Women in Minis - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Women in Minis

Minis aren't people.
    Some people just like to do stuff without it being a social statement, that's what I thought about gamer gate and what I think now.

The vulgarization of the gamer/hobbyist as a quasi-virgin basement dweller, that even permeates the prejudice of people who know better is appalling and very facile, inaccurate and doesn't even scratch the surface of why we like to sculpt and paint naked female; to relate this to any actual sexual objectification is narrow-minded. Skin is fun to paint... light and round shapes are a challenge of their own... etc.
    Feminism in the new century is a hot plate of dung imo, treat the macho patriarchal assholes with the contempt they deserve, leave the rest of us alone.
    CMON painter born and raised, soft seven and proud
    Gblaw studio online
    My latest, thanks for watching

Blog Entries

+1 for more smaller boobs

I liked OP's blog post. Pretty hilarious to me. Sometimes the big boobs look silly. My last project had GIANT boobs to the detriment of the over-all figure. It' just looked silly, like if the hands were sculpted to big. "This Death Stalkers King Prince is awesome but why does he have mickey mouse hands?" On the other hand, poorly sculpted or otherwise, I think there are more crappy sculpts out there than really good ones. Those Skaven flying around on giant goat horns??? No thanks.

I have two CMON female models and both of them have boobs that I would prefer to have been sculpted smaller.

As far as the stereotyping of gamers as mouth breathing basement dwellers... I have to say i sort of like it. I know, stereotype's are bad, but I love that look of bewilderment when I explain my hobby to an outsider. I really am that nerdy, but it's not like I am a LARP'er, those guys are dorks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

@GreenOne: But this macho thing you are talking about... it's not either you're a sinner or a saint. We all do stuff that is shitty and stuff that is nice... so when people say stop doing the shitty stuff and try to be a bit nicer, listen to their experience is, I think, a pretty solid idea.

As per GG there is some kind of extraordinary misconception that everything goes out the window and everything should be PC all the time. Of course you can't listen to everyone that has an issue with any part of a game or a community. But to just not see that there is a problem is just to be voluntary blind out of, I don't know, convenience? Sure do that if you lack the strength, stay in your little bubble. But don't say stuff against the people that care. Don't confuse your problem with someone elses. It's on you, not the ones pointing out the obvious, that actually are trying to make other people's life a little less shitty. Does it hurt so much to be a bit more open so that more people can join the fun? Look at the MIG weathering magazine. No problem, no? I do think we are a pretty open community in general though, at least that is that I hope.

Patton Oswald wrote well about his realizations regarding rape jokes... scroll down.

I don't pretend to agree with every feminist opinion voiced on Tumblr but I am a feminist non the less. It's as simple as that I acknowledge that there is a problem and that I want to do something about it.

I was a feminist before it was mainstream.
    Not a big proponent of trying to 'fix' people, much less their forms of expression, so to the extent that there is not violence or limiting others in their freedoms. See, it all started back then as a genuine liberation from oppressive patriarchal values, but along the way lot of this turned into sanctimonious people trying to impose their tastes on others. There was no gamers or media back in those days when (Men) becames oppressors just because they could, its not how it happened or how we will go back in that dierection, quite the opposite. There is a lot to say about satire, ironic distance, whereas the enacting of those libidinal 'perversions' in a context that is, I repeat, dissociated from society or any actual relation of power actually undermines the prejudice, not enforce it.
    It is a non-argument, and I dont believe cleaning up our act in our mediatic fantsies will have even a slight benifice in the actual social relationships, where there is a lot of work to do still, but I dont look for PC-ism for solutions.
    Gblaw studio online

In my opinion people can buy whatever miniatures they choose: pinups or generic 10 a penny goblins a like! In the privacy of their own home people can paint whatever models inspire them, although bringing them to a gaming table is another matter all together. That's all about context and knowing your audience.

I am a big fan of Kingdom Death but have friends who actively despise the range and everything the company stands for (because of the pinups and gratuitous monsters). I love both the pinups and the monsters although having said that there are a few models that just don't appeal to me. The Kingdom Death interpretation of Satan for example. It doesn't offend me, I just find it a bit of a head shaker and a bit juvenile. I understand the thinking behind it but it isn't for me.

I know what I like and respect other peoples opinions if they disagree. At the same time it won't stop me buying and appreciating the art I enjoy.

As I hinted in my first paragraph I find a lot of miniatures in the hobby are old hat, concepts that have been done to death. Boring. Pinup sculpts appeal to me for the skill of capturing beauty in miniature (a huge challenge) and spark my excitement more than yet another goblin or sci fi warrior. My hobby time is spent alone so the only person I risk offending with my purchases is my gf. As such my pinup miniatures are (for now) in hiding!
    Quote Originally Posted by A Luna View Post
    Consider yourself quoted!

In response to the poster of this thread, from a lady painter POV I love all the difference out there. There is something for everyone's tastes because if we all liked the same that would get old, fast. My latest tastes range from E2046 'mini's' to the Raging Hero's range of lady fighter's.

At the end of the day, we love to paint models and with the may the model market is growing atm we'll have plenty of ladies to paint in the future

Quote Originally Posted by crystella333 View Post
    In response to the poster of this thread, from a lady painter POV I love all the difference out there. There is something for everyone's tastes because if we all liked the same that would get old, fast. My latest tastes range from E2046 'mini's' to the Raging Hero's range of lady fighter's.

At the end of the day, we love to paint models and with the may the model market is growing atm we'll have plenty of ladies to paint in the future
    Amen! Those sisters of mercy from raging heroes? I hear the KS is coming in may and i also hear rumors GW will be doing plastic sisters in may? What am i gonna do? SO many nuns with guns I almost feel bad for my wallet... almost.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOne View Post
    I was a feminist before it was mainstream.
    I am not.
    What I am is a Humanist, believing that we should all be treated with equality regardless of gender.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    I am not.
    What I am is a Humanist, believing that we should all be treated with equality regardless of gender.
    agreed,. but I would also add in equality for race, religion, sexual preference, age.. or any other label that one might choose to use to define person or group.

With one exception,.. I must admit that I'm totally bigoted against jerks, butt-heads, ass-hats, and morons.
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    I am not.
    basically thats what feminism is all about

Quote Originally Posted by SkelettetS View Post
    basically thats what feminism is supposed to be all about
    FYP

Just like Christianity is supposed to be about loving thy neighbor, if you catch my drift.
    Gblaw studio online

I'm GOING OUT ON THE LIMB HERE GET THING IN OL ED IN THIS BUT "I DID NOT I E KINGS KONG FIRST AND THEN MY EYES WONDER ED DIRECTLY TO THE VERY END WED FEMALE,AT THAT POINTS I DID T REMEBER KINGS KONG OR ANYTHING AND STARS RUDELY FOR AL MOST 3 MINUTES!"...: (

Quote Originally Posted by BloodASmedium View Post
    I'm GOING OUT ON THE LIMB HERE GET THING IN OL ED IN THIS BUT "I DID NOT I E KINGS KONG FIRST AND THEN MY EYES WONDER ED DIRECTLY TO THE VERY END WED FEMALE,AT THAT POINTS I DID T REMEBER KINGS KONG OR ANYTHING AND STARS RUDELY FOR AL MOST 3 MINUTES!"...: (
    WTF did I just read?

But to comment on the main topic of this thread.
    I objected to the seemingly mandatory penises Mierce adorn much of their large, monstrous minis with.
    My issue wasn't their presence, but the reason BEHIND them.

I do understand when someone objects to a sexualised aspect of a mini.
    But you have to take the subject matter into account.

I wrote about the excessive uses of penises in Mierce's monstrous minis:

Druc, for example:

The point isn't that this large crature has exposed genitalia, it's that the penis is external.
    External penises are solely found in primates.
    They also placed a penis on the Risen Krakken, but again, chose a mammalian..nay, HUMAN penis.

It's not the nudity (German upbringing, nude beach-goer here) that I object to, but the biological accuracy.

A large scrotum sack swinging below their magnificent Chimerae? Perfect, thanks, now I know he's a boy.
    A HUGE penis that would simply get in the way, drag along the ground, and in every way be a detriment to the combat ability of Druc..err...no, thanks any way.

Quote Originally Posted by yxalitis View Post
    A HUGE penis that would simply get in the way, drag along the ground, and in every way be a detriment to the combat ability of Druc..err...no, thanks any way.
    What!? they dont drag on the ground!?!
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    What!? they dont drag on the ground!?!
    Just coz you have little legs!
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    , and proud of it.

Im a woman in game development and would really like people to stop speaking for women.

I think that we need to respect the artists and their visions for a model or character. They should be allowed to dress their sculpts in any way they want without being scared into censorship. Wether they want their characters in layers of armor or a string bikini, they should be free to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmingbot View Post
    Im a woman in game development and would really like people to stop speaking for women.
    good for you.
    i am sorry i find that comment pretty lame. you mean by the fact im male i cant have an opinion in this?

When you say people do you mean men?
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmingbot View Post
    I think I understand that you don't want to be portrayed as the "Helpless Girl".
    Most men who've stayed married as long as I have (36 years) know most women aren't helpless.
    But sometimes we men are happy to step up to support women especially after the GamerGate issues against Felicia Day.
    , and proud of it.