Does Games Workshop make the best plastic?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Games Workshop make the best plastic?

Default Does Games Workshop make the best plastic?

So one of the people at my gaming club said the plastic GW uses tocast its miniatures is a lot better quality than what all other companies who produce miniatures in the medium [such as PSC and revell] and that said other producers plastic is sually recycled to be as cheap as possible, is this accurate in any way? to

From my experience GW plastics are a very high quality. (unlike the finecast )
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

they make high quality plastics, but not the best anymore.
    Imho that would go to WGR (I think they are called that), makers of the wyrd and kingdom death plastics (and very likely quite a few others too).

quite simply the quality of their plastics(for example in KD) are reaaally close to the resin figures, and those were not without tiny details to begin with. ATM I think they are amazing.

on the model front most Japanese companies are years in the future compared to gw. Of course these kits are pricey, but wow they are good.

and of course there is the 'much better for the price' category, where quite a lot of historical mini manufacturers are (Perry minis for example).

tl:tr;
    they are good, but not the best.

The detail level of the plastic of Wyrd, and assume also KD, is really nice. But at least Wyrd (never seen KD live) can take some lessons from GW when it comes to putting their kits together.

putting kd together is ok, cleverly cut and with keys to make assembly easy, so that's a plus too.

/irony on
    And how could I forget the best, Palladium's RT game. They are mouthwatering good...
    /irony off

I'm not talking about the quality of sculpt or casting or pricing or anything here. This is just about the quality of the actual plastic GW are using and whever you people think if it really is the best in the industry.

we were talking about the casting + arrangement of parts.

if you really interested in the material only: there is no percievable difference between different companies who work with this kind of plastic.

Yep, I really can't understand why anyone would think that

Quote Originally Posted by Oboe Concerto View Post
    This is just about the quality of the actual plastic GW are using and whever you people think if it really is the best in the industry.
    If you think that, why ask the question in the first place? You have made your mind up from the start.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill

Apologies , misread your post. Thought you said 'whatever you people think'. !

GW uses a nice styrene of good quality. Its a tad softer than the stuff wyrd and KD uses but not enough to where the difference is that you can see.

As someone who works in plastics, if GW doesn't recycle, it is just throwing a huge amount of profit right out the door. That said, you can add quite a bit of recycled material without effecting the quality of most plastics as well, GW's plastic included.
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by Avelorn View Post
    The detail level of the plastic of Wyrd, and assume also KD, is really nice. But at least Wyrd (never seen KD live) can take some lessons from GW when it comes to putting their kits together.

Some?

Wyrds miniatures are absolutely rubbish to put together.

Sadly KD is SO not my thing, so i can't comment on the plastics.

I have had great experience with Dreamforge Games plastics, but i would still ratw GW as the best plastic makers. The engineering of some kits is just amazing.

But if I where to cast a wider net. Then Bandai's gundam kits, the Master Grade and Perfect Grade lines, are king.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Quote Originally Posted by moetle View Post
    GW uses a nice styrene of good quality. Its a tad softer than the stuff wyrd and KD uses but not enough to where the difference is that you can see.

As someone who works in plastics, if GW doesn't recycle, it is just throwing a huge amount of profit right out the door. That said, you can add quite a bit of recycled material without effecting the quality of most plastics as well, GW's plastic included.
    GW recycles.

Quote Originally Posted by marjedi View Post
    GW recycles.
    GW recycles?
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I have liked wyrds kits way more than GW's kits. More details, every model in the kits are different. Every GW kit, on the other hand, is basically a space marine or a modified space marine. The tanks and flyers are even worse. How many versions of the "rhino" are there now?
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

Brush Brother Moetle

I have liked wyrds kits way more than GW's kits. More details, every model in the kits are different. Every GW kit, on the other hand, is basically a space marine or a modified space marine. The tanks and flyers are even worse. How many versions of the "rhino" are there now?
    That is a whole nother discussion.

I really like space marines, so i am happy.

So you can say wyrd kits are rubbish, but I cant say GW kits are all the same?

You can have your opinion, sir, but so can I.

Brush Brother Moetle

So you can say wyrd kits are rubbish, but I cant say GW kits are all the same?

You can have your opinion, sir, but so can I.

I didn't say wyrd kits are rubbish. I saif they where really finnicky and annoying to put together. That is not something to do with how they look. But you replied with a typical GW basher reply. And i am pretty fed up with reading those every where.

Quote Originally Posted by Oboe Concerto View Post
    I'm not talking about the quality of sculpt or casting or pricing or anything here. This is just about the quality of the actual plastic GW are using and whever you people think if it really is the best in the industry.
    I just leave this quote here.

Quote Originally Posted by marjedi View Post
    I didn't say wyrd kits are rubbish. I saif they where really finnicky and annoying to put together. That is not something to do with how they look. But you replied with a typical GW basher reply. And i am pretty fed up with reading those every where.
    I have gone of subject and for that I am sorry.

I'm not a typical GW basher, I just said the kits are all the same. And they are. In my gaming groups we all used to buy the Chaos rhino that was the same price as the SM rhino but had the "chaos symbols" and just give those to the chaos players. There are tons of other kits that are the same.

For the record I have more GW products than anything else.

This isn't the only thread to go off subject though, especially here lately...

Brush Brother Moetle