Harlequin Solitaire - First stab at NMM

Thread: Harlequin Solitaire - First stab at NMM

Default Harlequin Solitaire - First stab at NMM

I don't normally post on the forums but I'm looking for some constructive criticism here as it's my first ever attempt at painting Non-Metallic Metals and I really want to get better at it.

CMON: http://www.coolminiornot.com/375331

I still have trouble getting my paint consistency right every time. I've only been thinning with water and this experience has convinced me I need to get some drying retarder so I can wet blend more easily. I also know that the lighting on the metallic surfaces isn't exactly right, this was because during painting the models wrist broke and after repairing it the pose was slightly different. I didn't want to go back and redo all of the surfaces I'd done as I had a deadline looming.

This is very good work,
    The colours and blending on the legs and face are well placed and smooth , as are the light reflections and highlights.
    A few errors (that I still do) you have jumped to soon to the final White highlight in places (fingers & on the gold)
    Also the black needs working up, needs more shades of grey to create depth.
    The White symbols are well painted but the line above needs sharpening up.
    Get the edge highlights ascribe and crisp as possible .
    Well done
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    This is very good work,
    The colours and blending on the legs and face are well placed and smooth , as are the light reflections and highlights.
    A few errors (that I still do) you have jumped to soon to the final White highlight in places (fingers & on the gold)
    Also the black needs working up, needs more shades of grey to create depth.
    The White symbols are well painted but the line above needs sharpening up.
    Get the edge highlights ascribe and crisp as possible .
    Well done
    The white symbols are secretly a decal - don't tell anybody My freehand is my weakest area right now. I started painting Harlequins as an attempt to improve it but mostly I end up sobbing into my water pot.

This is all great criticism especially about jumping to white too soon. I still have trouble highlighting soft black surfaces for some reason. Every time I attempt it my brain keeps going "Nope that's too bright it's not black anymore". My hard black surfaces are fine and I have the opposite problem where I have difficulty painting hard white surfaces.

The blending on the legs and face were actually done with dry pigments which I was experimenting with on this figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob451 View Post
    The white symbols are secretly a decal - don't tell anybody My freehand is my weakest area right now. I started painting Harlequins as an attempt to improve it but mostly I end up sobbing into my water pot.
    There is only one cure...practise, practise and practise. You may find it helpful to try working in a sketchbook to sharpen the abilities

This is all great criticism especially about jumping to white too soon. I still have trouble highlighting soft black surfaces for some reason. Every time I attempt it my brain keeps going "Nope that's too bright it's not black anymore". My hard black surfaces are fine and I have the opposite problem where I have difficulty painting hard white surfaces.
    For soft surfaces, try going away from the concept of grey. Instead add an earth tone brown, in small amounts to lighten, softens the black. For shiny type but still black add blue to the surfaces which are intended to receive or are closest too, the light. .
    Hope that might help.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Hope that might help.
    Indeed it has. I'm painting up some Night Goblins for Warhammer Quest right now and putting your advice into practice on their robes and so far it looks far better.

You should be very, very pleased with your results. A natural...your future is so bright you need matt medium.
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

A nicely painted model.

Some feed back;

-Change the white background. this will immediately show of your work better. White can be very blinding making your work appear darker than it actually is.

-Your painting is nice and neat! Keep it that way as you develop. It's the key to making "grittier/dirtier" paintjobs look sharp and high in quality.

-Do not go the route of drying retarders or flow improver. Though they may help you get the result you want, they do it be denying you the opportunity to develop your skills with just water.

- your NMM colour choices are good

Enjoy!!!

T

I'VE ADDED WEBCAM LESSONS NOW TOO!
    And a YOUTUBE channel
    Instagram and FaceBook too

I often hear about "neat" and "clean" painting, and I can recognize it when I see it. Still, how does one strive for this? What steps can I take to be a cleaner painter? My blends have always been smooth, but I think I haven't been able to capitalize on that for neatness.
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17