Opinion - 3 player game with 2 Heroes per side isnt enough

Thread: Opinion - 3 player game with 2 Heroes per side isnt enough

Lightbulb Opinion - 3 player game with 2 Heroes per side isnt enough

Played my first 3-player game last night. My two friends are a seriously difficult duo, as I swear they have a mind meld with each other. That being said, I found that 2 Heroes and 4 Tide Cards per side really slows the game down and removes the excellent element of combos from the game.

My friends hadnt played it before, but as I described my opinion based on previous games, they agreed that that standard 1v1 option of 3 Heroes and 3 Tide Cards would be much better. They're big boys - they play as such a team that having an odd number of models wont affect them much. They took turns rolling the dice anyway, so we think it'll work better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kealios View Post
    Played my first 3-player game last night. My two friends are a seriously difficult duo, as I swear they have a mind meld with each other. That being said, I found that 2 Heroes and 4 Tide Cards per side really slows the game down and removes the excellent element of combos from the game.

My friends hadnt played it before, but as I described my opinion based on previous games, they agreed that that standard 1v1 option of 3 Heroes and 3 Tide Cards would be much better. They're big boys - they play as such a team that having an odd number of models wont affect them much. They took turns rolling the dice anyway, so we think it'll work better.
    There is a good thread on boardgamegeek.com in which users have been working on 4P maps for using all four factions at once (rather than playing 2 factions with 2 players per team). Here's the link:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread...4-factions-map

I have been thinking the best 3P option would be to set up a four-faction map like this and simply leave the unused faction's ship empty. Remove the spawn points facing that ship. Then you have a "neutral zone" between players that is a longer route to each enemy but lacks the interference of deckhands.

Also, people have been making 3 player maps as well, so as to speed the game along. Hopefully these changes and more will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Archer View Post
    Also, people have been making 3 player maps as well, so as to speed the game along. Hopefully these changes and more will help.
    I haven't seen any 3-player maps yet. Can you share were you've found them?

For a 3-player game, we've been toying around with 3 characters vs. 4. The 2-player team would have 4 active characters( no more than 2 apiece), but can only activate 3 of them in any given turn. On each 2-player turn, the players alternate going first. So, on turn 1, team player A goes, followed by player B. On turn 2, the order flips. The first player in each turn decides whether to use one or both of his Heroes, with the second player then having the balance remaining for that turn. We also let the single player side have 4 cards and each of the team players have 3 apiece. This seems to allow for more of the card combos that are available in the standard, 2-player game.