again o_O
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

https://linktr.ee/AlmostPerftec

I cannot Belive how you took to my instruction anyway your good at this don't ever quit..and when I finally get to go to uk I'll look you up.

some updates for the Necron barge, rather happy with the result
    Regards

David

I definitely like rusty Necrons and your's look great.

Thanks Infelix, I have thoroughly enjoyed painting this beautiful model. just got to do the basses, keeping them simple though as to not over power the model
    Regards

David

I cannot tell you dave how proud I am of my student and your a favorite of mine your not in my shadow anymore you have commandeered this miniature painting hobby...and admit it color theory rocks because as it is a type of language we think in my friend you are now "drawing with your right brain" and drawing (color theorizing) exceptionally well. My friend....

Ok think I'm gonna call it a day on this one, unless anyone can point out anything that could do with improvement?
    Regards

David

Is that a huge mold line in the back? The green needs weathering as well to be consistent with the rest of the model, my brain didn't like that, otherwise I can't see anything that bugs me.

Nice job

nah, its not a mould line, its where the two halfs fit together, I thought I'd filled it properly, its barely noticeable when you look at with your own eyes, but in a photograph is sticks out. typical. gonna have to fix that.

The reason the green wasn't weathered is because I was trying to replicate the special shielding that Necrons are well known for on there vehicles
    Regards

David

Quote Originally Posted by EpicMiniArt View Post
    nah, its not a mould line, its where the two halfs fit together, I thought I'd filled it properly, its barely noticeable when you look at with your own eyes, but in a photograph is sticks out. typical. gonna have to fix that.

The reason the green wasn't weathered is because I was trying to replicate the special shielding that Necrons are well known for on there vehicles
    Yeah I don't know about Necrons, sorry if i sounded raw it's just I was surprised and tired sometimes I say short sentences instead of elaborating.....
    I just tell things that bugs me, that's how i paint my mini, when something bugs me i try to make it so it don't anymore, OCD mini guy LOL

One day I will try a necron

raw and direct suits me just fine Teronus. I'd rather that than beat around the bush
    Regards

David

Quote Originally Posted by EpicMiniArt View Post
    raw and direct suits me just fine Teronus. I'd rather that than beat around the bush
    Well i figured if you get along with BAM I should get along with you

lright I looked at it here's an option again it doesn't need it but I think it may have a chance at giving a diff visual que...ok here's what you can try the green orb he's holding is the brightest type of green on the model and then there are dark greens and then like his osl face mid greens I notice these patches all along the model...ok you know how to plead what you can try is his face and r he actual patches on the barge (side ,front,back) bring all these areas up to a green just below the color of the orb.another words get more of the color scheme with does involve that bright green from the orb and evenly disperse it over the entire model ,I do understand bout the whole neuron thing but a huge factor in painting ting models is evenly displacing colors over the model shit ten ball taught me to incorporate colors into the base...and you can already blend and I have full faith in you dave you can get this done.sorry bud I was so tired last night I don't even remember writing you,but REM your good at this mini painting thing this is just an idea to entertain and I feel it would make a huge impact...I'm not telling you this cause your not a great painter,it's like telling a Dr he needs to cut somebody for surgery,I'm telling you these instructional words because you ARE a great painter and you have the technical knowhow to pull this off!

Option two you could edge highlight the lines all g the ships a bit brighter green not as bright as the computer grid line freehand but a brighter green none the less.

I started picking the model apart today after I've slept and start seeing exactly what you have said about the glows on being consistent throughout the model. I started correcting the Lord today and here is what he is like. I think I'd prefer to put brighter tones of green on the green hull rather than edge it. I feel that edging would would the away the shields reflecting over the armor plating but brightening up the tones wouldn't be such a bad idea.
    Regards

David

It's a nicely painted piece - even though I'm not a great fan of rusty Necrons. For me, the green sections on the barge don't come across as shielding but rather decorative elements, or sections made from a non-oxidizing metal or plastic. It's a big ask but I think adding a subtle green osl to the metal faces surrounding the shielded sections to give the impression of energy would really sell the notion.

Edit: darnit, didn't see your latest post before I sent the reply.